Low-Tech Compulsory Program? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Low-Tech Compulsory Program?

gkelly

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
OK, but that's not what I'm proposing. Why change the short and long programs? My recommendation is to introduce a single & double jump program that would give the skaters the opportunity to show that they can actually skate the elements well without the stress of having to land triples and quads. My take on the extra cost of such a program is - the skaters already have numerous costumes from previous seasons, and they have music from previous seasons they know very well. They could use these for the "low-tech" program.

How long would this program be? Same length as the long or short program, or completely different? (I.e., could they use music that's already been cut for a previous program, or would they have to make a new cut even if they used the same music?) If they can just take music and choreography from an old program, can they just skate the old program and water down the jumps? Maybe add some more difficult steps to show off what they can do between elements when the elements aren't so taxing while keeping the same basic choreography? If so, why not do the same with their current program if they've been using the same music since they were juniors anyway?

Is this a phase you want to add to all competitions, or only ISU championships, or only ISU championships with more than 30-35 competitors that require qualifying rounds?

Do you want to see all skaters have to do this program because you think it would be a good reflection of skills that are not adequately reflected in the existing short and long programs? That having to learn and compete with this program in all their competitions all year would help all the skaters develop important skills that are being neglected under the current requirements? Can you describe what kind of rules you'd apply to your new program to achieve that?

What do you think that the existing short program accomplishes that would be lost if there were only your new program and the long program?

Or do you just want to see a few top skaters who already have very high-level technical and performance skills and plenty of funding from prize money etc. perform programs that showcase the strengths of the top skaters in earlier generations for your own enjoyment because you don't see enough of those strengths in today's skaters?

Aren't we allowed to start threads and open the floor for discussion in this message board?

No one said you couldn't discuss it. I'm just asking you to clarify for me, for yourself, and for anyone else who wants to join the discussion how it would work and what it would accomplish. I'm still not clear on what *you* want, and of course everyone else who joins the discussion, including me, wants something a little different from a "low-tech program." Help us get on the same page.

I think all of this is a discussion of how to make the Short Program more meaningful instead of a preview of what's coming in the LP.

1. If changing the format of the SP is not to your liking than this discussion will not be either.

2. No one poster in this discussion has the power to change the present format of the SP, but we can discuss it for the sake of seeing what posters can come up with.

3. I presume lo-tech is everything less than triple jumps and no variations on spins. Reason for using lo-tech: To compaare how well the skaters can actually skate blade to ice.

4 How much hi-tech would you permit within a new format for the SP?

and

5. Is there a way to make the SP be more of an individual and meaningful competition and not like its big sister, the LP which will, among other tricks, just repeat everything that was done in the SP?

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

I would like to see a compulsory low-tech program replace the long program as the qualifying skate, plain and simple.

In my opinion, the elimination of the school figures has resulted in a new generation of figure skaters, some of whom possess weak basic skating skills. Timothy Goebel has wonderful triples and quads - when he's not injured - but his carriage is poor, his back is rounded, etc. Suraya Bonaly won three European titles in the 1990s with basic skating skills that were absolutely abysmal. UGH.

Of course, many of today's top skaters take ballet, dance, Pilates classes, etc. and they have gorgeous carriage and line. This type of program would be a showcase for them.

The low-tech program would have singles, doubles, spins, moves in the field, and other basic skating skills. No triples or quads, and deductions would be taken if a skater tried to incorporate them in the program.

This would not be so much as an elimination program, as such, but it would give skaters with great basic skating skills a good start and it would give skaters with poor basic technique a wake-up call to get back to the rink and learn how to skate.

Would this be feasible? Would it be worth the time and effort? Maybe yes, and maybe no. How long would the program last? Perhaps 3 minutes.

Look, guys, I have to tell you that some of you are downright exasperating. Do you expect me to have a full-blown presentation on this subject? Do I have to write a legal brief on this? Egads, give me a break. I certainly do not have all of the answers, and neither does anyone on this message board.