Krasnozhon avoids major injury | Golden Skate

Krasnozhon avoids major injury

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Dunno if someone else has already posted this news, anyway:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/03/30/270124096

Leading by four points after the short program, the 17-year-old opened his free skate with a quad salchow and fell hard, twisting his ankle. He picked himself up and attempted to continue the program, but he knew right away that the injury was serious.

"When I fell, I thought it wasn't that bad," he said. "But then I pushed off and I thought, 'Uh-oh, I don't think I can walk it off.' I wanted to continue, but my ankle was swelling and I could feel the tightness in my boot. I couldn't step on it."

For almost a minute, Krasnozhon tried to tough it out and keep on skating, but he couldn't put any weight on his right foot at all. He finally went over to the referee, and, after conferring with officials and his coaches, withdrew.

"He said his first thought was that he broke it," his coach, Darlene Cain, said. "He thought he heard something snap."

Krasnozhon made his way off the ice and into the medical room. There, he removed his boot, revealing a severely swollen ankle. Krasnozhon was worried he had broken it, but X-rays showed that, despite the pain and swelling, the injury was not as bad as he believed.

"It was the biggest relief that they didn't see any fractures," Krasnozhon said. "I knew I was disappointed, but I was thinking about next season. My biggest concern was, 'What can I do to make my ankle better?' I was a little bit scared because I didn't know exactly what was wrong with it."

Getting home was a challenge: While on crutches, Krasnozhon had to change planes and terminals in Paris.

"I was getting pretty cranky," the skater admitted. "I'm an athlete; I'm strong. What about other people on crutches? Disabilities are treated much better in the U.S. I just wanted to get home. But it made me feel for people with disabilities like never before."

Once back in Texas, Krasnozhon learned he had suffered a Grade 2 sprain of all three major ligaments. He wore a boot for a week or so, then switched to a brace.

The good news is that both Krasnozhon and his coaches don't expect next season to be impacted by the injury.

"It was a long season for him; his body was tired," Cain said. "After this event, we were going to give him some time off to relax. He had wanted to go to the beach and have fun. He's shut down for the same amount of time -- he just won't be able to go to the beach. We were going to start his season later this year, start programs later, so we're still on that same time frame."

If all goes well, Krasnozhon will be working on three quads (salchow, loop, toe) for next season, when he hopes to get some senior international assignments. In addition, after he turns 18 next month, he'll apply for U.S. citizenship. (Krasnozhon grew up in Russia and moved to the U.S. in 2014 to train with the Cains and compete for the U.S.)

Cain said they expect him to be a U.S. citizen in time for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.

"I always say, you have to be happy with what you get," Krasnozhon said thoughtfully. "I was lucky to just have a sprained ankle, not a broken ankle. It could have happened sooner. I've been undefeated in junior all season. Sometimes, you can't have it all. I hadn't had an injury in four years. It makes me more hungry for next year. Maybe it's the turning point."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not only does the article say that Alex will recover faster than if his leg were broken, but

1. He hopes to compete senior internationally next year and,
2. He will apply for citizenship after turning 18.

Woot, Alex:yahoo:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
That is good news and we will see him next year as a senior (I think) - that fall looked scary !

Kara

Final Flight
What a relief!! I was so worried, but it looks better than expected. Come back strong next season! He has really grown on me, he seems like a great guy.đź‘Ť

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Not only does the article say that Alex will recover faster than if his leg were broken, but

1. He hopes to compete senior internationally next year and,
2. He will apply for citizenship after turning 18.

Woot, Alex:yahoo:

Yes. Better add that part. I was just more concerned about the injury.

Good luck to Alexiei :clap:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks for the link to the article, sweetice!

I'm very happy to see that Alexei's injury was nowhere near as bad as feared. I was watching the stream live when he fell and it was super scary! I thought for sure someone was going to have to come over and carry him off (sportspeople are braver than me, I'd have stayed there sobbing and waiting for a stretcher :p)

Good luck to him for next season!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Pleased to hear that Alexei's injury wasn't as bad as we feared. I'm looking forward to his Sr. career.