2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Hi Flying Camel,

Yes, I've been watching for years too. In my opinion, the only true contender is POlina in the senior ranks. USFSA just need to support her. The future does look bleak for the ladies, doesn't it? That's why I've been trying to follow the younger skaters. Anyway, I saw this one girl name Alysa Liu skate her short and long program in the Intermediate level. I am not sure of the ranking, is it juvenile, intermediate, then the highest is Novice before Juniors and Seniors, right?

She is really really cute and sort of looks like Julia Lipnitskaia except I think Alysa looks half white, half Asian. She WON the competition, btw. Also, another girl who took 3rd place was really good too, her name was also Alysa. And finally, the fourth place finished looked like a very young Yuna Kim, similar body type, named Angelina Hwang, she was good too. Here are there videos if anyone cares to see. Maybe they are the future of US figure skating if their bodies can hold up.

Fast forward to 10:20 for Angelina Hwang
Fast forward to 26:00 for Alysa Rich
Fast forward to 42:45 for Alysa Rich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um7DJpAO9xY

And here was their victory ceremony video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELtpV-WITDE

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Guess I am missing something because though I haven't seen Polina in awhile I have been following her career since juniors and this last year (when I did see her skate) I have to say I was convinced that what I was seeing of her was the final, finished version. It left me disappointed not because she was bad but because I didn't like her type of skating. There was an inelegance and rote quality there that obviously was never going to separate her from the pack. But this performance... this was a revelation! Some people talking about her being over-scored and I'm thinking to myself, did we both see the same thing? She looks strong, elegant, fierce and polished. I'm not exaggerating when I say that that skate of hers was the best skate I've seen from an American this year. She physically looks different as well (although her boots still look big :biggrin:) I need to see her free skate to fully come around but right now I am very intrigued and I certainly don't think her participation at Worlds would be horrible for the USFSA. It might even be something to look forward to with some degree of anticipation.

Hello Rabid, I am new to this site. Yes, I agree. Polina's body has fully matured, I'd say. That's why I said it's time for USFSA to start backing her up against the international ladies before it's too late. Women can only skate for so long after your body matures.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Can someone explain me why America believes so much in Gracie Gold? I've never seen a clean short and a clean long program from her; okay she has great skating skills and artistry but this isn't enough anymore. She doesn't deserve second place after the short program.

Also respect for Polina, but i hope this won't be the numbers we will see at worlds: a 65-66 (steps sequence was pretty empty to me) would be more appropriate, but nonetheless great job there, this is definetely her chance to win Nationals.

Hahah, I laughed at your comment :) I honestly don't know why either. I was rooting for Gracie at first when she first entered Senior rank, but she never delivers. Not only that, she doesn't look like someone who really wants to win. Polina is great. Like I've kept saying, she needs a better music choice/cut, and choreographer. But I don't know if it costs a lot more to go to a reputable choreographer. I suggests for her to go to a Canadian choreographer like DAvid Wilson or Shaylin Bourne.

RABID

Final Flight
Hello Rabid, I am new to this site. Yes, I agree. Polina's body has fully matured, I'd say. That's why I said it's time for USFSA to start backing her up against the international ladies before it's too late. Women can only skate for so long after your body matures.

Welcome! And thanks for the reply. I don't think it's anywhere too late but I am thinking it just might be "her time". Hopefully we see THIS Polina in her free skate. If we do than all bets are off on the status quo. Stay tuned! :luv17:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you see where her boot ripped? It would be pretty impossible for any skater to do that on purpose during the middle of their program! Yes, Mirai hitting the wall last year was her fault, but not this.

Of course it wasn't her fault. Mirai inspires hate among some. Thankfully, she has more fans than haters. As for the boot, it didn't really affect her program, did it? It seems to me that her technical scores were pretty good, except for the edge call--I guess they found it when were scrutinizing the jump for under-rotation. Mirai, in my opinion, gets under-marked in PCS. One judge scored her mostly in the 6's, which is ridiculous--almost as ridiculous as the judge that gave Gracie all 9's.

lavender

Record Breaker
As a fan of multiple sports I'm going to tell you the secret of making figure skating popular again. One word: win!

I live in North Carolina. The Carolina panthers were never popular, until they started winning. Now everybody can't shut up about them! If it looks like we're not going to win, nobody's interested in watching anymore. If anyone won at the international level, not just bronze, when we would see a very different mindset about figure skating in the US.

Yeah they need to win and keep winning. Skaters like Hanyu, Chan continue to win and back it up with amazing skates.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Of course it wasn't her fault. Mirai inspires hate among some. Thankfully, she has more fans than haters. As for the boot, it didn't really affect her program, did it? It seems to me that her technical scores were pretty good, except for the edge call--I guess they found it when were scrutinizing the jump for under-rotation. Mirai, in my opinion, gets under-marked in PCS. One judge scored her mostly in the 6's, which is ridiculous--almost as ridiculous as the judge that gave Gracie all 9's.

