Marilena Kitromilis | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Marilena Kitromilis

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
European Championships Senior Ladies FS: Results; Protocols
European Championships Senior Ladies: Results

No video uploaded yet 😞

Well, I said that being in a close group after the SP meant that Marilena could climb considerably up the order. And I am delighted to now be able to say that that is exactly what she did!

Marilena finished 10th out of 24 in the FS, with a score of 105.20. This meant that she climbed to 13th place overall, with a score of 158.91.

Here is what I wrote in the competition thread at the time:

Unfortunately, she fell on her third element, the Triple Loop.

And such a pity about the landing on the Double Lutz later on. She very nearly had it and, if it had, it would have been beautiful!

The rest of the programme was exactly that - beautiful.

Thank you, Chris, for recognising that she is a talent! :biggrin:

She opens up a 8.29 point lead in the FS, and a 10.91 point lead overall.

Suffice to say, she's delighted. :biggrin: (And such a lovely smile!)

:cheer: WELL DONE MARILENA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Looking through the protocols, in general there were more minuses than I was expecting to see.

Unsurprisingly, the Triple Loop was the most costly element. Not only did it get -5 from all the Judges, but it also got -2.45 in GOE. That's half of the Base Value gone! :eek:

The Duble Lutz I mentioned was the next costliest element in terms of Judges marks, getting one -1; one -2; six -3's; and one -4. However, in terms of GOE, it was only the fourth most costly element, getting -0.60.

Although I didn't spot it, she had problems with both of the Triple Flips that she did. The first one, which was done on it's own, didn't have a clear edge. It got -0.61 in GOE, and from the Judges got two 0's; four -1's; and three -2's. The second one, which was done at the start of a sequence of jumps which also included a Double Axel and a Double Toe, was landed on the quarter. it got -0.68 in GOE, and from the Judges got one 0; five -1's; and three -2's.

It is interesting to see how the Technical Panel and the Judges were viewing things differently.

Marilena finished the Free Skate 4.29 points behind 9th position, Nicole SCHOTT (DEU), and 1.18 points ahead of 11th position, Sofja STEPCENKO (LAT). Marilena was at the head of a group of 3 skaters that was completed by Julia SAUTER (ROU) in 12th position, who was 1.36 points behind Marilena.

Overall, Marilena finished 0.17 points behind 12th position, Olga MIKUTINA (AUT), and 0.81 points ahead of 14th position, Lindsay van ZUNDERT (NED). All three were part of a larger group where 8 skaters were covered by 5.44 points, stretching from Sauter in 10th position, 1.51 points ahead of Marilena, to Josefin TALJEGARD (SWE) in 17th position, 3.93 points behind Marilena.

This was a great result for Marilena. To get into the Top 10 of the Free Skate after being 18th in the Short Programme is a great achievement. And she was not far off getting into the Top 10 overall either.

I don't want to say it, but I have to - it was that weird fall on the Step Sequence in the SP that killed her chances of a Top 10 overall finish.

But, let's not dwell on that. Let's concentrate on how well she did to come back from it, achieving her third highest ever FS score to get her into the FS Top 10.

And let's also concentrate on the fact that she got to perform in the Gala!!! I haven't watched the Gala yet, as I haven't finished watching the Men and the Pairs and don't want to find out the results until I do. But, I am really looking forward to seeing what Marilena gives us.

All in all, I hope she is happy with her European Championships results. Because I am.

Oh, I can't wait for Worlds now!!!

But we don't have to wait that long to see her again, as she will be back in action in a few days time at the Bavarian Open in Obrstdorf.

:cheer: WELL DONE!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, I did say it wouldn't be long to wait for Marilena to be back in action. She is skating again today at the Bavarian Open.

That's the good news. The bad news is that you have to pay for the stream. So, I am concentrating on the Sofia Trophy this week.

The Senior Ladies SP is due to start today at 13:00:00 CET (07:00:00 EST / 12:00:00 GMT / 14:00:00 EET). So 6 hours from now.

Marilena will be the 11th skater to start. So, sixth and final skater to go in Group 2 (and final skater to go in the segment).

The Group 2 Warm-Up is due to start at 13:34:00 CET (07:34:00 EST / 12:34:00 GMT / 14:34:00 EET). So 6h 34m from now.

Marilena is due to start at 14:08:00 CET (08:08:00 EST / 13:08:00 GMT / 15:08:00 EET). So 7h 08m from now.

But, those times may change if somebody that is due on before her withdraws.

