Leung parts with coach McLeod again !! | Golden Skate

Leung parts with coach McLeod again !!

fiercemao

Match Penalty
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=05514dcc-e8e7-40fe-b540-4c6fefc6ceb5

For the second time in four seasons, Leung has split with her long-time coach Joanne McLeod and instead will work with Jennifer Jiang this season.
Leung will use her short and long programs from the 2007-08 season in Everett and at her second ISU Grand Prix event, November's Cup of China.
Leung said she feels comfortable with Jiang, who has limited coaching experience, but was an international level judge in China before she moved to Vancouver a few years ago. Leung met Jiang four years ago at a Cup of China event.

Her goal is hefty, she sounds pretty delusional.

Last edited by a moderator:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
can mira really make top 5??? she must have improved alot!! :) :clap:

I don't think she has the talent to do better than top 10 and then only if she's taken the judges worlds to heart and focused on fixing her weaknesses.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her biggest problem is underrotations (especially the 2A), and there's no mention of fixing that. She's been "working on presentation" for the past two seasons, but nothing much has improved.

I get the feeling that this new coach is merely another stand-in for Mama Leung, and if that is the case, then nothing will change and Mira will not be in the top 10.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I wonder why Mira does not team up with Karen Magnussen - she already coached her for awhile anyway.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I really want to see Cynthia Phaneuf in worlds team instead of Mira. Mira has never contributed to earning spots. The only reason she's been able to go to worlds is because Joannie's earned those two spots every year.
Not making the team would really strike her and possibly her mom hard and make some real improvements.
Or, she might already have made improvements over the summer, but I'm not optimistic.
But I'd like to see any Canadian lady, beside Joannie, make top 10 so that Canada will have three spots for OG.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
sorry, but I guess Mira has never looked south. She would probably not make the Top 10 at U.S nationals, never mind worlds.

lmarie086

Medalist
I really want to see Cynthia Phaneuf in worlds team instead of Mira.
Totally agree. I'd really like to see Cynthia Phaneuf make her move at Canadian Nats.

sorry, but I guess Mira has never looked south. She would probably not make the Top 10 at U.S nationals, never mind worlds.

Agree here as well. US Nats for ladies is almost a mini-Worlds in itself.
I hope for Mira's sake that this coaching change makes a big difference for her, but I'll remain skeptical as long as Mama Leung is heavily involved (she still is right? I can't imagine her not being so).

jp1andonly

Rinkside
she has been without a coach for awhile. Her new coach is acting al a christine mcbeth in that she is just a "face". Recent evals have her splatting all over, however she is a tough competitor and I wouldn't be surprised if she stood up on jumps (its splat city these days so not falling would be a huge boost to the self esteem) there are improvements, but nothing drastic and I see her sitting middle to bottomish of the field

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To Mira's credit though, she did beat Emily Hughes in the LP at Skate America last season. Mira also beat all 3 Americans Ashley Wagner, Bebe Liang, and Katrina Hacker at 4CC and Ashley Wagner again at Worlds last season.

I really don't see her being able to medal at either of her Grand Prixs or at Worlds or at Olympics though. Maybe she could win a 4CC medal some day.

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
I believe that being off this year's World Team (in favor of Cynthia Phaneuf, probably) would be the best thing for Mira right now. Somehow, she keeps setting delusional goals for herself, and doesn't seem to be significantly improving. Being off the World Team would send a message to her and maybe her mother, who seems to be quite an interesting case. While I would find it harsh on Mira to have to suffer because of her mother, if this is the only way, then be it. Cynthia already beat Mira in the LP last year at Nationals, and was further down in the SP because of a popped flip. This may be a case of if x,y,z had done this, that and the other thing, but I believe Cynthia does have a good chance of making the world team this year. Then, maybe Mira really will improve and have a very good showing the following year, in time for the Olympics in ehr hometown...

-Kypma

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Mira's new 'coach' sounds to me like another figurehead. We'll probably see some deterioration in her skating rather than improvements under her new 'coach's tutelage.

On the other hand, Cynthia is no better than Mira. She can't land those jumps. To send her to the worlds is a waste as well. Just because she's prettier does not mean she deserves it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, unfortunate but true, Cynthia has a bad habit of popping jumps, which is pointwise the worst thing a skater can do. Popping is a tough habit to overcome.

passion

On the Ice
I wish Mira all the best. It will be interesting to see how things work out with a new coach. Jennifer seems to be a very good choice and the comfort (chemistry) level is a key factor in a partnership. I look forward to a "new" Mira.

I was wondering why mira would be surprised that joanne doesn't want to teach her again. It happened before. I have a hunch it could be a blessing in disguise.

Tigger

Final Flight
Sadly, I'm w/the majority here and I can't see this being anything but a step down in her development. Mira not only needs a new coach, who is actually a real coach and not a figurehead, but she needs to get a new coach *and* away from Mama. That's never going to happen though and that's the real reason Mira will always have these goals that are so far from what she's doing out there both now and in the past.

The truly sad thing is we had this young up and comer that looked like she was really going to be something w/loads of talent and I really feel she's never really lived up to that potential. Mira's also running out of time to achieve those goals of hers. Not sure what's sadder though. That she actually believes those goals are realistic or that she's believing the people who are telling Mira they're believable and attainable. Its' a sad situation all around.

As for Cynthia beating Mira...Jumps are not everything. When it comes to line, spin quality and musicality, Cynthia's head and shoulders above Mira. While I agree not making the team for LA Worlds would be one of the best things in the world to happen to Mira, I think it could come too late if it does happen.

One thing's for certain. Canadians Sr Ladies is certainly going to be very interesting this year. :)

nadster

Final Flight
Mira being coached by Mama Leung will be a disaster. This new "coach" is clearly just a figurehead. No talk from Mira about fixing her technique or increasing her speed ( which would really help ) but just about adding combos she can't do ( 3Z-3R ) or increasing her levels.

That said even though Joanne Mcleod is a much better coach than Mama Leung there are serious flaws in Joanne's coaching ( axel technique, general stroking ) that Mira would still have problems advancing with Joanne. I have been saying that Kevin Reynolds needs a new coach to fix his deficiencies for a while. Many of Joanne Mcleod's skaters that have shown great promise at the novice level have stalled afterwards.

Mira needs to get out of Vancouver and not take Mama with her. As well she must face up to her flaws. She has constantly complained about the marking saying that her PCS is too low and that the UR calls are not justified.

Her technique is so bad that in order to fix it Mira must be willing to take one step back in order to go 2 steps forward. It may mean doing only singles of some jumps in practice for a while and having worse results temporarily while she commits herself to the new technique.

Sadly I don't see any sign that Mira will commit to all these things and that is the only way she will progress.

nadster

Final Flight
There is news that Kevin Reynolds has been working with Tarasova this summer. Apparently he spent a whold month with her without working on any jumps at all.

This is great news and hopefully means Kevin can start to get his PCS scores up.

Kypma

Final Flight
Yes, unfortunate but true, Cynthia has a bad habit of popping jumps, which is pointwise the worst thing a skater can do. Popping is a tough habit to overcome.

However, Cynthia already beat Mira in the LP at Nationals, so the judges seem to be willing to give the points if she skates well.

-Kypma