Kwan Gets New Disney Deal | Golden Skate

Kwan Gets New Disney Deal

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Good for her... I'm sure that this is the first of many opportunities that Kwan will have... Of course, now this means that I will be forced to travel to Disney World ~ so not the happiest place on Earth! :)

cianni

On the Ice
Good for Her

Well so much for her markrtability going down the toilet. Its all about what kind of a person are you not how many medals. Good for her. This is the 1st. of many I would guess.

millie

Medalist
Good for Michelle in your future and good health.:chorus: :chorus: :chorus:
She has risen!!! :thumbsup:
And all her fans acted as if she was dead.:cry:

kyla2

Final Flight
Now Joe

Now Joe I hope your making a joke here. How would any of us know how much she's got in the bank???

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Good for her... I'm sure that this is the first of many opportunities that Kwan will have... Of course, now this means that I will be forced to travel to Disney World ~ so not the happiest place on Earth! :)
I diddn't read the article, is it Disney World or Disney Land?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I diddn't read the article, is it Disney World or Disney Land?

Probably the Land of bratty children vs. the World of sloshed adults... But I do like to support those who support my favorites in all sports, so off to Orlando we go... right after I sell plasma to finance my trip.:laugh:

rob43

On the Ice
Is it wrong of me to wonder what these skaters pull in endorsement wise?

I think that addage that gold is necessary has been pretty much shot since Roz (with help from Scott's creating COI) because Nancy and Michelle both seemed to have banked more deals than the winner's of their various games.

I think it's now more like the NBA or NFL- you need some level of skill or hardware then an audience.

rob43 said:
Is it wrong of me to wonder what these skaters pull in endorsement wise?
I have read (I don't know how authoritative this is) that Michelle makes between 3 and 5 million per year. (Yes, Joe is joking above when he says that the cupboard is bare, LOL.) Plushenko makes less than a million, but still is doing OK. Tiger Woods makes 10 million as a golfer and 80 million as a shoe salesman. Skateboarder Tony Hawk makes in the millions and snowboarder Shawn White makes a million or so, mostly in prize money and by endorsing products related to their sport.

Michelle's last Disney contract (which expired last year) reportedly was for about $1,000,000 per year (including promoting the Hong Kong Disney theme park). Her Chevrolet contract was supposedly worth about a million for three years. I don't know how much she gets from East-West Bank. I believe that deal is tied up in the bank's sponsorship of Michelle's rink.

I would be curious to know how much Sasha gets from Citizen's watches. That is a pretty extensive ad campaign; she must make a bundle off it. If she wins the gold medal, with her movie star looks, the sky's the limit for her.

The rule of thumb used to be (back in Kristi Yamaguchi's day, for instance) that an Olympic gold medal was worth about 10 to 15 million dollars in endorsement and public appearance opportunities over several years of celebrity. I don't know how close Tara came to that in career earnings based on her gold medal. Sarah Hughes did not pursue that kind of life.

You know whose agent I would like to be right now? Johnny Weir! If he holds up for the silver or bronze, with his cachet, someone ought to be able to turn him into a hot commodity.

MM :)

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
... You know whose agent I would like to be right now? Johnny Weir! If he holds up for the silver or bronze, with his cachet, someone ought to be able to turn him into a hot commodity.

MM :)

I wouldn't count on it. It has always struck me that, while male skaters can say and do things that the ladies can't (because the ladies have to be the ice princess types), the payoff comes in the endorsement deals -- the women make more than the men.

rob43

On the Ice
I always assumed the 3 to 5mil number was total- including appearance fees, her USFSA contract, prize money and endorsements from her peak years. Didn't realize the Chevy contract was that big.

I think Sasha would either do well or lukewarm (remember how Kerrigan supposedly out earned Yamaguchi in 92) because she's beautiful to watch but a little forward. i also think she lends herself to more fashion type ads (think Nancy 94) than the others but those already have plenty of models. I think Michelle mostly covers the family/50 year old woman markets (more along Kristi's recent ads).

One thing that should help either is that their woman as opposed to 'girls' which is what supposedly hampered Lipinski to a large degree. I'm not sure if Hughes reallly was that endorsement friendly because you have to play their game & do the whole ad/spokesperson thing and she was both young and seemingly pretty independent. Like Nancy if asked to do something cheesy, I have no doubt she'd call a spade a spade.

I doubt anyone becomes another Kat Witt who could Coke and the like on prime time. Also I think the

I aso believe that the whole "celebrity endorsement" thing is at a low ebb these days, throughout the advertising industry. If a famous movie star says, buy Brylcreame (a little dab'll do ya), do you rush out and buy it?

A lot of people didn't, and I think that has made advertisers a little bit wary of shelling out the big bucks for a famous name, and to take up the slack by making commercials that are clever, subtle, whatever.

But I still don't understand why Smart Ones diet foods stopped showing their Kristi ad. The one with the subliminal message -- if you eat this stuff you will be as thin as Kristi, and you will be able to skate like her, too.

MM

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I read somewhere that companies do research to find out what qualities the public will associate with each celebrity, and, then hire celebrities who have the qualities that they want the public to associate with their company. So, Sasha has qualities (such as "glamour") that would make her attractive to Citizen Watches and Michelle has qualities (longevity, "family based") that make her attractive to Disney.

rob43

On the Ice
sk8addict said:
We heard about this deal at US Nationals last month.

So is this just re-signing the previous contract? Odd that they'dannounce it during the Oly.