Here is the link for the livestream:
https://solidsport.com/bavarian-open/watch/saturday-session-1-senior-women-sp

Here is the Time Schedule:
http://www.deu-event.de/results/BAY/BO2023/FSKWSINGLES-----------QUAL000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

And here is the live scoring:
http://www.deu-event.de/results/BAY/BO2023/SEG003.htm

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST MARILENA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Bavarian Open Senior Ladies SP: Results; Protocols

No video uploaded yet 😞

Marilena finished 5th out of 11 in the SP, with a score of 50.31.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Marilena's SP, so this report is done purely from the Protocols.

Looking at the Protocols, the only issues were with her opening element, the Triple Flip. It was under-rotated, which got her a large negative GOE of -1.27; as well as -2 from Judge 4; and -3 from the other four Judges.

But, this was more than made up for by the Base Value of the following element, the Triple Lutz-Triple Toe combination. And it got positive GOE as well, at +0.39!

Most of her elements got Judges marks in the 0 to +2 range. After the opening element, she only got one -1, and that was from Judge 4 for her third element, the Change Foot Combination Spin. Incidentally, the other Judges marks for it were two 0's; and two +1's. The GOE was +0.10, the second lowest of the programme (not by much, though. The Flying Sit Spin got +0.09)

The only other element that got a mark outside this rance was the final element, the Layback Spin. This got a +3 from Judge 5. The other Judges marks for it were two +1's; and two +2's. It also got the second highest GOE of the programme, at +0.32.

The highest GOE was for her fifth element, the Step Sequence. It got +0.43. The Judges marks were 0 from Judge 1; +1 from Judge 4; and +2 from the three remaining Judges.

Marilena is currently 1.64 points behind 4th position, Julia SAUTER (ROU), and 3.11 points ahead of 6th position, Tara PRASAD (IND). Marilena is at the back of a group of 3 skaters headed by Ginevra NEGRELLO (ITA) in 3rd position, 1.84 points ahead of Marilena.

At 6.85 points ahead of Marilena, the leader, Marina PIREDDA (ITA), is probably out of reach. However, at 3.89 points ahead of Marilena, 2nd position, Kristina ISAEV (DEU), is within striking distance. As it stands, Prasad is the only skater that could possibly cause problems from behind.

All of which means that a good Free Skate could get Marilena a medal.

Oh, I hope she does! it would be a great achievement for both her and Stefania to win medals at the same event. And it would be fitting if they turned out to be the same colour, i.e. silver.

CaroLiza_fan

The Senior Ladies FS is due to start at 12:00:00 CET (06:00:00 EST / 11:00:00 GMT / 13:00:00 EET). So 5 hours from now.

Marilena will be the 7th skater to start. So, second skater in Group 2.

The Group 2 Warm-Up is due to start at 12:40:40 CET (06:40:40 EST / 11:40:40 GMT/ 13:40:40 EET). So 5h 40m from now.

Marilena is due to start at 12:54:00 CET (06:54:00 EST / 11:54:00 GMT/ 13:54:00 EET). So 5h 54m from now.

Here is the link for the livestream:
https://solidsport.com/bavarian-open/watch/sunday-session-1-senior-women-fs

http://www.deu-event.de/results/BAY/BO2023/FSKWSINGLES-----------FNL-000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

http://www.deu-event.de/results/BAY/BO2023/SEG004.htm

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
MARILENA WAS THIRD IN THE SENIOR LADIES FREE SKATE AND WON THE 🥉 BRONZE MEDAL!!!

Bavarian Open Senior Ladies FS: Results; Protocols
Bavarian Open Senior Ladies: Results

No video uploaded yet 😞

Well, I said after the SP that being at the back of a tight group of 3 skaters stretching up to 3rd position meant that Marilena could win a medal. And I am delighted to now be able to say that that is exactly what she did!

Marilena finished 3rd out of 24 in the FS, with a score of 100.94. This meant that she climbed to 3rd place overall, with a score of 151.25.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Marilena's FS, so this report is done purely from the Protocols.

She started off well, with the opening element, the Double Axel, getting the second highest GOE of the programme, at +0.66. It was also the element that got the highest Judges marks, and one of only two elements in the programme that got a +3 (both coming from Judge 5). The other Judges marks were +1 from Judge 3; and three +2's.

Unfortunately, this is where things started going wrong. Her second element was a Triple Lutz-Tripole Toe combination, and she fell. Presumably it was on the Triple Toe as, if it had been on the first part, she wouldn't have got doing the second part! This combination gave her the biggest GOE hit of the programme, at -2.95. And from the Judges, she got -4 from Judge 5, and -5 from the other four Judges. Fortunately, the Base Value being so big meant that it was nevertheless the second-highest scoring element of the programme.

