Ladies LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

Wrlmy

Medalist
Carolina and Miki make GPF!!
Fumie still has chance, but only if Yukari misses the podium AND Laura doesn't place higher than 3rd @ NHK.

To be honest, I was secretly hoping Carolina would mess up so Rachael would make gpf. But for the first time since 2007 world, I get why Carolina is at the level she is. Euro is hers to lose with Laura Lepisto with any remote chance of giving competition. Rachael's pcs is sickeningly low. She really needs a better program. I'm sure she would've scored at least 3 full points higher with Rhapsody Romantique.

Alissa and Kimmie:cry:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Every since kimmie and miki won worlds they haven't done well. The first gp competition after mao won worlds she scored very low. Is a curse developing?

I don't think it's a curse. It's the pressure of all those expectations they feel are laid on them after they have won Worlds. I once saw a desk pad with a printed motto on each page that said something like: "There is no heavier burden than a great potential.". Yep. Heavy. Some people manage to carry it, but some have a problem with that.

gold12345

Medalist
Every since kimmie and miki won worlds they haven't done well. The first gp competition after mao won worlds she scored very low. Is a curse developing?

Kimmie didn't do bad the year after winning. She won Four Continents, Nationals, and medaled in both her Grand Prix events. She was 4th at Worlds, which isn't bad. After Miki won Worlds, she medaled at Four Continents, one of her Grand Prix events, and was 2nd at Nationals. She also was/got injured that season, and was forced to withdraw from Worlds.

I don't think anyone is cursed once they win Worlds. They just all have to deal with their own issues.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
To be honest, I was secretly hoping Carolina would mess up so Rachael would make gpf. But for the first time since 2007 world, I get why Carolina is at the level she is. Euro is hers to lose with Laura Lepisto with any remote chance of giving competition. Rachael's pcs is sickeningly low. She really needs a better program. I'm sure she would've scored at least 3 full points higher with Rhapsody Romantique.

Alissa and Kimmie:cry:

Thanks for these observations, it's nice to hear someone was struck (in a good way) by Carolina's program.

I am happy Rachael is doing so well -- and really, silver for her first GP season is darn good, isn't it? And she did well at SA, too, in a very, very tough field. (I still wish USFSA hadn't shot our own ladies in their respective feet by having all the tough competition at SA, guaranteeing that not all of our ladies could have done well no matter how they had skated).

Sounds like Kimmie was affected by how poorly her program was scored yesterday, if she seemed not to care, as one poster said. Sad that she really did make some positive changes in her presentation, and some improvement in her jumps, but her score was still so low. I know some think the URs and Level 1s were justified, but it also sounds like reasonable minds like various fans and sports commentators were puzzled, so there's some room for wonder.

Anyway, an eventful outing for the ladies! I hope the skating lived up to expectations.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Carolina and Miki make GPF!!
Fumie still has chance, but only if Yukari misses the podium AND Laura doesn't place higher than 3rd @ NHK.

well, I can't hope that Yukari skates so bad, poor girl. But I'm too disappointed for Fumie: a single long program decided she's out, despite all her courage and determination to stay in the field. Fatal destiny.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Following 6 skaters will go to GPF in Seoul unless Laura Lepisto gets silver or
gold at NHK.

1. Yu-Na GOLD GOLD
2. Joannie GOLD GOLD

3. Mao SILVER GOLD(prediction at NHK)
4. Yukari SILVER SILVER(prediction at NHK)

5. Carolina 4TH GOLD
6. Miki BRONZE SILVER

Unless Laura upsets Yukari at NHK ... It's more than 90% POSSIBILITY.

R.D.

Record Breaker
First off, congrats to Rachel :clap: FINALLY an American who's holding her own out there. I hope she's one of the two ladies we send to the World Finals. Alyssa held her own as well, placing a respectable 4th. Not bad. I would not be comfortable with her on the World team but she does seem to be scoring relatively high even with mistakes.

As for Meissner, back to the drawing board before what could be the fork in the road for her career...Nats 2009. If she has another poor showing here, I don't see her sticking around much longer and that's too bad. But I think US skating is finally beginning to get its head out of the sand.

An aside- congrats to Kostner for the win.

Carolina had her best skate ever, imo.
Ms Flatt redeemed herself somewhat. I think she can do better than that.
Fumie had the boo boos that Rachael had yesterday. Too bad, she was looking good for an old timer. I like that.

Alyssa Czisny is arguably the most beautiful skater nowadays but......

Following 6 skaters will go to GPF in Seoul unless Laura Lepisto gets silver or
gold at NHK.

1. Yu-Na GOLD GOLD
2. Joannie GOLD GOLD

3. Mao SILVER GOLD(prediction at NHK)
4. Yukari SILVER SILVER(prediction at NHK)

5. Carolina 4TH GOLD
6. Miki BRONZE SILVER

Unless Laura upsets Yukari at NHK ... It's more than 90% POSSIBILITY.
Would not Yukari's silver/silver beat out Miki's bronze silver? If Lepisto qualifys, it will be Miki to lose out, unless I need another lesson in how to break the tie.

Kinga

Medalist
Carolina had her best skate ever, imo.

I would not say that. I guess it is even not very flattering to say that a skater had best skate ever with so many mistakes :).
I think that her LP music is extremely nice, but she does not use it to its full potential. Her franctic arms movements in the step sequence did not work quite for me. But it is ok LP.

R.D.

Record Breaker
As an aside...when was the last time there was no American lady in the final?? Looks like I can sit that one out. That's also to get out of the way of the mudslinging that will likely be going on at that point.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
As an aside...when was the last time there was no American lady in the final?? Looks like I can sit that one out. That's also to get out of the way of the mudslinging that will likely be going on at that point.

There were no American ladies in the final for the 2006/2007 season.

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
Its not the most important thing to have someone in the finals. Our girls need to spend that time training and working on all the kinks. I have to agree with another poster things are looking better. We have had 3 medals so far in the GP's for the ladies. Didn't we get 1 last year? The future looks promising. I think nationals is going to be terrific!

Last edited:

ANW

On the Ice
Actually last year, Caroline Zhang won Bronze in SA and Silver in COC and 4th in GPF, Kimmie won Gold in SA and Silver in TEB and Ashley won Bronze in TEB.
Its not the most important thing to have someone in the finals. Our girls need to spend that time training and working on all the kinks. I have to agree with another poster things are looking better. We have had 3 medals so far in the GP's for the ladies. Didn't we get 1 last year? The future looks promising. I think nationals is going to be terrific!

Last edited: