Level 1 single spin | Golden Skate

Level 1 single spin

atalide

Spectator
I am trying to understand what makes a spin a level 1. I have read lots of articles, posts that mention all the different possible features a spin may have, but does a single spin have to have 8 revolutions to be counted as a level 1 (sit 1 or camel 1) to get full points and not be judged as a sit b or camel b? I have watched skaters with difficult variations (side sit, camel catch foot) do spins with less than 8 revolutions and still get their 1.3 (for sit 1) or 1.4 (camel 1) points without 8 revolutions. Are the callers just mid counting the number of revolutions or do they not need 8 due the feature of difficult variation?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I am trying to understand what makes a spin a level 1. I have read lots of articles, posts that mention all the different possible features a spin may have, but does a single spin have to have 8 revolutions to be counted as a level 1 (sit 1 or camel 1) to get full points and not be judged as a sit b or camel b? I have watched skaters with difficult variations (side sit, camel catch foot) do spins with less than 8 revolutions and still get their 1.3 (for sit 1) or 1.4 (camel 1) points without 8 revolutions. Are the callers just mid counting the number of revolutions or do they not need 8 due the feature of difficult variation?
8 revolutions In a spin is one feature.
Difficult variation is another feature.

If you do a difficult variation for 3 revolutions successfully, that is a level.
If you hold the position for 8 revolutions, that's an additional level.
So if you did a difficult variation, and held it for 8, you'd get level 2.
Difficult entrances and exits are also features, and can gain additional levels (not both on the same spin).

For a change foot combination spin you can only count 2 features on each foot, and not repeat 2 of the same features of course.
This is by no means a comprehensive spin guide, but a general rundown of a few rules.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Also the spin rules are different depending what event you're competing in (in the US: standard track, Excel, or adult, and at what test level).

atalide

Spectator
Also the spin rules are different depending what event you're competing in (in the US: standard track, Excel, or adult, and at what test level).
So for Excel Preliminary Plus, if someone did a forward camel for
8 revolutions In a spin is one feature.
Difficult variation is another feature.

If you do a difficult variation for 3 revolutions successfully, that is a level.
If you hold the position for 8 revolutions, that's an additional level.
So if you did a difficult variation, and held it for 8, you'd get level 2.
Difficult entrances and exits are also features, and can gain additional levels (not both on the same spin).

For a change foot combination spin you can only count 2 features on each foot, and not repeat 2 of the same features of course.
This is by no means a comprehensive spin guide, but a general rundown of a few rules.

atalide

Spectator
So for Excel Preliminary Plus, if someone did a forward camel forward for 5 revolutions it would be a 1.4 point spin base value? My daughter’s coach insists that you need 8 revolutions regardless for a level 1 spin, yet another coach we know said that is just for well balanced.

gkelly

Record Breaker
From the Excel Program Technical Information handbook available on USFS Members Only:

For Excel Pre-Preliminary through Excel Pre-Juvenile Plus:

All spins, Max Level 1

Spin in one position: If a basic position is not achieved for two continuous revolutions, but there is a recognizable position, the spin will receive Level Base. Only spins with less than three revolutions will receive no value.

- Level feature: Any feature from ISU Communication #2324 - Note: unlike the ISU criteria, this feature does not require basic sit position to be in a difficult variation.

At that level, they can get credit for the 8 revolutions OR for a difficult variation, but even if they did both features the maximum level they'd be awarded is Level 1. The only options at that level are No value, Base, or Level 1.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You would need a difficult variation of the spin OR 8 revolutions.