Mariah Bell Chacked in Detroit | Golden Skate

Mariah Bell Chacked in Detroit

Well !!! The City of Detroit just celebrated its annual Christmas tree lighting celebration, complete with entertainers including ice skaters. Local ice dancers Pate and Bye peformed (beutifully). The promoted headliner was U.S. champ Mariah Bell. But when Mariah took the ice the TV coverage cut away to a pair of commercials for local law firms. We got back to Mariah just as she was taking her final bow.

OK, I know the bills have to be paid and a tip of the tam to the businesses that sponsor this happy community fest. Still ... grrr.

For any newby fans that might happen on this this thread, "To Chack" someone means to cut their performance out of the television coverage of an event. The phase honors former U.S. men's figure skater figure skater Michael Chack, won the bronze medal at the 1992-93 U.S. Championships,(beating both Rudy Galindo and Todd Eldredge), but the TV coverage showed only the gold and silver winners.

For some reason the TV producers figured that the audience would rather see Nancy Kerrigan, Lisa Ervin, Tonia Kwiatkk:love:owski :love:. Tonya Harding, Nicole Bobeck and Michelle Kwan.

Here he is at Skate America (4th place) the year before:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For any newby fans that might happen on this this thread, "To Chack" someone means to cut their performance out of the television coverage of an event. The phase honors former U.S. men's figure skater figure skater Michael Chack, won the bronze medal at the 1992-93 U.S. Championships,(beating both Rudy Galindo and Todd Eldredge), but the TV coverage showed only the gold and silver winners.
Ah I was wondering about that...

Poor Mr Chack though! I'd have been so peeved, I bet he told all his family to watch and everything...

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that performance, nice costume too! :biggrin:

Commentary was a bit awkward though..."Possibly the future of US men's figure skating" and we never heard of him again.

Also... LOL at the unrelated bit with Christopher Bowman at the end...like OMG, just announce to the whole world he and his coach are having a fight. The more things change...

Last edited:
Also... LOL at the unrelated bit with Christopher Bowman at the end...like OMG, just announce to the whole world he and his coach are having a fight.
As a coach, Frank Carroll always took a personal interest in the well-being and success of his students. To this day he has not gotten over being angry at the ISU judges for the deal-making that he felt unfairly cost Linda Frattianne the Olympic gold medal in 1980.

But Christopher Bowman was the joy of his heart. It just killed him to see Bowman throw his talent away,, and eventually his life, on drugs. Carroll vowed that he would never again allow himself to become so emotionally involved in his coaching responsibilties. True, he had great affection for Michelle Kwan and his feelings were hurt when she departed in 2001, but his only public comment was, "I thought we were growing closer together, but I guess we were growing further apart." :(

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Well !!! The City of Detroit just celebrated its annual Christmas tree lighting celebration, complete with entertainers including ice skaters. Local ice dancers Pate and Bye peformed (beutifully). The promoted headliner was U.S. champ Mariah Bell. But when Mariah took the ice the TV coverage cut away to a pair of commercials for local law firms. We got back to Mariah just as she was taking her final bow.

OK, I know the bills have to be paid and a tip of the tam to the businesses that sponsor this happy community fest. Still ... grrr.

For some reason the TV producers figured that the audience would rather see Nancy Kerrigan, Lisa Ervin, Tonia Kwiatkk:love:owski :love:. Tonya Harding, Nicole Bobeck and Michelle Kwan.

Here he is at Skate America (4th place) the year before:

I just totally loved it when I was scrolling and saw the "Chacked"!!! Wasn't sure you meant what I thought it was, but there you go! hehe. I think it was Trudi Marrapodi who coined the term on Udel Skatefans way back when. And yeah, that broadcast was pathetic that year. I also loved Michael Chack's skating (I grew up in New Jersey so gotta support the homeboy). Too bad he never realized his potential. He was doing one foot axel into a 4sal too, in honor of Trenary maybe? Saw him land it in practice.

So you are a fan of Kwiatkowski I gather? I still get a chuckle how at 96 Worlds the announcer called her Kwee-at-KOV-ski! lol

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I always liked Michael Chack's triple toe with the arms at the sides - it was a cool variation!
Yeah I noticed that! It was cool!

As a coach, Frank Carroll always took a personal interest in the well-being and success of his students.
Well apparently the coach was Toller Cranston at the time. I'm not that familiar with Christopher Bowman, but that's sad to hear about his drug issues :(

What's Frank up to these days, I know he retired.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is a very short instagram clip of Mariah skating in Detroit. Love the spiral!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OMG, she's wearing warm clothes! Just kidding; I've just been reading the "mandatory costumes" thread. She looks fine. I prefer it when outdoor skaters wear outdoor clothes instead of indoor ones!