Lim and Quan look to 2026 | Golden Skate

Lim and Quan look to 2026

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
South Korea's Hannah Lim and Ye Quan, the 2023 World Junior silver medalists, share a bit about themselves, when they began skating, how they met, and chose ice dance. They cover the highlights of their 2022-23 season, their strengths as a team, and their expectations for the senior level next year.

The young team also discuss their weaknesses and what they want to improve on, as well as styles of music they will contemplate for 2023-24. They both have input on their choices of music and reveal possible choreographers for their new program. Both ice dancers share their goals, both on an off the ice, for the future. Milano Cortina 2026!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Lovely team, they seem very grounded and mature for their age. But I see that Ye is of Chinese heritage, not Korean - he will have to obtain Korean nationality to go to the Olympics. Does Korea allow dual nationality?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was amused by the fact that Ye didn't know what the heck his parents were doing in Iceland when he was born. It seems he isn't very curious at all if he hasn't asked them that! Maybe he will ask now, to be prepared for future interviews.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lovely team, they seem very grounded and mature for their age. But I see that Ye is of Chinese heritage, not Korean - he will have to obtain Korean nationality to go to the Olympics. Does Korea allow dual nationality?
maybe @Ichatdelune has better info... google says this

Can a foreigner become a South Korean citizen?

General Naturalization (Resident of 5 Years)

Foreigners that have never attained Korean nationality, has no family relationship whatsoever with a Korean national, and have had domicile address in Korea for more than 5 consecutive years are eligible to apply for general naturalization.

So if they aim for 2026... then... I don't know.

radkat

Rinkside
maybe @Ichatdelune has better info... google says this

Can a foreigner become a South Korean citizen?

General Naturalization (Resident of 5 Years)

Foreigners that have never attained Korean nationality, has no family relationship whatsoever with a Korean national, and have had domicile address in Korea for more than 5 consecutive years are eligible to apply for general naturalization.

So if they aim for 2026... then... I don't know.
South Korea, like most countries, has a special citizenship route for elite athletes (and other people judged to have outstanding talent/merit). These routes usually waive (or significantly lower) standard residence requirements.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
South Korea, like most countries, has a special citizenship route for elite athletes (and other people judged to have outstanding talent/merit). These routes usually waive (or significantly lower) standard residence requirements.
Good to know because it also affects Cho and Adcock.

Weathergal

Medalist
I was thinking of other South Korean ice dance teams in which one partner was a citizen of a different country. I came up with Rebecca Kim / Kiril Minov; he's from Russia. But they never went to the Olympics. But with Yura Min / Alexander Gamelin, he's from the US, and they did skate in the Olympics. He skated with his twin sister Danielle until the spring of 2015 when he paired up with Yura. They skated in the 2018 Olympics, so it sounds like his citizenship would have been fast tracked. I'm hoping the same can be true for Quan!