The third element, the Triple Loop, was landed on the quarter. This meant that it got GOE of -0.82, and Judges marks of three -2's and two -1's. Apart from Judge 4 giving -1 for her Flying Change Foot Combination Spin and her Flying Sit Spin, these were the last minuses to appear in Marilena's Protocols.

After this, things largely went well. The only blip was that she singled her fifth element, the Flip jump. As a result, she got 0 in GOE; and 0 from all the Judges. In fact, this was the first of two elements where she got 0's all round, the other being the ninth element, the Double Salchow-Double Toe.

It was also the first of three elements that got 0 in GOE, the other being the seventh element, where she did a Triple Flip-Double Axel-Double Tow in sequence. But, the 0's didn't really matter, because this series of jumps had the highest Base Value of the programme, so it was still the highest scoring element of the programme.

The highest GOE of the programme came for the eighth element, the Triple Lutz. It got +0.79 in GOE which, when added to the Base Value, meant that it became the second highest scoring element of the programme. It was also the second and last element to get a +3, from Judge 5. The other Judges marks were three +1's; and +2 from Judge 4.

Marilena finished the Free Skate 2.83 points behind 2nd position, Kristina ISAEV (DEU), and 8.80 points ahead of 4th position, Ella CHEN (ISR).

Overall, Marilena finished 6.72 points behind 2nd position, Isaev, and 9.02 points ahead of 4th position, Ginevra NEGRELLO (ITA).

Admittedly, the withdrawal of Julia SAUTER (ROU), who had been 4th after the SP, helped, as she could have potentially scored more than Marilena in the FS. However, on the other hand, Julia was the middle skater in the group after the SP, and Marilena managed to leapfrog the skater that was leading the group. So, you could argue that Sauter's withdrawal didn't make any difference! That Marilena did it all by herself! ;) :biggrin:

Either way, it was a great result for Marilena. And a great event for the Cypriot team, with Marilena and Stefania both taking home medals.

In the past 3 events, Marilena has won two 🥉 Bronze Medals, and climbed considerably up the order in the event in between. This is just the sort of run that you want coming up to the World Championships!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Marilena will be competing at the World Championships in Saitama, Japan, tomorrow morning.

The Senior Ladies SP is due to start today at 15:50:00 JST (02:50:00 EST / 06:50:00 GMT / 08:50:00 EET). So 10 hours from now.

Marilena will be the 12th skater to start. So, first skater to go in Group 3 (and first to skate after the first resurfacing).

The Group 3 Warm-Up is due to start at 17:30:20 JST (04:30:20 EST / 08:30:20 GMT / 10:30:20 EET). So 11h 40m from now.

Marilena is due to start at 17:38:10 JST (04:38:10 EST / 08:38:10 GMT / 10:38:10 EET). So 11h 48m from now.

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the ISU YouTube Channel (starts in 10 hours from now):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgGv92n4SWI

Here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on the Eurosport website (starts in 9h 50m from now):
https://www.eurosport.com/figure-skating/saitama/_brdeurosport-e15212292c0ch2/video.shtml

Here is the link for the "No Advert" coverage on the Eurosport website (starts in 9h 41m from now):
https://www.eurosport.com/figure-sk..._brdeurosport-e100249751c0ch20071/video.shtml

Here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on Discovery+ UK (starts in 9h 50m from now):
https://www.discoveryplus.com/gb/vi...sport/world-championships-e1-coverage-4387931

Here is the link for the "No Advert" coverage on Discovery+ UK (starts in 9h 41m from now):
https://www.discoveryplus.com/gb/vi...dplus-sport-sport/world-championships-4462103

https://results.isu.org/results/season2223/wc2023/time0203.pdf

https://results.isu.org/results/season2223/wc2023/data0203.htm

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
World Championships Ladies SP: Results; Protocols

No video uploaded yet 😞

Marilena finished 31st out of 35 in the SP, with a score of 48.92.

Here is what I wrote in the competition thread at the time:

Wow! What a start! Those first few elements were amazing! :love: :love: :love:

But then a fall on the Axel. 😞

Fortunately the rest of it was beautiful too. :love: :love: :love:

That was the best I have seen Marilena skate for a while.

In my eyes, she should be the new leader. But, it all depends on how much they punish her for the Axel.

Smiles and waves from Marilena. Sergei looks serious, but then again he usually does. That said, he did do one of those hand heart things.

