Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes! | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Best and worst costumes: men edition.

Yuzuru Hanyu
Best: Seimei's deserves its own Wikipedia page. 2nd favourite is POTO 1.0.
DzDQQOOVYAEF8Xl.jpg

Worst: I would choose the Dory costume but it was from an ice show. So i will choose this. He looks like he directly comes from an anime or a video game but it's the costume whose the flamboyance makes the least sense. Even Etude is better.
52fe7649ecad04c972063b8b

Nathan Chen AKA Mr regular clothes.
Best: One of the few times a real effort was put in his costume. That was a good work
Nathan_Chen_at_2017_US_Figure_Skating_Championships.jpg

Worst: The lava shirt.
np_file_134332.jpeg

Javier Fernandez
Best: Hands down his best costume and best program.
8f0715804bb4fde21b2e51461b0b679e.jpg

Worst: this video Dude had some surprising costumes in his early years in seniors. The choice was hard:laugh:

Shoma Uno
That's an usually very well dressed skater. Even if there is some redundancy in his style. Since juniors.
Best: This but blue turandot is close 2nd. Love the structure.
Shoma-Uno--820x1024.jpg

Worst: Eggs turandot.
sp-skating-a-20180128.jpg

Boyang Jin
Also an usually well dressed skater.
Best: The ripped pants. Such a rockstar.
Boyang-Jin-SP-2018-Grand-Prix-of-Helsinki-2.jpg

Worst. The shirt with eggs and tomato on it.
jin-boyang-of-china-competes-in-the-mens-free-skating-during-the-isu-world-figure-skating.jpg

Patrick Chan.
Not a risks taker but not always boring.
Best: Aranjuez
worlds_ml.jpg

Worst: Love the bit of flamboyance but he has looked better in other costumes.
Chan_patrick.jpg

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yuzuru Hanyu
Best: Seimei's deserves its own Wikipedia page. 2nd favourite is POTO 1.0.
DzDQQOOVYAEF8Xl.jpg

Worst: I would choose the Dory costume but it was from an ice show. So i will choose this. He looks like he directly comes from an anime or a video game but it's the costume whose the flamboyance makes the least sense. Even Etude is better.
52fe7649ecad04c972063b8b

Nathan Chen AKA Mr regular clothes.
Best: One of the few times a real effort was put in his costume. That was a good work
Nathan_Chen_at_2017_US_Figure_Skating_Championships.jpg

Worst: The lava shirt.
np_file_134332.jpeg

Javier Fernandez
Best: Hands down his best costume and best program.
8f0715804bb4fde21b2e51461b0b679e.jpg

Worst: this video Dude had some surprising costumes in his early years in seniors. The choice was hard:laugh:

Shoma Uno
That's an usually very well dressed skater. Even if there is some redundancy in his style. Since juniors.
Shoma-Uno--820x1024.jpg

Boyang Jin
Also an usually well dressed skater.
Best: The ripped pants. Such a rockstar.
Boyang-Jin-SP-2018-Grand-Prix-of-Helsinki-2.jpg

Worst. The shirt with eggs and tomato on it.
jin-boyang-of-china-competes-in-the-mens-free-skating-during-the-isu-world-figure-skating.jpg

Patrick Chan.
Not a risks taker but not always boring.
Best: Aranjuez
worlds_ml.jpg

Worst: Love the bit of flamboyance but he has looked better in other costumes.
Chan_patrick.jpg

I agree about Yuzu (even if I have a soft spot for R&J2) though Shoma's worst for me is without a doubt the ghastly Great Spirit thing, not a single redeeming thing.

Takahashi's 2013(?) costumes were fabulous, the Pagliacci and the red and black rock'n'roll - see boys, this is how you dress down and up at the same time if you have the looks and the sazz - and neither has dated. I think this is the thing with the best of the Japanese men, they don't date as badly because there's a timeless quality to the fantasy. On the other hand both of his 2010 Olympics outfits were awful. Even someone as goodlooking as he is (and yes, he and Yuzu both enhance their dodgier outfits by their sheer attractiveness) couldn't get away with them.

Patrick... that red shirt is nice (for Patrick!) but the trousers are really dodgy, I like his grey and black (Elegie?) shirt even better. His worst for me is Mack the Knife. Javi's Satan Takes a Holiday is {shudder} a pain to the eyes.

Then there's Misha Ge was always outre fun and on a good day could make Yuzu and Shoma and Dai look subdued
:laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

rabidline

Final Flight

Shoma Uno
Shoma-Uno--820x1024.jpg

Eggs Turandot really is the case of the color looking awful with Shoma's skintone and under competition lights, because the intricate work that goes into it is still really good despite it looking really bad (also Shoma WHY do you even have your hair back, it's unnecessary styling for Turandot)

Shoma is fun for me because aside from his costume range, the casual clothes he let out for EX programs tends to be pretty good (the tattoo shirt is YMMV but it's different, lol). I still love the white shirt + blue distressed jeans he wore for his This Town EX in 2019 IDF and Rostelecom. Just a good example of interesting clothes bought directly from the store looking good on the ice. And... he can fill his jeans alright 🤪

isu-grand-prix-of-figure-skating-rostelecom-cup.jpg

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I agree about Yuzu (even if I have a soft spot for R&J2) though Shoma's worst for me is without a doubt the ghastly Great Spirit thing, not a single redeeming thing.
The ones from competition or the costumes he used in ice shows? Because i only talked about competition costumes. And the ones he used in competitions were actually fine.

