LADIES SP - Stepping up to the Plate | Golden Skate

LADIES SP - Stepping up to the Plate

Mafke

Medalist
At last, an interesting competition. After the race for silver in bronze in pairs and mens and arcane contradictory incantations of the dance cognoscenti, things have finally heated up and there’s every reason to suspect that the entire podium in the ladies event is up for grabs.
I think the judges have it pretty right around the top since absolute placement here isn’t so crucial (it’ll be easy to move up or down some spaces). The top three skaters in pretty much any order will make me happy (as long as it reflects their LP perfromance).

GREAT JOB LADIES!!!! You’re finally making this competition come alive! Keep up the good work!

Various comments in various skaters. My not mentioning a skater means I didn’t see them yet or they didn’t make enough of an impression or I thought that not writing anything would be a kindness (I do too have heart)

Meissner – First time I’ve seen her and the first word that comes to mind is ‘juniorish’, still not a mature skater, lots of basic quality in jumps and stroking but doesn’t (yet) make choreography seem natural. Spin positions tend toward the uninspired and/or not so good. Still, in a year or two could be really excellent. Does she still have the 3ax or was that a one time thing? Guess we’ll know soon enough.

Maxwell – Get this girl to some world class coaching talent, now! A huge amount of natural musicality and (natural) ability to make choreography come alive. The jumps need ramping up in terms of difficulty and execution though. If she can do that then watch out, she’s a natural star waiting to be discovered.

Liu – I enjoyed this skater tremendously and don’t understand why she’s so low, no rep yet?

Gedevanishvili – I would have put her above Meissner but again, the basic quality is juniorish. I do think she’s a little closer to being soup than Meissner or Hughes but for the time being she’s an engaging junior and not a serious senior threat.

Hughes – Another juniorish skater. Enthusiastic and fights for it, but not so polished and the music/choreography weren’t in sync (that is I think the choreography wasn’t very good). Seemed to get lost in the middle of a footwork sequence but recovered okay.

Slutskaya – I like this a lot more than I was expecting to, Slute looks great in pants and delivered this with a lot of conviction and speed, the spin before the first biellman was as fast as the dickens and a lot better centered than I expect from her. That sort of made up for awkwardness and running out of rotations at the end (she seemed to get the final rotations on sheer willpower alone) If anything I thought she was undermarked a little (just a little).

Arakawa – The diva decided to show up. Not absolutely top flight Arakawa but very, very close. Still does a lip, but judges aren’t dinging for flutz/lip problems, just underrotation to the exclusion of all else and she barely, but I think clearly, makes rotation. IIRC, a solid SP tends to bode well for a good LP from her. I’m so psyched. Like Slute absolutely right to go for the 3/2 rather than 3/3. There’s no reason for a 3/3 in an SP unless you have nothing to lose and the rest of your elements aren’t up to senior world standards.

Suguri – More quality. I haven’t paid much attention to Suguri lately but she delivers the goods here with more attack than I’ve come to expect. Footwork looked sort of slow on tv though.

Cohen – I hate the music, hate it, I even like oche chorniye okay but this version is awful. But delivered with fighting spirit and I think I enjoyed her personality (as opposed to skating) more than ever before. She’s a little lucky to hold onto the axel, it looked like she came within about a millimeter of losing that edge and going splat. Flutzes but judges don’t seem to care. I hope she keeps it up through the lp.

Final thoughts: Some people were suggesting that the SP become like the CD’s exactly the same which brings up the question How would that be different than what we have now? It’s not the skaters fault but there was a kind of sameness throughout of spins, spirals and jumps. If I never see a Biellmann again in my life I won’t mind. Same goes for the leg straight up and put you arm on one side of it and then the other. Yech. Still, I thank all the competitors for the most interesting night of this olympic figure skating competition so far.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mafke said:
Cohen – I hate the music, hate it, I even like oche chorniye okay but this version is awful.
Well, the more "original" version would be hard to skate to for a single. It is to slow, and has too much of the kind of passion a single skater just couldn't do. I am not crazy about this version, but at last it is a music Sasha seems to really relate to.

emma

Record Breaker
I actually missed a few skaters I wanted to see -- had a crazy schedule last night, BUT I have to say that what I saw was truly amazing and so exciting. I think that was the most draw you in to the performance short program I have every seen from Sasha. Excellent, I'm so happy for her. Of course her spins and spirals were also quite beautiful and she just was so cool about the whole thing, really fun to watch.

I'm also so excited about Arawkawa and Seguri, excellent, wow etc. Also, I missed the 6th placer who I want to see, but wow to Kimmie for stepping up to the plate. Good for her, what an amazing achievement to be where she is. She really is a fierce competitor...i saw her in the stands taking it all in after she skated, and I had the distinct impression she was really watching closely the other skaters...she might turn out to be a huge force in the not so distant future. I'm also happy for Emily, great job!!! I can't believe Roachette...i love her, but the hand down really pushed her back in the standings, I am hoping she recovers some distance in the long. I actually didn't mind the music last night either, and loved her dress, and really liked the split jump and what a lovely lay back!

Carolina I also missed....urgh, but saw the replay of her fall...ouch is all i can say...poor thing, I have come to appreciate her skating so much, I do hope she does better in the long.

