Korean language question | Golden Skate

Korean language question

I have noticed that when Yu-na Kim is interviewed in English, she often answers questions by saying something like, "Yes, I hope to win tomorrow -- or maybe not." Or, "I feel confident about my triple flip/triple toe combination -- or not."

Is there some sort of idiom in Korean that comes out like that when translated into English?

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
I have noticed that when Yu-na Kim is interviewed in English, she often answers questions by saying something like, "Yes, I hope to win tomorrow -- or maybe not." Or, "I feel confident about my triple flip/triple toe combination -- or not."

Is there some sort of idiom in Korean that comes out like that when translated into English?

hmm I never noticed it.. Did she say something like that yesterday? Let me look at youtube... hold on.. IOC deleted all olympic clips.

gourry

Final Flight
LOL Does she do that often? I didn't notice it until yesterday she said something like "Mao was perfect ---or not." At that time I thought it was kind of funny, then understood it could mean either 1) it seemed perfect to her but she wasn't sure about the protocol and possible downgrade so wanted to avoid any possible trouble or 2) it seemed perfect to her but then she wasn't sure it was perfect by Mao's standard and try not to be offensive in any way. Anyway it seems Yuna tries to be extra careful when she does interview. :)

Last edited:

babyalligator

On the Ice
i've noticed that too, but i think that's more a hold over from her shy period. as in, she thinks something, but doesn't see her response as the end all because so much is up to interpretation. i think her saying "mao was perfect--or not" is a perfect example. she thought mao skated a perfect program, but she doesn't know what anyone else (including mao herself) is thinking. i do it too on occasion.