10 Liliya BIKTAGIROVA Moscow 13 6,5 10 10,0 16,5
11 Valeriya VOROBEVA Saint Petersburg 7 3,5 13 13,0 16,5
12 Yekaterina VASILYEVA Saint Petersburg 12 6,0 11 11,0 17,0
13 Yelena NAUMOVA Moscow 10 5,0 14 14,0 19,0
14 Irina BULUSHEVA Moscow 15 7,5 12 12,0 19,5
15 Yelena ZHIDKOVA Moscow 16 8,0 15 15,0 23,0
16 Vera STOLETOVA Moscow 14 7,0 17 17,0 24,0
17 Anna LOPATOCHKINA Nizhnii Novgorod 17 8,5 16 16,0 24,5

Soldatova came from 6th in the short to win the long program and the silver medal overall. Volchkova must have had a disaster, finishing 6th. Very interesting. Looks like Sokolova must be back in a lot better form than we saw her in during the GP. I hope she's 100 per cent by worlds, I enjoyed her a lot last year.

windspirit

On the Ice
Great comeback for Soldatova. Too bad she won't be able to go to Worlds and Euros (if I understand it right?).

brenlynn

On the Ice
wow! way to go elena!!! :love: :love:

i feel horrible for vika though :eek: i think she has such a natural presence on the ice and i really enjoy her skating. she must have let her nerves get the best of her.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Too bad for Vika :( Switching 3 coaches in 3 seasons: Kudryavtsev - Vasiliev -- Chajkovskaya must have really taken toll.

As for Soldatova -- yes, she won't be able to compete for Russia. However, the speculation was that if she would finish high (which she did), the Russian Federation may try to fight ISU to get her in.

Very glad for Elena :)

dewet

Final Flight
RGal, Nelidina didn't compete because she left her coach during the Nats.

dewet

Final Flight
Translated by Trinity at FSU:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10373

In addition to ‘02 World Champion Irina Slutskaya, who had to miss the season because of her health condition, the Nationals had one more loss: Ludmila Nelidina stopped training. When she only started to skate at the serious level, many experts noticed her unbelievable jumping ability. Her technical base looked solid as it was built by one of our best “technicians” Victor Kudriavtsev, and later by Zhanna Gromova.
A year ago, 17-year-old Ludmila went to Elena Chaikovskaya, who had a great faith that under her management, Nelidina will become the biggest discovery of the season. It was the other way around. Not only the skater failed all the performances, she drove herself to nervous breakdown – that’s how big was the difference between her coach pre-season beliefs and the real results. At the end, Nelidina not only broke up with the coach, she broke up with the big sport.

Looks like she broke up with more than her coach.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Honestly, I will never understand why all Russian ladies rush to train with Chaikovskaya. The only lady she groomed to the gold medal was Butyrsakaya. Though I understand Neilidina felt she wasn't the "start" with either Kudryavtsev (whose star was first Vika, and then Elena), nor with Gromova, who still works with Irina.

euterpe

Medalist
Soldatova last competed for Belarus at Worlds 2002, so she has been absent from competition for a full year. Doesn't that mean she is now free to skate for Russia?

I won't pretend I was a fan of Nelidina, but wow! What a difference a few months and a new coach make! Poor thing. To be so upset as to be described as having a "nervous breakdown" and quitting the sport entirely, that's tough.

But if Chaikovskaya expected Nelidina would "ease in" to having some kind of style and grace, then I can see how they would both be very disappointed. Also, Nelidina could have had a growth spurt and if she grow, say, 4-6 inches over the last year, which is not uncommon, no more 3Axel. Of course I'm just speculating; I have no idea what happened other than what was in that translation. But honestly she never looked comfortable on the ice to me until right after she landed her 3Axel. But she's still young. I hope she finds happiness. Can't help but feel bad for any 17-year-old who had a "nervous breakdown" over skating.
Rgirl