Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

parma

On the Ice
OK, I know I'm really reaching here but could it be that Yuna and her team did not know Orser was gay and they just found out recently and felt uncomfortable about it?

Every Korean fan of Yuna's knows about that. No way.

Mafke

Medalist
I don't think for a second that he had any romantic feelings for her, but let's look at the scenario - An older, but handsome and distinguished man paying a lot of close one-on-one solicitous attention to a teenage female on the edge of womanhood. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she had a major crush on him at some point (and got over it in due time).

Obviously we have no way of knowing if something like that did ever happen (I'd give it no greater than 50-50 odds) but it's perfectly within the bounds of the normal and ordinary.

(and the now infamous tweet did have a kind of woman scorned air about it, but I put that down to imperfect English)

feraina

Record Breaker
Well, if I'm even remotely right, then we can be sure that we will never, ever find out in public the real reason for the split. Kim's team certainly won't say, and if anyone else knows, say David Wilson, they will certainly not say anything to the media, and also not to Brian Orser himself.

This, btw, may also explain why David is still working with Yuna (since there wouldn't have been any kind of real conflict between Orser and Kim), and why there hasn't been any retirement announcement from Yuna -- I don't think she was seriously considering that. Although now she has lost Brian Orser, who has been a pillar in her corner, I think she might not find enough motivation to go on.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
OK, I know I'm really reaching here but could it be that Yuna and her team did not know Orser was gay and they just found out recently and felt uncomfortable about it?

No because if they felt uncomfortable about Orser being gay then they would feel the same way with David Wilson, who is way more obviously gay than Orser.

feraina

Record Breaker
There were a couple of posts about Koreans being "cold", I have to disagree. I have wonderfully warm Korean friends. And plus a few years ago when I had insomnia and would find nothing on TV late at night except Korean soap opera, I watched episode after episode of tear-jerking, heart-wrenching, doomed love stories. Koreans are anything but "cold", if they can produce and stomach that kind of soap opera. It was a lot more melodramatic than American soap opera, or even Chinese or Spanish ones -- that's saying a lot! :p

About there being no way Kim's team only recently found out Brian's gay... I met an avid Japanese Weir fan while traveling in Argentina last year, and she was absolutely shocked and appalled that he's gay. She and her skating friends had noooooo idea. I ended up feeling rather sad I broke the news to her, given her reaction. So maybe not *every* single Korean knows that Brian's gay?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm pretty stunned by this development. It really did come from nowhere (for me), as I clearly thought the team of Orser-Wilson-Kim to be one of the all time great ones. Orser allowing Kim to develop emotionally on ice (you hear/read stories about how stoic/unemotional she was on ice, and then see her in "El Tango de Roxanne" at 2007 Worlds and it's clear that he helped her immensely), Wilson creating those COP programs that both worked the system and allowed her to shine, and of course her own talent and determination to succeed.

In the end I wish them both continued success, regardless of how this ended - it seems fractious from all the competing reports (and that interview with Kim's agent really rubs me wrong, even allowing for language issues). I look forward to what Bourne creates for Kim. I can't wait to see where Orser takes Rippon, Gao et al in the next season and onwards. I hope Yu-Na doesn't retire, but if she does she'll do so being an icon of the sport, both for her country and the world; she'll leave having a complete set of world medals (which is strangely important to me) and being the most dominant Olympic Gold Medalist perhaps ever. I can't wait to see where the road takes these two talented individuals.

Simoncat

Rinkside
Maybe we are missing something right in front of our noses. Kim YuNa has been in close association with Michelle Kwan recently. Michelle Kwan(or parent) discharged Frank Carroll at the height of her career in order to keep the money expended on coaching in their own hands. Michelle Kwan was never as good again. It is hard to see this happening again,but I see another pattern of parenta;l control and greed and a great skater sacrificed. There is also the issue raised in some quarters that Kim YuNa was resting on her laurels and was not interested in increasing her technical ability. Another repeat pattern there?

feraina

Record Breaker
Maybe we are missing something right in front of our noses. Kim YuNa has been in close association with Michelle Kwan recently. Michelle Kwan(or parent) discharged Frank Carroll at the height of her career in order to keep the money expended on coaching in their own hands.

Nah, Brian said very clearly in one article that it was not about money. They never had a contract, and he charges everyone $110/hour, including Yu-na. He said he must be the lowest paid skating coach at this level. There's no way Yu-na can find another coach as good for this price, never mind someone better!

Here's another article with a little more quote from Brian.
http://www.610cktb.com/news/15/1193232

"We said, 'We're kind of confused, we don't really know what's going on here, because everything was just sort of left,'" Orser said. "She said, 'I'm confused too,'and she was crying, so Tracy and I said, 'We've had four great years and we don't want to take away anything from that, we've all learned some wonderful things. Whatever you decide to do, we'll support you.'And that's the truth."

Yu-na was *crying*, and she won't say why. Plus her tweet. Plus his genuine confusion...

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
What's next? Has Yuna's mother lined up a new coach for her or will she leave the coaching position open and handle it herself?

With Yuna and MJ both leaving it appears Brian does have an opening or two.

