Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes! | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes!

rabidline

Final Flight
I also love Mao's black Fire Dance costume, makeup and hair. That long ponytail is such a great styling move.

37048666.jpg

37048676.jpg

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
A slightly different angle would be... which costumes do people think are or will be seen as those very few iconic (not necessarily best but totally most likely to be remembered forever) ones? Definitely Seimei, or Yulia's Schindler's List, Nancy Kerrigan in that Vera Wang and Tonya Harding in the Very Not Wang, Torvill and Dean's Bolero, Katerina Witt's skirtless one, and (for all the wrong reasons) the Domnina and Shabalin horror mentioned before. Obviously it would be a very very short list. Of course it's hard to predict (I would have though Rippon's 2018 would be, but now I think not so much) but a couple of those I think will be

Yuna Kim - the yellow 'Send in the Clowns' or her James Bond one are what i always think of when I think of her
Yuzuru - Notte Stellata
Debi Thomas's 1988 jumpsuit
Mao's Madam Butterfly
Maybe Evgenia's Karenina

IMO:
Yuna Kim: Gershwin. That dress has been copied ad nauseam. Bond is close 2nd.
Mao Asada: Definitely Rach 2. There has been a competition, some years ago, the Mao Asada Trophy. It was for asian novices skaters. Some girls came with replicas of Rach 2. The 2nd is probably Swan lake. Masquerade costume could have been iconic as the program but it isn't lit.
Yuzuru Hanyu: Seimei. I've seen some juniors with costumes looking like Seimei. Didn't Malinin wear one? 2nd is POTO 2.0, also popular among juniors.
Medvedeva: Yeah probably Anna Karenina. Again, i've seen juniors in JGP wearing costumes looking like hers. W/E can also compete.
Alina Zagitova: Don Quixote without a doubt. Ayumi Shibayama clearly liked this program and costume. Carmen is 2nd.
Carolina Kostner: Bolero. This costume is made to be iconic.
Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir: Moulin Rouge. Especially Tessa's dress.

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
A slightly different angle would be... which costumes do people think are or will be seen as those very few iconic (not necessarily best but totally most likely to be remembered forever) ones?
Stephane Lambiel's Zebra 🦓 costume for sure, and if you know the backstory it's even more hilarious. It launched his entire Zebra personality 😂

In the same vein, Nathan's Olympic Gold-winning hot cheetos shirt is memorable too, I can see it being really memetic in the future in the sense of "he REALLY wore that ugly shirt and still won the Olympics? LOL" kind of costume.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Also I can't believe the same designer of both Kanadai's Red/Black and White/White Soran Bushi costume is the same designer as.... well, the ice show with the ugly group costumes. Shows how much direction can impact the designs.

The same designer Taketoshi Hara, who is also a professional guitarist, created Dai's Pale Green Ghost costume as well as KanaDai's this season's costumes.

rabidline

Final Flight
Actually, forget the fantasy for violin and ochestra costume that i chose as my fave. This one is my favourite costume from Mao.
CXONEVKJQ5CXFF2WMCYD342YIM.jpg

Xh9aRxC.jpeg

This costume is fire. And i say this as someone who usually doesn't like transparence or the illusion of transparence.

I just realized that Haein Lee's last junior FS costume looks like it was inspired by Mao's dress. Funny thing is, Mao used this dress to skate to Ritual Fire Dance (Arthur Rubinstein) while Haein used her dress to skate to Fire Dance (from Bill Whelan's River Dance).

51401889.jpg
123919087.jpg

Also Kao Miura's Poeta FS (his last junior FS) bears some resemblance to Stephane Lambiel's Poeta FS, just a lot less ornate but with similar concept and cutting:

4281183.jpg
177395777.jpg

Also I don't know what program this dress (made by The Well Dressed Skater in 2021/2022) is used for, but it's a dead ringer for Marin Honda's The Giving dress first made in 2017 by Satomi Ito, especially with the unusual color scheme:

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I just realized that Haein Lee's last junior FS costume looks like it was inspired by Mao's dress. Funny thing is, Mao used this dress to skate to Ritual Fire Dance (Arthur Rubinstein) while Haein used her dress to skate to Fire Dance (from Bill Whelan's River Dance).

51401889.jpg
123919087.jpg

Also Kao Miura's Poeta FS (his last junior FS) bears some resemblance to Stephane Lambiel's Poeta FS, just a lot less ornate but with similar concept and cutting:

4281183.jpg
177395777.jpg

Also I don't know what program this dress (made by The Well Dressed Skater in 2021/2022) is used for, but it's a dead ringer for Marin Honda's The Giving dress first made in 2017 by Satomi Ito, especially with the unusual color scheme:

My favourite game while watching programs in JGPs is guessing which skater already wore a similar costume:biggrin:

I didn't immediately see the difference between Marin's costume and the other one. The designer (or the skater) really wanted a dress as similar as possible.