Love a Good Steak or Burger? Scary News | Golden Skate

Love a Good Steak or Burger? Scary News

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I must be on a "health kick" or something. Here is some more "somber" diet info!!!

A sizzling steak or hamburger on the grill may be what's for dinner this weekend, but eating too much of these fatty staples could lead to type 2 diabetes, according to new research from the University of Minnesota.

Doctors have long suspected a link between diabetes and saturated fat or animal fat, but no actual biological evidence has ever been produced--until now. This study, which was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, concludes that as the level of fatty acids increase, the likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes also increases. In other words, eat too many steaks and burgers and you're more likely to develop type 2 diabetes.

The study: To come up with the biological smoking gun, lead researcher Lu Wang measured the levels of fatty acids in the blood of 2,909 adults ages 45 to 64 and followed the participants for nine years. Fatty acids accumulate over time. The more saturated fat you eat, the higher the level of fatty acids.

The results: 11.5 percent, or 252, of the men and women developed type 2 diabetes. Fatty acids were significantly associated with the risk for diabetes even after adjusting for other known risk factors, such as age, gender, body mass index, alcohol intake, cigarette smoking, physical activity, education, family history, and more.

What can you do now to lower your risk of getting diabetes later? Lose weight, exercise, and eat a diet that is rich in fish and vegetables and low in animal fat. A recent study from Harvard University even suggests one or two glasses of wine or beer daily can help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, especially in pre-menopausal women.

You can still eat the steak. Just make it an occasional treat instead of a regular meal.

The study findings were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

http://cdn-channels.netscape.com/cp/fte/steakorburger/i/steakorburger_120.jpg

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm going to a diabetes class in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to it at all. Went with my hubby back in the mid 90's and they were really boring. This is with a different clinic and last only 2 long days instead of the 4 before. It starts at 8:30 am til 4:30.
Trouble is it is around 30 miles and I don't like getting up that early.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Grgranny:

I don't blame you! I was married to a type 1 (juvenille) diabetic for twelve years! Very difficult. Yes, the meetings are boring. My present fella is a type 2 diabetic! What a coinicidence, eh? Anyway, I attended a clinic with him. It's not as difficult to look after him as it was with my husband. I sometimes forget he is diabetic. Anyway, all the best.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What all of this is boiling down to is... moderation and genetics...

at least that's what dad is yelling from the living room LOL :laugh: :rolleye:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
What to eat???

These days it seems so confusing to figure out WHAT a healthy diet really consists of. I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch. I have done TONS of reading, research and personal experimentation over the last couple years and have drawn my own conclusions about what seems to be best for me. I do not in ANY way wish to push my conclusions off on anyone else. However if you are interested in books, links, articles, etc. on lowered carbohydrate diets, I can share my resources with you.

One of the most challenging aspects of figuring out the eating puzzle is the conflicting advice that comes from both the government and the medical community. That's why I think it's important to do tons of reading on one's own.

My father was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. Based on the research I had already done, I sent him a book titled Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Dr. Bernstein is a Type I Diabetic and was an engineer by education / trade. Over the years he did tons of research based on his own condition, and subsequently became an MD so he could legitimately treat patients specializing in both Type I & Type II.

Dad has had the opportunity to eat according to Dr. Bernstein's recommendations, and according to his doctor's recommendations which are different. (and Dad is very disciplined - follows his plan to the letter each day). Since he takes blood sugar readings 3 X per day right now, the evidence has been very clear about what works best for him. When he follow's the Bernstein plan, his blood sugar readings stay substantially closer to normal and he feels better.

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/ is a link to the Web site for anyone interested.

I have also found that there seems to be a research study out there to support any position you might want to take. So it's hard to rely on those as well.

Just my 2 cents - no food fights OK? :)

DG