Male Junior Worlds medallists - and where are they now? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Male Junior Worlds medallists - and where are they now?

Brian Boitano was 14 when he gort bronze at junior worlds in 1978. If he had stayed junior for another couple of years he likely would have won a championship.

Michelle Kwan won world juniors at 13. The plan was for her to stay in juniors for another year, but she snuck around behind her coaches' back (fibbing to her father about what her coach wanted her to do) and tested for seniors, after which she was inaeligible for junior competition.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Brian Boitano was 14 when he gort bronze at junior worlds in 1978. If he had stayed junior for another couple of years he likely would have won a championship.

Michelle Kwan won world juniors at 13. The plan was for her to stay in juniors for another year, but she snuck around behind her coaches' back (fibbing to her father about what her coach wanted her to do) and tested for seniors, after which she was inaeligible for junior competition.
IIRC, Nathan was also 14 and with his arm in a cast. This is exactly my point, ppl like Brian and Nathan only competed in juniors when very young.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
yeah.. nice try ;) typo corrected above ;)

I was an athlete in my youth... and the Olympic dream, though i was never close to it, fueled me... So, to me, though I agree there are a lot of problems with the IOC and the games, I hope a solution is found rather than canceling them.
I think our world can no longer afford building giant things for 3 weeks’ use at a loss and nobody watching 80% of the show. We simply have bigger problems than l pretending games mean something to people other than a few politicians. The 2022 just showed how hollow theta institution is and how utterly without value.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I think our world can no longer afford building giant things for 3 weeks’ use at a loss and nobody watching 80% of the show. We simply have bigger problems than l pretending games mean something to people other than a few politicians. The 2022 just showed how hollow theta institution is and how utterly without value.
I do agree that there are much more important things in the world than the Olympics, or any sporting events. However, you are painting with a broad brush in saying/assuming that the Olympics mean nothing to anyone. Audience members can feel however they feel and they can watch or not watch. But I think the ATHLETES for sure derive meaning from the Olympics. Ultimately, it is the ATHLETES who care most about the Olympics by choosing to train for them.

The Olympic movement has been tarnished by several things over time, but whether cancelling the Olympics is the way forward, I am not sure. There would certainly be a lot of fallout if that happened. Somehow I doubt the Olympics will be discontinued, but I don't have a crystal ball. No one does. All we have are our opinions, in this case.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I do agree that there are much more important things in the world than the Olympics, or any sporting events. However, you are painting with a broad brush in saying/assuming that the Olympics mean nothing to anyone. Audience members can feel however they feel and they can watch or not watch. But I think the ATHLETES for sure derive meaning from the Olympics. Ultimately, it is the ATHLETES who care most about the Olympics by choosing to train for them.

The Olympic movement has been tarnished by several things over time, but whether cancelling the Olympics is the way forward, I am not sure. There would certainly be a lot of fallout if that happened. Somehow I doubt the Olympics will be discontinued, but I don't have a crystal ball. No one does. All we have are our opinions, in this case.
Athletes are competitive people. They will have annual dream, more can win those, no discrimination against athletes who were born in unsuitable years to peak for the next Olympic cycle. Spending all that money just to give athletes a once per year dream sis wasteful. It served general population fitness goal when the competitions were everyman’s game. Anyone could try everything. But looks at it now. It no longer has anything to do with people. Just political games between a few countries. Olympics lost its relevance, and in the lean years the spendings are egregious and a feast during the plague. It’s time to flash the 4 year cycle of pointlessness. Maybe it made sense in Ancient Greece since that’s how often they could get enough food together, but today this artificial construct is just another travesty.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Domestic tests have no bearing on what level one competes at ISU competitions.

The story about Kwan testing up to senior relates to the 1993 season, when she competed senior at US Nationals at age 12, placing 6th.

It has been quite common for skaters to compete at both Junior and Senior Worlds in the same season or to go back to Juniors after having competed at senior Worlds the year before.

Going back the next year is more common for skaters from smaller federations who meet the age requirements for both (i.e., in a few years that will just be 17 and 18 year olds in singles).

But competing at Jr. Worlds in December (20th century) or early March (21st century, pandemic disruptions aside) and then at Worlds in late March the same season has been common enough for age-eligible skaters from strong federations such as the US as well.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I totally remember that story....Ambitious young lady.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't Nathan 17 when he first skated senior on the Grand Prix? So it's not as though he internationally "jumped out" (hahahaha, see what I did there? :)) of juniors the minute he was 15.

And the same with Vincent. Started Senior GP at 17?

And as I recall, Nathan came in 6th in the 2017 Worlds. Jason came in 7th, so they regained those three spots for Worlds (OT but that's how I remember) Their coaches (IMO wisely) managed their development as skaters. Turned out pretty well for both of them. :)

Apple1078

Final Flight
Wasn't Nathan 17 when he first skated senior on the Grand Prix? So it's not as though he internationally "jumped out" (hahahaha, see what I did there? :)) of juniors the minute he was 15.

And the same with Vincent. Started Senior GP at 17?

And as I recall, Nathan came in 6th in the 2017 Worlds. Jason came in 7th, so they regained those three spots for Worlds (OT but that's how I remember) Their coaches (IMO wisely) managed their development as skaters. Turned out pretty well for both of them. :)
I think you're right. I think Nathan was supposed to do both senior and junior worlds in 2016 (I think he was 16 at the time) but then he injured his hip at the exhibition at Nationals. He went full senior when he returned for the 2016-17 season.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think you're right. I think Nathan was supposed to do both senior and junior worlds in 2016 (I think he was 16 at the time) but then he injured his hip at the exhibition at Nationals. He went full senior when he returned.

Yes, he was selected for the Worlds team (3rd at Nats) although he had skated junior GP. He injured himself. I would never ever wish injury on anyone, but that did allow Grant Hochstein to go to Worlds in Boston and have the Skate of His Life, and didn't exactly hurt Nathan's career. ;)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
So it's not as though he internationally "jumped out" (hahahaha, see what I did there? :)) of juniors the minute he was 15.
He would have had, if he wasn’t injured, and Scott Allen of US did, being the youngest male skater to be an Olympic medallist at 14 years of age.

US sent really young skaters to compete all the time, and Chen would have been no exception. It didn’t hurt Chen’s career, but it could have had if there was three other men capable of doing what he was doing.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He would have had, if he wasn’t injured, and Scott Allen of US did, being the youngest male skater to be an Olympic medallist at 14 years of age.

US sent really young skaters to compete all the time, and Chen would have been no exception. It didn’t hurt Chen’s career, but it could have had if there was three other men capable of doing what he was doing.

No he didn't, he was 16 when he skated senior at Nats, but that was not his first full senior year. (ETA: maybe it's the definition of "Senior"? I consider "Senior" to be first year on the senior GP, not US Nats.) His first full senior year was 2016-17, when he was 17, and he finished 6th at Worlds.

The junior/senior men in the US tend to take things deliberately, I have not seen one go to senior GP at 15 because they're raring to take on the competition. They pace themselves, which is admirable IMO. Maybe I'm not remembering all of them, certainly possible. :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
No he didn't, he was 16 when he skated senior at Nats, but that was not his first full senior year. (ETA: maybe it's the definition of "Senior"? I consider "Senior" to be first year on the senior GP, not US Nats.) His first full senior year was 2016-17, when he was 17, and he finished 6th at Worlds.

The junior/senior men in the US tend to take things deliberately, I have not seen one go to senior GP at 15 because they're raring to take on the competition. They pace themselves, which is admirable IMO. Maybe I'm not remembering all of them, certainly possible. :)
It’s more of a Japanese thing for men to compete in seniors young.