The two he used for ice shows, especially the one with fake tatoos is at the same level than this. Especially When he fully painted his face.
image-asset.jpeg

I wonder who told him it was a good idea.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ones from competition or the costumes he used in ice shows? Because i only talked about competition costumes. And the ones he used in competitions were actually fine.

The two he used for ice shows, especially the one with fake tatoos is at the same level than this. Especially When he fully painted his face.
image-asset.jpeg

I wonder who told him it was a good idea.
Oh sorry, I am interested in all competition and gala costumes. I agree with you about that awful ice dance pair, probably the worst costumes of. all. time.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Not only were their costumes offensive, but also butt-ugly. Whoever thought this was a good idea hopefully got fired. Does anyone remember if they used these costumes the whole season or if that was an Olympics only thing?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
These costumes were plain awful... but coming to Vancouver with these, in an ongoing period of reconciliation with First Nations... wow... shows you they didn't have a clue, or someone sabotaged them !

Re Patrick and Nathan : I love most of their costumes as they are simple... I like simple. I agree though about the Mack the Knife costume for Patrick being his worse and Nathan's lava shirt... My favourite costume of Patrick is Esqualo's.

Re Shoma : he is in my opinion, the best dressed skater out there. I do prefer simple, and his costumes are not simple but damn, they are so good. I have too many favourites to name one of his costume in particular.

In general, ice dance has been the culprit for the most WTF costume awards over time...

Last edited:

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Shoma and Junhwan are the best dressed men today imo. After Nathan quit, there has to be a new contender for worst/most indifferently dressed though.... Grassl is pretty bad. It looked like his fly was open the whole season.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma is always on the best dressed list, and for me, he IS the best dressed out there. While he was a junior, many of his costumes.were deep.V design and got pretty monotonous. However, once he became a senior, he used Chacott, Satomi Ito, Mathieu Caron, and Shizuko Orihara -- all very different. From the elaborate beading of the Satomi Ito Winter, Loco, Turandot costumes to the understated, classy elegance of Mathieu Caron, these costumes are winners! Caron's "Oboe" costume was gorgeous. Surprised more people didn't mention Shoma's Loco costume -- it is a work of art.

Any costume with a choker gets a thumbs down from me. Very unflattering. Not sure who thought this one was a good idea,....Black murderer gloves get another thumbs down.

rabidline

Final Flight
While there are some ice shows that are... famous, for their questionable (read: ugly) group number costumes, that's definitely not the case for Mao Asada's ongoing BEYOND ice shows, designed by Satomi Ito. These are just two of the group numbers (one doesn't involve Mao).

rabidline

Final Flight
Also I don't usually like the "wings" gimmick in costumes but seeing it in a group is really pretty (and the wings look full and well-made instead of thin and arts and crafts lite):

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A slightly different angle would be... which costumes do people think are or will be seen as those very few iconic (not necessarily best but totally most likely to be remembered forever) ones? Definitely Seimei, or Yulia's Schindler's List, Nancy Kerrigan in that Vera Wang and Tonya Harding in the Very Not Wang, Torvill and Dean's Bolero, Katerina Witt's skirtless one, and (for all the wrong reasons) the Domnina and Shabalin horror mentioned before. Obviously it would be a very very short list. Of course it's hard to predict (I would have though Rippon's 2018 would be, but now I think not so much) but a couple of those I think will be

Yuna Kim - the yellow 'Send in the Clowns' or her James Bond one are what i always think of when I think of her
Yuzuru - Notte Stellata
Debi Thomas's 1988 jumpsuit
Mao's Madam Butterfly
Maybe Evgenia's Karenina

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Also I can't believe the same designer of both Kanadai's Red/Black and White/White Soran Bushi costume is the same designer as.... well, the ice show with the ugly group costumes. Shows how much direction can impact the designs.

Ice dancers always have the most beautiful costumes. That's the main reason i watch ice dance:laugh:
Speaking of Mao's ice shows, her Thanks Tour also gave "upgraded" looks of her Madame Butterfly and Fire Dance programs:

159116824.jpg

159116844.jpg

159116858.jpg

And some more group costumes from BEYOND:

198041505.jpg

198043756.jpg
I'm obssessed with her looks. I was already sold by the long skirt red firedance but the other upgrades set the bar higher.
Actually, forget the fantasy for violin and ochestra costume that i chose as my fave. This one is my favourite costume from Mao.
CXONEVKJQ5CXFF2WMCYD342YIM.jpg

Xh9aRxC.jpeg

This costume is fire. And i say this as someone who usually doesn't like transparence or the illusion of transparence.

Last edited: