Kimmie Messiner article | Golden Skate

Kimmie Messiner article

MKFSfan

Medalist
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.meissner14jun14,0,4897992.story?track=rss

"I like piano music, but I can't skate to it," Meissner said. "At least I don't think so."

She comes off so humble! I think she would have been awkward skating to piano music as she was last year.

So this year, the coaches will concentrate on softening Meissner's arm motions, getting her to put more passion into her performance and honing her interpretation of the music.

Sounds like someone's been reading the boards!

Also, says she has put the 3axle back in.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting. And that last sentence is right on- this year will prove what she's made of. But it's tough for anyone to defend a title.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm loving this kid more every day. She does seem so humble and grounded ... I just hope she stays that way. This coming year should be exciting!

nymkfan51 said:
I'm loving this kid more every day. She does seem so humble and grounded ... I just hope she stays that way. This coming year should be exciting!
I'm feeling the same way, and when I think about it, I didn't give two hoots for her before the Worlds,

RD is correct, defending a title is not easy. She doesn't have to defend Nationals but she does Worlds. For Nationals, the pressure is on Sasha, and this will be important for her to make up for the bronze at Worlds.

For 2007 Worlds, Kimmie has to face the onslaught of Mao and Kim. If her 3A has become consistent, any improvement in the flow of her arms will make the judges stand up. We'll see. Mau, Kim and Kimmie are my early picks for the podium (but that can change after the GPs). Sleepers but goodies are still: Sasha, Fumie, and Joannie to break into that podium finish.

Joe

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
She really does seem SOOOOOOOOOO down to earth. She's been hyped to death since she was a tiny little novice, but she never lets it go to her head. I can't wait to see how she grows and improves over the next few seasons. I'd love to see her on the top of the podium at Nats this season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
At least publically she does. Maybe in her mind or when the cameras are off she's like, "I'm the best ever!" or "This is a must win for me!" I'm not fooled by PC comments :laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I will say it again - so I toot my own horn:p - the girl (kimmie) has something. I have faith in her!

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
At least publically she does. Maybe in her mind or when the cameras are off she's like, "I'm the best ever!" or "This is a must win for me!" I'm not fooled by PC comments :laugh:

No way, you can tell by her aura that is not like that.

I think Michelle and Sasha definitely have the attitude you describe. But you sorta have to when you have that much talent.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:

I'm sure she's alot more confident following her win, but I think she's still got that just a kid loving skating and making a break for it aura. But I do think the majority of elite athletes have the attitude "I CAN win!" going into competitions, and that can be healthy (and helpful!).

I don't mind PC comments-the opposite are such a turn off for me anyway!
:clap:

Red Dog said:
RD - Do you find something wrong with keeping a posititve attitude? As for 'her mind', I'm not sure you know Kimmie and certainly not what she's thinking. You seem to be speculating on her mind without any knowledge of the lady in question. What I'm trying to say is that your speculation could be applied to all competitors: Sasha; Bebe; Emily; Alissa and a host of international skaters, too.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
I'm sure she's alot more confident following her win, but I think she's still got that just a kid loving skating and making a break for it aura. But I do think the majority of elite athletes have the attitude "I CAN win!" going into competitions, and that can be healthy (and helpful!).

I think she enjoys skating, too. I just think that she wants it more than she indicates in interviews, etc. Did you see her up in the stands at the Olympics...that was almost a Kwan-type look she had!

Finally, in that article it's indirectly admitted by team Meissner that she wants the US title. Good for her and go for it. I think she'll win it, too, if she stays on her feet. I don't think any other US lady can give her a run for her money- at this point, that is...

I don't mind PC comments-the opposite are such a turn off for me anyway!
:clap:

It's ok to be PC but I tend to like it when a person is a little more honest and outspoken (not too outspoken, though). Just my taste.

As for 'her mind', I'm not sure you know Kimmie and certainly not what she's thinking. You seem to be speculating on her mind without any knowledge of the lady in question. What I'm trying to say is that your speculation could be applied to all competitors: Sasha; Bebe; Emily; Alissa and a host of international skaters, too.

You're right, it can be applied to everyone. But don't you think ALL of us do that (" speculating on her mind without any knowledge of the lady in question") when we speculate? We all don't know these athletes, but we say what we think about them all the time. IMO, nothing harmless in doing so.

MKFSfan

Medalist
OK, then I do agree with you there. I think Kimmie is a fierce competitor and she wants to win all the titles. I just don't think being very confident and having desire to win has to mean she's only being PC in her comments. Noone wins major competitions just because they love what they do! My point about liking PC comments is why they aren't being PC, many athletes come off cocky and bitter, not as if they are merely being honest. Like, for example, noone can deny Michelle is in it to win or else she would have turned pro years ago, but I don't need to hear her say,"My intention is to whip Kimmie's butt! She has a 3axle, so what? And Sasha, she thinks she can beat me this year?! We'll see about that!" I rather them let their skating speak for themselves.

And I agree-her look in the stands was very serious, business-like and competitive, not just,"Oohh! I'm at the Olympics! Yay, me!"

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Noone wins major competitions just because they love what they do!

Exactly. How many folks out there simply enjoy playing a sport or a game...but have no real skill at it? But I believe it also works the other way...you can be the hardest worker but if you don't enjoy it, you're basically not going to be happy whatever the outcome...and looks to me that in order to be a successful figure skater you really do have to enjoy it since your emotions are basically on display out there. JMO

antmanb

Record Breaker
Zuranthium said:

I think Michelle and Sasha definitely have the attitude you describe. But you sorta have to when you have that much talent.

Have you and Johnny been checking her aura?! :p

Ant

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Zuranthium said:

And what attitude would that be? Both Sasha and Michelle are very talented
skaters that is fact. If Kimmie adopts their attitude she is in good company.

Red Dog said:
I think she enjoys skating, too. I just think that she wants it more than she indicates in interviews, etc. Did you see her up in the stands at the Olympics...that was almost a Kwan-type look she had!
RD - Your generalities really get to me.:chorus: Apparently, you believe that no other contestant for the title at Nationals wants to win. wow!
btw. What is a Kwan-type look?
Finally, in that article it's indirectly admitted by team Meissner that she wants the US title. Good for her and go for it. I think she'll win it, too, if she stays on her feet. I don't think any other US lady can give her a run for her money- at this point, that is...
Thanks for pointing that fact out RD. We all thought that she wanted to place last.:laugh:
It's ok to be PC but I tend to like it when a person is a little more honest and outspoken (not too outspoken, though). Just my taste.
Good taste, RD But how much more honest could Kimmie be for your taste?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, to be quite frank your smart-*** posts are getting to me, too. But I'm not even going to bother responding this time. Except for the question about the Kwan type look.

You know, that "dagger" stare that Kwan used to give all the time when she competed. If looks could kill, she'd be an assassin. :laugh:

I would post an example but the site I want to get to seems to be down...:scowl:

soogar

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Well, to be quite frank your smart-*** posts are getting to me, too. But I'm not even going to bother responding this time. Except for the question about the Kwan type look.

You know, that "dagger" stare that Kwan used to give all the time when she competed. If looks could kill, she'd be an assassin. :laugh:

Actually I was just watching a bunch of Sasha vids and there was one of Sasha's debut at Nationals when she won the SP over Michelle. The camera focused on Michelle's face and she had the ugliest look on her face when it was announced that Sasha took first place.

Michelle always has an ugly look on her face when one of her competitors places over her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtNUh0vYDH4&search=sasha%20cohen%20nationals%20debut