Have there been any Mao sightings in Toronto :eek:

bekalc

Record Breaker
#146 ImaginaryPogue
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
Add as Contact
Custom Title

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date Jun 2009
Location Canada
Posts 1,421 I'm pretty stunned by this development. It really did come from nowhere (for me), as I clearly thought the team of Orser-Wilson-Kim to be one of the all time great ones. Orser allowing Kim to develop emotionally on ice (you hear/read stories about how stoic/unemotional she was on ice, and then see her in "El Tango de Roxanne" at 2007 Worlds and it's clear that he helped her immensely), Wilson creating those COP programs that both worked the system and allowed her to shine, and of course her own talent and determination to succeed.

I always thought from the interviews that it was DAVID who opened up Yu-na emotionally. I remember reading an interview in 2007 where Brian mentioned that he and Yu-na have very much a coach/student relationship but that David and Yu-na do things together outside of skating. He takes Yu-na to shows etc. And also it was David who mentioned his goal of trying to get Yu-na to smile. Don't get me wrong it seemed liked Brian and Yu-na got a lot closer later on, but I always thought Yu-na was way closer with David Wilson than she was with Brian.

And I really don't see Yu-na falling for Brian. I mean I could be wrong, but I mean dont' get me wrong Orser is attractive, but the guy's no Sasha on Make it or Break It. :lol: I do feel for Brian because he does seem to be geniunely hurt. But I do call bss a bit on the out of the blue given the Cricket Club Reports. Something went down.

feraina

Record Breaker
And I really don't see Yu-na falling for Brian. I mean I could be wrong, but I mean dont' get me wrong Orser is attractive, but the guy's no Sasha on Make it or Break It. :lol: I do feel for Brian because he does seem to be geniunely hurt. But I do call bss a bit on the out of the blue given the Cricket Club Reports. Something went down.

Falling for your coach though, someone who's an authority figure that you respect and admire, whose approval and respect you crave in return... I can totally see that. How many girls have fallen for their coaches or teachers or professors when there's no hope, be they gay, married, or otherwise disinterested?

parma

On the Ice
I do feel for Brian because he does seem to be geniunely hurt. But I do call bss a bit on the out of the blue given the Cricket Club Reports. Something went down.

If the twitter message was truly hers, she sounds beyond hurt.

kyla2

Final Flight
Cold

Feraina, I did not say all Koreans were cold. They aren't. But the Yu Na group has behaved in a very cold manner in their dealings with Brian. I have never thought Yu Na was a warm skater who related to the audiences on that level.

As for Brian being straight or gay, speculating that Yu Na had romantic designs is utterly laughable. It also does a disservice to Brian to discuss him in this manner. Gee, I wonder where the moderators are? They are quite selective in what they allow IMO.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
As long as we are throwing out theories, maybe Yu-Na and Brian were interested in the same man. :laugh:

Gee, I wonder where the moderators are? They are quite selective in what they allow IMO.

The moderators are posting theories that Yu-Na straightened Brian out. :biggrin:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
If the twitter message was truly hers, she sounds beyond hurt.

It is not surprising if Yuna is hurt, confused, and more than a little sad. Change even under the most ideal circumstances is not always easy.
Another poster made a reference to Michelle and Frank. I do remember reading how when Michelle went to tell Frank there was alot of tears. I also remember that Michelle first told Frank that she wanted to train by herself for a week or so before she told him.

Despite some of what we read today I think Brian and Yuna had a tight bond. It can't be easy on either one of them.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
It is not surprising if Yuna is hurt, confused, and more than a little sad. Change even under the most ideal circumstances is not always easy.
Another poster made a reference to Michelle and Frank. I do remember reading how when Michelle went to tell Frank there was alot of tears. I also remember that Michelle first told Frank that she wanted to train by herself for a week or so before she told him.

Despite some of what we read today I think Brian and Yuna had a tight bond. It can't be easy on either one of them.

Yeah I have to agree with you. I honestly don't think that either of them are out to hurt each other

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Regarding her twitter, I'm surprised no one has brought up the possibility of her account being hacked.

And no more romance rumors, please. You're almost starting to make me believe them (which is NOT a good thing!) DD:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't think Feraina was posting a romance rumor, she was openly speculating which is different. Just as I wonder if maybe Orser realized the relationship with Yu-na is done, so Mao may be showing up at the Cricket Club. Who the heck knows.

But as for people getting crushes on authority figures sure, but I just don't see that with Yu-na and Orser. I got more of a fatherly bond there than a he's so hot bond. I never got in any of her interactions with him that Yu-na saw him in a romantic way, ever.

Cerulean

Rinkside
Regarding her twitter, I'm surprised no one has brought up the possibility of her account being hacked.

And no more romance rumors, please. You're almost starting to make me believe them (which is NOT a good thing!) DD:

I dunno because while Koreans are computer savvy, it would have to have been a hacker who spoke some English and I don't know how easy it is to find a Korean computer nerd who can also tweet in English.

Having said that, if it was Yuna, she made a grammatical mistake which sort of jumped out at me and I thot her English was better than that.