Judge who gave Mirai 6 should be fired and banned for life. Same with the judge who gave Gracie 9. Very obvious that they are judging based on reputation and not what's put out in the actual competition. What ******** nonsense judging is this.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I'm not referring to specific skaters like Gracie, I'm referring to the depths of the two programs as a whole.

Russian girls are not winning due to money from the government, I agree, and I did not say otherwise in my post. Russia does, however, have a much larger pool of overall talent than the US due to the differences between the two countries.

FS is just much more popular in Russia than in the U.S. especially in ladies. My friend's daughter is 9. She just started to do 2A and is preparing for triples. He pays for everything but regular ice and regular small coach salary, for one thing dresses, skates, parking lot at the rink, etc. The thing is, he wants his daughter out but he cannot - she is just mad about FS. It has nothing to do with state funding. Look at GP crowds in the States and in Russia. With all ruble free fall I still had to pay 150 bucks for one day ticket to get a good seat at CoR. And, of course, you cannot compare incomes. Average income in Russia is about 400 dollars per month now. And good skates are not produced here.

The main question is how to make FS popular in the U.S. not how to resolve "funding injustice".

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

I don't understand how anyone who can hate Mirai... she has rarely EVER been overscored, nor has she said anything vaguely controversial, other than appearing as the perpetual underdog, bad luck, underachiever consider her talent and potential. She took her losses with graces, and I admire she is obviously struggling but kept going. I have always figured if she had cared less about pleasing others than just pleasing herself, she'd be a better performer and skater. Time is not on her side, this sport is grilling for the aging ladies and overgenerous with the young comers right now.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just watched Polina's program several times and I gotta say I think that flip was AT LEAST (!)

I know that is why when people compared her to that Canadian Osmond who left out the triple triple I couldn't say Polina was clearly better.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
A lot of comments have been made about Mirai and her boot situation, fault, bad luck, rules etc. I think it is clear that there are a lot of posters on this site who have huge "opinions" (including me) though in fair analysis there are some who are uber lovers and not so favourable about certain skaters lol. In Mirai's case I think we can safely say her boot is a horrible misfortune no matter what. She worked hard to get to nationals and yes, arguably she was denied her earned right to go to the 2014 Olympics. The torn boot is just horrible to see a top competitor affected regardless of whether she skates tonite struggle with something that should not be an issue. Now if we analyze this situation it certainly not like she sabbatoged her self on purpose by say taking stitches out or on purposely sticking her blade into the skate. I admittedly don't have all the details but it sounds like though she and or her coach knew this was her back up skate and she was breaking in another pair of skates so they were aware of the vulnerability of the skate and that is a risk you take. still sad though to happen especially at nationals - I think I remember one skater using duct tape. The fact that we have technology and power to come up with possible custom solution is amazing. I can tell you this if I ripped my boot no repair person or manufacturer would be looking for a solution that quickly or care (have you seen my flying camel and you will understand why no one cares lol) I guess I don't understand why she didn't have a back up pair even if it was an older pair. I mean we aren't talking a casual skater here. But no matter what this is sad and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I love that they're showing Carly Gold's program on NBC!

I just realized...it does give them the feel-good story about the twins supporting each other. So it kind of makes sense for them to show her.

Oooh Mariah Bell now!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just realized...it does give them the feel-good story about the twins supporting each other. So it kind of makes sense for them to show her. ...

An interview with Carly (and Gracie) was scheduled to be on the Today show this morning. (I assume that it did air, but local weather coverage pre-empted Today for me.)

More of the Carly/Gracie interview is scheduled to air also on NBC Nightly News tonight.

I think it's great that Carly is getting attention.
As close as the twins are, it can't always be easy for Carly to be the "other" Gold.
Carly's love of skating must be very pure and strong for her to compete in the same sport in which Gracie has been so celebrated.
It reflects well on Carly that she achieved her dream of qualifying for Nats, and it reflects well on Gracie that she always shared and supported Carly's dream.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
An interview with Carly (and Gracie) was scheduled to be on the Today show this morning. (I assume that it did air, buy local weather coverage pre-empted Today for me.)

More of the Carly/Gracie interview is scheduled to air also on NBC Nightly News tonight.

I think it's great that Carly is getting attention.
As close as the twins are, it can't always be easy for Carly to be the "other" Gold.
Carly's love of skating must be very pure and strong for her to compete in the same sport in which Gracie has been so celebrated.
It reflects well on Carly that she achieved her dream of qualifying for Nats, and it reflects well on Gracie that she always shared and supported Carly's dream.

Definitely. I'm impressed that Carly's kept reaching for her dreams and finally made it to Nationals. And her skating is pretty cool. I'm glad she got to be shown. But part of me is cynical about why NBC chooses to show things.