Mao Asada news | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada news

suosuo

Rinkside
^ According to Akira Andrea, posting on FSU, Jupiter was choreographed by Lori Nichol. :)

(Her other program, to Chopin, was by Tatiana Tarasova.)

By the way, that same poster says that the version of "Jupiter" that Mao skated to was not the British patriotic hymn but lyrics by a popular Japanese singer Ayaka Hirahara, Evidently this is a current number one hit in Japan. Here are the words in English:
I think Japanese media made a mistake here. Japanese singer Ayaka Hirahara has a song named Jupiter but it's not the one Mao used.
Mao's ex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1rMvNAj0RY
Jupiter by ayaka hirahara
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7rob0JVlfE&feature=related

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
It helps the resemblance that her beginning cross-foot spin and final pose were classic Kwan moves, and that lovely spread eagle of course. But physically and stylistically, she is softer and more flexible than Kwan (though they both have good lines and extension). What they most have in common is musicality and expressiveness. I feel like Mao has really matured in this piece, more sure/confident of herself than ever. Michelle Kwan was a performance prodigy. Even at 15, she had total confidence in her ability to hold the audience captivated and enthralled, to take them on an emotionally journey with her -- no hesitation, no doubt, no aloofness. Even if she made mistakes, you didn't feel like the "spell" was broken.

I feel like Mao is finally at that level of performance with this exhibition. She made very light of the stumble she had on the footwork. I hope that she can bring this level of skating to her competitions too!

I agree with you totally. Like you said Mao is more flexible than Michelle, and has longer arms, legs and neck which probably attribute to her more balletic style. Michelle, while physically not as advantaged, with all her attributes always had captivating performances that were unique to skating (with so many lovely moves in the field that you mentioned).

I might add that while Michelle's expressiveness was so 'consistent' whereas Mao's might have depended on her actial emotion on that given day. Of course Michelle had a number of special moments like Lyra Anglelica at Nationals and Field of Gold at Salt Lake in which her overwhelming emotions added even more to her expressions, but we were able to rely on her in this department regardless outer factors. It was 'her thing'. On the other hand Mao has been relying on her natural presence (her posture, flexibility, the 'pure' grace about her) IMO and required a program that takes advantage of that rather than her actively presenting. With Jupiter Mao might have had a lot to feel and tell after her visit to the tsunami affected areas. Or she might have matured into a performer who has learnt to be more actively in touch with her emotion.

On another note, Lori Nichol!! :clap::clap::clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mao skated like a woman there. The maturity and the depth of her edges were lovely to see, as were her solid jumps.
I loved seeing Lori Nichol create a program like that again, so much like a younger Michelle program, the spread eage, the crossfoot spin (as others have noted), the three-turn in lunge position that I love. I have not seen that side of Lori in a long time. Welcome back.

Chopin himself would surely have loved Mao. She interprets his music with such lightness--as if the wind is carrying her along. I especially love the way she uses her arms and upper body.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thanks for sharing. Mao's exhibitions are always fabulous, love them.

hongligl

Final Flight
I love Mao's new exhibition programs! She looks so much more matured. With the new depth of emotion and expresions, and the apparently solid jumps, she is definitely the best package ever now. I'm rooting for Mao to win every single competitions for years to come! Go for OGM Mao! I'm a fan now.

It's so great to realize that the new season is just about here, and that we'll be able to see Mao's new programs as well as those of the other skaters. I hope she outdoes herself this season.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It's so great to realize that the new season is just about here, and that we'll be able to see Mao's new programs as well as those of the other skaters. I hope she outdoes herself this season.

I'm hoping we see her at all this season. She already is skipping the GP, I think it is a possibility that she will take the whole year off and prepare for Sochi.