Kurt Browning has no equal to date | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kurt Browning has no equal to date

callalily

On the Ice
I love his Triple Axel... oh. my. word.

Me too. It wasn't the most perfect technically, but I loved the way he attacked the 3axel with confidence - much like Midori Ito. :) Never any stalking or hesitation - just "let's go for it, I LOVE doing this jump!". His best 3axels were exhilarating to watch, as were Midori's.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I always liked the air he got, he could jump up and rotate whenever he felt like it and then he'd come back down with time to spare...

gracie

Rinkside
I totally agree. Kurt has kinesthetic intelligence, musicality, athleticism--an unbeatable combination. There is no one who in my heart has ever come close.
He is a genius on ice--at times a little case of nerves may have put a crink in his medal collection. I will always hold him up as the gold standard.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Nerves? In 92 he shouldn't have skated period due to injury, IMO, and in 94 I think it was more lack of concentration (popped 2axel in the SP and botched triple ?? in the LP) maybe I just don't want to think of him as someone who had nerves lol

Whatever caused his problems in the Olympics, he became the exception to all the known rules about how we measure skaters' achievements. No gold? He didn't even squeeze out a bronze. And yet it totally doesn't matter. It's hard to imagine another skater who could be so universally admired without a single Olympic medal to his name. He tops so many people's lists, and with good reason.

Last edited:

callalily

On the Ice
No one can win every time out. The more success and titles you have, the more is expected. Four world titles is an amazing accomplishment. Olys timing didn't work for him, unfortunately - partly injury ('92), partly bad luck, partly (maybe) wanting it too much ('94).

Does anyone remember Kurt being interviewed immediately after his first Worlds win back in '89? He was asked if he "had won Worlds too soon" (i.e. the interviewer was suggesting that it would be better to build up to a Worlds' win a year or so before the Olys, since it would be hard to defend the title for four years). Kurt said no, because he very badly wanted the World title, and he said you never know what might happen in the future (severe injury, for instance), so you have to be thankful for your success whenever it comes. That's a good perspective, but of course in a way the interviewer was right; it is very hard to defend a title for four or more years - physically, psychologically, in terms of momentum, motivation, expectations, etc. (especially after the elimination of figures).

But actually, I find Kurt more interesting and inspiring because he didn't win the Olympic "grail". Though he had great success as a competitor, he also had to be resilient in the face of a major disappointment - pretty much what we all face in life, on a smaller scale. Yet he kept moving forward, growing and innovating, and leaves an amazing legacy after 20+ years on the ice. That inspires me. :)

But actually, I find Kurt more interesting and inspiring because he didn't win the Olympic "grail". Though he had great success as a competitor, he also had to be resilient in the face of a major disappointment - pretty much what we all face in life, on a smaller scale. Yet he kept moving forward, growing and innovating, and leaves an amazing legacy after 20+ years on the ice. That inspires me. :)

It couldn't be said better. Thanks!

elinmand

Rinkside
Although it wasn't my favorite the first few times I saw it, I've come to feel that Kurt's clown program is remarkable because his movements actually seem to be making the music. His remarkable musicality and acting ability bring this program to life.

My other favorite of his is "Summertime". Other skaters have used this song, but the innovation of this program really grabbed me the first time I saw it. Nobody else could have pulled that off.

Although it wasn't my favorite the first few times I saw it, I've come to feel that Kurt's clown program is remarkable because his movements actually seem to be making the music. His remarkable musicality and acting ability bring this program to life.

My other favorite of his is "Summertime". Other skaters have used this song, but the innovation of this program really grabbed me the first time I saw it. Nobody else could have pulled that off.

I love "Summertime," too. I think it was choreographed by Alexander Zhulin. Kurt made it phenomenal, didn't he?

Volk, Yagudin is wonderful, even dazzling. (And charming as well!) But I think most of us feel that at that level of quality, which Tonichelle has aptly dubbed skate-god level, these guys are literally incomparable. Meaning that they're not just superlative, but they can't be compared on any known scale. You may prefer Yagudin to Kurt, as one prefers Beethoven to Mozart or Gene Kelly to Fred Astaire, but it's difficult if not impossible to try to measure them against each other.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love Yagudin. Unfortunately, his injuries curtailed his amateur comeback and he did not do a lot of great programs for same reason as a pro. He was not the SOI star we hoped for, but he is great and I think he is in my forever top 5. Stellar amateur career, one of the best athletes with wonderful massculine style of skating, and dedication and passion. He gave us 100%. I will forever have his SP " Winter." in 2002 as one of the great athletic and memorable skating moments i have watched. Alexei has been eclipsed by Plushenko's longevity and drive but I think many would agree Alexei was a great, great champion. I wish he were still skating in the USA at the level of say Kulik, who has had a great pro career and body of work, tho i feel Alexei was a better skater and a true competitor, his amateur career eclipses Kulik by far.

ciocio

On the Ice
Kurt was better than anyone else, Alexei, Plush, Kulik, Chan, etc. :thumbsup: I admit it even if, to me, nobody will ever replace Alexei. :love:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I agree that Kurt has no equal! I remember that when Yagudin turned pro, he talked about wanting to be like Kurt and trying to imitate him.

Andy

Rinkside
I totally agree, Kurt Browning is an icon who has no equal. There are some great skaters out there, but no one to date can top his footwork, musicality, jumping ability and ingenuity on the ice.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I may be slightly biased, but yes, in my books Kurt is the best male skater on the planet. He is so versatile and musically gifted on the blade. He is a joy to watch....thanks for this.:biggrin: