Kostner: It’s not about life or death | Golden Skate

Kostner: It’s not about life or death

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating to a program both contemporary and edgy, 2014 Olympic bronze medalist Carolina Kostner made a jittery return to the world championships. The statuesque Italian began calm and precise in her performance to Led Zeppelin and Kitaro, reeling off a measured triple toe loop-triple toe loop combination with gazelle-like grace but followed with tight landings on the triple flip and double Axel. Her main mistake however was a botched flying spin that travelled and took her off balance. The 2012 World champion received a score of 66.33. Highlights of the program included the 30-year-old’s unique arm positions on the layback spin and the positions she attained in the footwork sequence and transitions.
“Sometimes its just easier to do something and sometimes its harder and sometimes you need to fight more,” she said after her skate. “You try to do your best every time and obviously it’s not easy to be out there and doing a mistake. You would want to just get angry, but you stay there and you keep on fighting and you bring your exercise to the end and then after, there is a new day that will start.”

“It’s not about life or death,” Kostner said about the mistakes. “It’s about how lucky I feel and grateful to be here, to be able to continue my journey and to share my big love and the joy that figure skating gives me and teaches me and comforts me. And so, it’s not so much about the medal you chase, it’s about the journey you do.”

More from the top ladies after the 2017 Worlds SP.

What's your take on Kostner's outlook for 2018?

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Personally I thought this showed how improved she really is (seriously).
If you look at the start of the program you could see she was petrified, previously she would fall/pop - now she did land all of her jumps.
It wasn't pretty but she got it done.
So kudos to her for improving at 30.

It's a satisfactory start. We'll see how the long program goes. She should definitely be in the mix next year.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
“It’s not about life or death,” Kostner said about the mistakes. “It’s about how lucky I feel and grateful to be here, to be able to continue my journey and to share my big love and the joy that figure skating gives me and teaches me and comforts me. And so, it’s not so much about the medal you chase, it’s about the journey you do.”

This is a wonderful mindset. She is beautiful, mature and wise.

bobbob

Medalist
You can tell she is in it for her love of the sport, not for the points or awards. 30 years old and going strong!

mrrice

Record Breaker
You can tell she is in it for her love of the sport, not for the points or awards. 30 years old and going strong!

I hope she goes into coaching. There are a lot of young skaters who could learn from her longevity and how she dealt with her mistakes. No whining, she kept her chin up and forged ahead. Brava..:cheer2:

Last edited:

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Are there any older skaters than her that's still competing at senior level or is she pretty much the matriarch of figure skating atm?

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Are there any older skaters than her that's still competing at senior level or is she pretty much the matriarch of figure skating atm?
There are some seasoned pair skaters. But I don't think that f.e. Savchenko would want to be viewed as a matriarch. Maybe Duhamel? :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
There are some seasoned pair skaters. But I don't think that f.e. Savchenko would want to be viewed as a matriarch. Maybe Duhamel? :biggrin:

Hah, they are strong, mature women! #Butyrskaya ;)

Kostner's doing very admirably... to do a 3-3 and 3F at her age and after coming back, at that. All the props to her. A real shame about the spin though - it'd have her in 5th, and give her a better shot at a medal. But even being there and competing at the level she's competing is awesome. She's like Mishin's female Plushenko in that, she keeps on going even when many would have hung up their skates years earlier.

Also, holy heck... I just realised Meagan is 31 years old. And yet she's capable of doing a 3Z and landing a 4S?! :eek: And crazier, Aliona is 33 and they just attempted a throw 3A?!?! :eek:

These women are crazy inspirational.