Lipnitskaia is asked to move to pairs | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaia is asked to move to pairs

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
By Oleg Vasiliev.

He thinks that Olympic Games in Sochi were her peak as single skater, but he's sure that she can recreate it as pair skater with strong partner. He also says that she has everything that female partner needs to be successful in pairs. So he officially asks her to move from singles to pairs. Thoughts?

https://dni.ru/sport/2016/10/19/351208.html

:popcorn:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I wish the best for Julia. She's an amazingly talented lady. But I recall reading an interview where she mentioned she had considered ice dance but someone told her it takes hours of daily practice to learn to skate with someone else. She didn't seem keen on it after hearing that. Is she going to be ok/not bored putting in all that work?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This doesn't speak as much about Lipnitskaia as it does about the state of Russian pairs. IMHO.

It is a pity someone of his stature doesn't believe in her anymore in singles. I still doooooo :(

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'd like to see what she can achieve as a singles skater this season with Urmanov as her coach before I'd say this is in any way a good idea. It's working for Valentina Marchei at a later stage in her career so there's no rush to push Yulia into it...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well she can be a great pair lady but it would be a waste... but I agree it might be an option

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
She would do amazing lift positions, that's for sure. And I guess the pair spin could be great. Anyway, I think if and only if her singles career doesn't work out, if she's not able to compete at Europeans or Worlds within the next two seasons she should either change the country, have a nice professional career or try something challenging like pairs skating. She's still time for that and she would be stupid to try it without a really great partner.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
She would do amazing lift positions, that's for sure. And I guess the pair spin could be great. Anyway, I think if and only if her singles career doesn't work out, if she's not able to compete at Europeans or Worlds within the next two seasons she should either change the country, have a nice professional career or try something challenging like pairs skating. She's still time for that and she would be stupid to try it without a really great partner.

go pro... adelina seems to understand that if it doesn't work she can capitalize on her gold medal... why not julia?

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I would like to see Yulia with Max Miroshkin if she'll move. He can do pretty good Biellmann spin, and as far as I know he's without a partner now :)

Camillo

On the Ice
Jason has great flexible spins ;) but yeah.. Lips I spin? no man can do that... haha
True.
I'm trying to imagine combo spin (Yuliya in I-spin, Jason holding her leg (?) and doing Y-spin) but Yulia's speed in this position is too fast, no way :laugh2:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It never crossed my mind and neither I stumbled across that proposal anywhere before. I think it could be good idea for Lipnitskaya but only after few years since now.

It sounds quite desperate as it's not Yulia's idea but coming from some official. Moreover pretty rude to speak like that "Sochi was her peak .... blah, blah". Hopefully she's free now, more self-aware (that decision to change the coach indicates that) and can avoid external pressure unlike in the past.

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
With her flexibility she could be a Natalia Mishkutenok type partner. But I am not sure if her personality is fit for pair skating. Well not that I know her personally or anything so I might be mistaken. Something may be worth trying a few years down the line, but at this moment I think she still has much more to give as a single skater.

Last edited:
I think it's rude, unprofessional, and completely desperate for Vasiliev to publically ask that of Julia. Because she'll never find success in ladies again? Her spins are too good for pairs, good luck finding a men's skater that can keep up with her there. Maybe when she's 30, and Vasiliev should be the last coach she goes to IMO. Moskvina or Mozer would be better.