ISU spin changes | Golden Skate

ISU spin changes

jayy

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I know that the ISU has been making changes for step sequences, but I'm not a huge fan of the new spin requirements...

Basically I don't have the jumps of the same quality as the other people in my category, so I've been reliant on my spins for getting me points, but this seems like it made getting the level 4 wayyy harder, and then will the GOE suffer because of this. Would it be safer to set myself level 3 spins, and if yes, could I maybe get some help with building my spins?

Spins: To receive level 4 in any spin, one of these features must be counted:

Difficult change of position on the same foot
Difficult exit
Clear change of edge
Both directions immediately following each other in sit or camel spin
Clear increase of speed
Difficult variation of flying entry

This is the ISU communication they sent out:

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Basically I don't have the jumps of the same quality as the other people in my category, so I've been reliant on my spins for getting me points, but this seems like it made getting the level 4 wayyy harder, and then will the GOE suffer because of this. Would it be safer to set myself level 3 spins, and if yes, could I maybe get some help with building my spins?
The GOE should not be dependent on which level the spin achieves. Judges don't know what level the tech panel awarded.

GOE is dependent on quality.

If you focus on trying to achieve level 4 and fail because of inadequate execution, judges may see the weaknesses in execution and penalize in GOE.

But if you aim for level 2 or 3 and execute everything well, there would be nothing for judges to penalize for and hopefully plenty for them to reward.

So yes, if you would struggle to achieve level 4 under the updated rules, you would definitely be better off aiming for fewer features and executing them as well as possible.

jayy

Rinkside
Country
Canada
The GOE should not be dependent on which level the spin achieves. Judges don't know what level the tech panel awarded.

GOE is dependent on quality.

If you focus on trying to achieve level 4 and fail because of inadequate execution, judges may see the weaknesses in execution and penalize in GOE.

But if you aim for level 2 or 3 and execute everything well, there would be nothing for judges to penalize for and hopefully plenty for them to reward.

So yes, if you would struggle to achieve level 4 under the updated rules, you would definitely be better off aiming for fewer features and executing them as well as possible.
Thank you so much! :)

yesterday

Record Breaker
Dusting off this thread as it seems the most fitting for my idea crazyness.

I read this interview yesterday http://absoluteskating.com/interviews/2022sadovsky.html
and the longer part about levels on spins, records and maxing out led to an idea - maybe it's a bit related to Roman being a gamer in his freetime, but what about this:

In certain games, you can e.g. train a character in specific skills and when you max a skill, this particular skill gets upped to a new level where you can then again work further to max it out (very simple and not accurate wording, sorry to everybody with more knowledge on this).
Following this, how about applying that to figure skating in a way to make it possible to get more GOE/points on certain elements if you're really that good and have achieved a (kind of) max on an element?

Maybe this would open up possibilities to strenghten strenghts more and precise work on certain details could be especially rewarded. So a jumper with his "signature jump" could try to bring this "to the new level" and a fabulous spinner or someone with the best steps and turns focuses on their "best element".

Of course, you can't do this endlessly like in a game and that's not the aim and the sport is still judged. But I've read discussions here about rule changes that often drift into what should be worth more points or what less etc. This idea combines some of those hopes I think, even if it's not likely being adopted by ISU.