Ladies Short - Notes & Results | Golden Skate

Ladies Short - Notes & Results

Rosaleen

Medalist
Disclaimer: Info below is copyrighted to Golden Skate so please don't copy & paste into other forums, newsgroups, mailing lists, and/or articles.

Thanks so much!

As usual, the skaters are shown in the order they skated and the placements are the placements at the time they skated. Marks are shown as Tech, Components and total

FIN Susanna Poykio Start 1 Place 1
Notes purple bathing suit style lacey effect on top / Henry VIII by SaintSaens / ftwrk 3f / 3z1t nice z / inside out spiral to back out / flycam with layover rot a tiny bit slow / 2a / now she's playing to music / layback with foot to head good speed / strt ftwrk nice with music got a bit slow / comb cam sit layback back cam sit upright / good clean program, almost clean just the single toe on the combo / it seemed a bit 'cold' to me - she didn't seem to really connect with the music - there wasn't any IT factor /
t 25.50 c 24.48 tot 49.98

ITA Carolina Kostner Start 2 Place 1
Notes shades of light blue horizontal bands / Michael Hoppe medley / 3t3t very nice / travel 3s into 2l / spirals inside out in catch foot for change pause & some chor & bo spiral / 2a / diag ftwrk is very complex & multiple levels but stops & starts too much for me / flycam is nice / combo cam sit ch of os back camsit / strt leg layback / nice program & fast but again it didn't have any life /
t 25.34 c 25.52 tot 50.86

SVK Zuzana Babiakova Start 3 Place 3
Notes royal blue / evita / 2a could see it wasn't going to happen in the air - fell / 3z fell / layback is fast - pos could b better / 3f 2ft heavily / strt ftwrk to lively part of music is quite good into a very niceflying cam / and into familair melody for the spirals which flow very well with quite good post & extension / combo cam sit tuck back cam sit leg in front - fast & centered /
t 17.82 c 18.12 tot 33.94 ded 2.00

JPN Yoshie Onda Start 4 Place 1
Notes mauve with silver sequin design / freedom / some chor to set mood then music really picks up / 3z2t very nice / ftwrk 3f landed with hands on hips / some ftwrk & playing to the judges into very nice layback - she's smiling & really playing to the crowd /spirals move well but don't like the pos / 2a / deathdrop to sit spin is good / nice fast O ftwrk / little bobble at start of combo spin but recovered very quickly and finished it off with very good speed & pos / that woke the crowd (& me) up and boy is she happy and Audrey is as well /
t 28.48 c 23.68 tot 52.16

GBR Jenna McCorkell Start 5 Place 4
Notes seafoam green with purple bands / Meditation from Thais / 3z2t bit slow on landings but clean / 3l fell on stomach / flycam has very nice fly & pos gets a little slow / inside out spiral to back catch foot to forward timed nicely wwith music / 2a leaning in air - no way landed on 2 feet / layback - didn't really see it / strt step are ok / combo spin is fast & centered on front slower on back butstill good /
t 20.04 c 20.56 tot 39.60 ded 1.00

CAN Mira Leung Start 6 Place 4
Notes dark pink shading to white at hem - same as last year / viva / ftwrk pause 3f clean 0 near me / 3z2l far end of ice but looked good to me / 2a slow on landing but clean / layback from traditional to strt leg very nie / inside out spiral very good / sideways spiral to charlotte / music changes crowd clapping to flying cm very nice / O ftwrk is fast & with music / cam sit layback beillman back cam catchfoot to beillman / crowd loved it partial standing O & she is beaming /
t 24.78 c 17.96 tot 45.84

JPN Fumie Suguri Start 7 Place 1
Notes purple strapless / pink panther / some chor to start / 3z2t / gloves help accent hand movement / 3f fell into boards / great strt leg layback with change of pos / inside out spiral bent leg to catch foot to sideways / spiral into 2a / flycam is fast to inside edge to layover / diag ftwrk is fast lots of steps & pause with chor to music / spread eagles to music into combo spin fast good pos / there was some really good chor in this and she played well with the music - fun program /
t 27.40 c 27.32 tot 53.72

SWE Lina Johansson Start 8 Place 6
Notes shades of dark & light pink & fushia / 3f2t / 3l leaning on takeoff fell / flycam to catch foot is nice / 2a / O ftwrk is fast & flows well bit simple / layback is very fast with foot to head / inside out spiral is very nice then fell going backward in between spirals / combo spin is quite good / I don't feel she really skated to her music /
t 23.86 c 20.52 tot 42.38 ded 2.00

CAN Cynthia Phaneuf Start 9 Place 1
Notes light pink spaghetti straps with scattered silver sequins / songs my mother taught me / 3z2t far end of ice but very nice from my sight line / ftwrk 3f is very good / layback to foot to head is fast & centered / spirals are nice with good arm variations/ strt ftwrk is complex gets a little slow towards end / 2a / flycam could use more fly but spin is very good with nice variations / combo cam sit layback back cam xleg behind / Annie is just estatic and cynthia is beaming almost full standing O /
t 30.40 c 27.36 tot 57.76

JPN Yukari Nakano Start 10 Place 9
Notes red with gold sequins one shoulder / bacchanalia / 3a 2ft fell out tiny bit under rot but might be enough for credit as triple / 3f bad wrap fell / misssed the fly cam and spirals / spread eagle into 2a / layback spin haas good variations & low back / O ftwrk is fast but almost too many barrel rolls / combo spin is ok / she's not very happy / she sakted with the music & used it well /
t 16.98 c 20.60 tot 37.58

CAN Lesley Hawker Start 11 Place 6
Notes black with sheer across shoulders / smile / 3z2t not much speed but clean / 3f 3turn out but stayed on 1 foot / strt ftwrk flows well with music / combo spin is good - ordinary pos except leg in front at eend / spirals are ok extension is good leg could be higher / 2a with a big smile on the clean landing / flycam with layover / layback with nice changes of pos /
t 25.20 c 20.64 tot 45.84

HUN Julia Sebestyen Start 12 Place 5
Notes fire on ice / black with fluorescent bows & such / 3f / 3z right in front of me 2ft and pos under rot 2t / flycam is good with catch foot / spirals are ok / music has slowed to almost a reflective fell / 2a / layback with variations & arms both one direction hard to describe but nice / O ftwrk & music speeds up and crowd is clapping / combo spin ending in beillman /
t 25.14 c 25.52 tot 50.66

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Thanks, Rosaleen, for the great reports. Interesting that even with a fall on the 3f, Fumie is only a couple of points behind Cynthia. Is there an explanation for that?

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I think we just found out who the next great Canadian Ladies Skater is. Way to go Cynthia!!!!!! Has any Canadian Ladies Skater ever make it to the Grand Prix Final? Cynthia has a done very good job so far this season. Being 2nd at Skate America. I see a great future for her :)

Antilles

Medalist
I think Fumie was close because everything else in the program was solid. It was a lovely performance. Cynthia did a great job! It's so exciting to have female Cdn skaters in the running.

PAskate

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
Thanks, Rosaleen, for the great reports. Interesting that even with a fall on the 3f, Fumie is only a couple of points behind Cynthia. Is there an explanation for that?

While Cynthia had the jumps, Fumie's footwork, speed, and "in-betweens" were amazing. I actually could have seen where someone could have actually placed Fumie ahead of Cynthia. Fumie just glides across the ice. It will be great to see her program without any errors.

lise

On the Ice
SailorGalaxia518 said:
I think we just found out who the next great Canadian Ladies Skater is. Way to go Cynthia!!!!!! Has any Canadian Ladies Skater ever make it to the Grand Prix Final? Cynthia has a done very good job so far this season. Being 2nd at Skate America. I see a great future for her :)

Wait until you see Joannie Rochette!! Our ladies are finally putting it together in competition! It's great! I would love to see both ladies make the GPF.

Great reports, Rosaleen. I especially like your comments about who was happy at the end of the program, who had the IT factor, who played to the crowd, etc.

It's hard for me to have an opinion without seeing the performances, but I am surprised that Cynthia Phaneuf has higher component scores than Fumie Suguri.

Mathman

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:

One could argue that Fumie is, by a distance, the strongest artistic skater in this field, so if the CoP is working the way it's supposed to [however that may be], this isn't too surprising.