Irina....she's a power house even when she's a little off. I can't wait for the LP's.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
my favorite programs were Sasha and Irina, I think both programs and overall choreography and the outfits suited them to a tee.

I loved Arakawa's costume but wasn't crazy about her choreography. I hadn't seen her short program before and her posture was annoying me in her spirals and spins (possibly because I was comparing her posture to Sasha's? I don't know) as Dick Button said about Sasha "You can iron a shirt on her back" :laugh:, otherwise Arakawa was great. I also really enjoyed Kimmie's youthful exhuberance. Fumie was pretty good but it seemed a bit forced, like it wasn't easy and it probably wasn't. Aside from the mistakes I was surprised to enjoy Elena Sokolova's program - wonderful music selection for her and the color of her costume complemented her complexion. I also really admired the swiss girl.

Mafke

Medalist
Ptichka said:
Well, the more "original" version would be hard to skate to for a single. It is to slow, and has too much of the kind of passion a single skater just couldn't do. I am not crazy about this version, but at last it is a music Sasha seems to really relate to.

That she does, and her costume was great for her, too, since I think she's a hard skater to really dress. A great performance from her to a great song, just the orchestration/chorus sounded kind of tinny and cheap.

rain

Record Breaker
A couple of comments:
Ando was painfully overmarked with two fairly big errors in the jump combo and the spiral sequence and should have been behind Rochette, who only had the hand down on the flip and what I think was the best lutz/toe combo in the entire competition. I'm really cheering for Rochette to move up a few places in the long, which I think she is entirely capable of looking at the numbers.
I agree that a number of the skaters still looked juniorish, but delivered the technical. Meissner was one, also Hughes and Elene G. (boy am I glad I don't have to pronounce that name out loud). Meissner in particular needs to work on her posture in her basic stroking. I noticed particularly a couple of times that she was bent almost double at the waist as she tried to gain speed. Not pretty.
I think I would have had Suguri's scores a little higher - really enjoyed her program and the technical content was right on.
Slutskaya absolutely bombed around the ice, but her relentless energy actually kind of wore on me....I'm not sure how to describe it, but I guess the problem was one of expression - there should have been some kind of highs and lows to the program...instead it was all skated on "high." And her positions in her spiral sequence aside from her Beilmann spiral were so unbelievably ugly, in spite of her usual secure edges. Sasha should be the only one allowed to do the leg lift to the front with hands out at the sides and knee bent - she's the only one that doesn't make it look horrific.
Arakawa was lovely, but I can't say I found her choreography particularly memorable and her costume was horrid. All elements completed perfectly.
Cohen was gorgeous - I thought a little slower than the other two top contenders, but very "on" in the performance. Her jumps look steadier than I've ever seen them. Am I the only one who thought it looked like she was nursing her back a little?

Last edited:

georgia

On the Ice
Sasha Flutzes but judges don’t seem to care
They do care. Three of them gave her -1for her flutz.
But they did not punish Slute for her flutz or Arakawa for her lip.

Mafke

Medalist
georgia said:
They do care. Three of them gave her -1for her flutz.
But they did not punish Slute for her flutz or Arakawa for her lip.

I miswrote, I should have written "the callers don't care". The only thing most callers care about is underrotation.
As for the judges, we can only guess why they give the GOE marks they do. They're not talking (Comrade Cinquanta wouldn't stand for it).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
A great competition! Besides I was really happy for Poykio´s faultless short programme. On the other hand I would wish that she finally would get some speed into her skating!!! She seemed to move with the speed of a snail in the footwork near the end of the programme.

WOW, Sasha and Shizuka, they both were soooo awesome!!! I have not seen such a great short programme performance from Sasha since Worlds 2004. I love her short programme music (Dark Eyes).

It sure looks like we are going to get a really exciting ladies freeskate competiton this evening.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Thoughts on SP:
Fumie should have had a higher score.

Shiz's LP music made for a much better SP than LP. I think that music is too ponderous for a full 4 minutes. Also noticed that Shiz wasn't being robbed like she normally is. The judges have her right there with Sasha and Irina, and I think Shiz should have gotten a higher score than both of these ladies as Shiz has the best skating skills and jumps.

Irina: I will be very surprised if she skates well in the LP. She looks "old" and worn out there.

Sasha: Quit hyping her to the gills. Lots of troubles on the jumps. She shouldn't be in first b/c she looked very unstable out there.

Elena G: This little firecracker stole the show. Why didn't Russia steal her for itself? She should have been higher than Kimmie. Better spins, better jumps and better style.

Kimmie: She has a good shot at sneaking in there for the Gold. I can see that she is very competitive.

Liashenko: Rant on Dick Button's insult of le Freak. Sandra compliments Freak's approach toward training and then Dick has to open his big mouth and say how her skating stays the same and why bother... then he adds I hope I'm not being overly harsh. First of all, not every skater can be a top skater. Second of all, almost every skater stays the same. What has Sasha done to make her skating different in the past 6 years? Has Irina changed that dramatically from when she was a teenager? And the skater who shall not be named hasn't done a thing different since she was 15. Liashenko isn't the best skater but she's solid and she enjoys training and it's not as if the Ukraine has a million girls competing to replace her. Let the girl compete in peace.

Baby Hughes: Looked really good out there. I hope she skates well in the LP.