NINTH?! My goodness! I knew the Axel would be damaging, but I didn't think it would be that damaging.

No, I don't agree with that. At all. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't care. I thought she did well, so:

:cheer: WELL DONE MARILENA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

After I looked at the Protocols, everything made sense.

In my coment at the time, I said the first few elements were amazing. And the protocols agree for the first and third elements. The Triple Flip that opened the programme got +0.68 in GOE, and Judges marks of 0 from Judge 4; five +1's; and three +2's. Double Australian Ladies Champion (1973 Junior and 1980 Senior) Belinda Noonan in commentary described it as "very solid".

The thrid element, the Layback Spin, got lower GOE, at +0.45, but better Judges marks, with two +1's; six +2's; and +3 from Judge 2. Belinda didn't pass comment, but I thought it was devine.

To me, the element in between, the Triple Lutz-Triple Toe, looked devine too. But then Belinda commented "maybe they'll have a look at that landing". And, unfortunately, she was right - the second part was under-rotated. As a result, she got the biggest GOE hit of the programme at -1.18, and Judges marks of two -3's; five -2's; and to -1's. Fortunately, this combination had by far the highest Base Value of the programme, so it was actually the highest scoring element of the programme.

As I suspected, it was the fourth element, the Axel, that was the biggest problem. She had an awkward landing on her right foot, and fell, with a double hands down. Although Belinda actually pointed it out, what I didn't realise at the time was that Marilena didn't get around far enough before she fell for it to be classified as a Double Axel. Instead, it was classed as a Single Axel. And because skaters are expected to do better than a Single Axel in Senior skating, it was called as an invalid element.

As you may know from past comments, I do not agree with this being done. A Single Axel has a Base Value of 1.10 in lower levels of skating. So, for goodness sake, use this in Senior skating, and give them minus GOE and minus Judges marks. At least give the skater credit for attempting the jump, rather than treating it as if the jump wasn't there.

Sorry, I digress.

This mistake didn't faze her, because, as I said in my initial commment, the rest of her programme was beautiful. The Step Sequence that followed was just faultless. and the people that count liked it too. She got GOE of +0.42, and Judges marks of three 0's; +1 from Judge 5; and five +2's.

Marilena went from the Step Sequence effortlessly into a Flying Camel Spin, which looked great to me. She got GOE of +0.28, and Judges marks of 0 from Judge 3; and +1 from the remaining eight Judges.

The programme finished with a Change Foot Combination Spin. When I saw it live on the stream, I didn't notice anything wrong with it. And when I first looked at the protocols, I couldn't understand why it got -0.07 in GOE, and Judges marks of -2 from Judge 3; four -1's; three 0's; and +1 from Judge 5. However, when I watched it again when writing this post, it did look a bit messy when she was moving from one sit spin to the next. So, the lack of positive marks does make sense.

Marilena is currently 1.63 points behind 30th position, Anastasia GRACHEVA (MDA), and 1.63 points ahead of 32nd position, Eliška BŘEZINOVÁ (CZE). No, that is not a pasting error. The gap on either side of Marilena is eactly the same. 33rd position, Daša GRM (SVN), is 0.25 points behind Březinová, and 1.88 points behind Marilena.

Unfortunately, all of them have already finished their World Championship campaigns, as only the Top 24 go through to the Free Skate. Alexandra FEIGIN (BUL) was the last skater to qualify, and she was 5.73 points ahead of Marilena.

Nevertheless, if you ignore the Axel, it was a very good skate for Marilena. And although she will understandably be disappointed to not get doing her Free Skate, she should take comfort from just how good her performance of her Short Programme was.

If you take out the Axel from all the Short Programmes she has done this season, this World Championships SP actually has the highest TES of the season. Which really shows just how well she skated in Saitama.

All in all, I am taking this as a good sign. And I can't wait to see her in action again next season.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Typical! I write a greeting yesterday, and then realise that I was a day early. And then I forget to re-do it today until now. :palmf:

Haven't posted here in a while, because it has been a while since we last saw Marilena. But between now and the end of the month, we have a lot of birthdays within the Cypriot team. And we kick off today with Marilena's.

:cheer: HAPPY 19th BIRTHDAY MARILENA!!! :cheer:

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

I hope you are having an enjoyable day, and that the coming year is a good one for you, both on and off the ice.

I really hope it won't long until we see Marilena in action, because I for one have been really missing her.

Just over a week ago, Stefania posted a montage on Instagram showing her training and doing activities in Dubai, and Marilena was in quite a few of the still photos used (both on ice and off). I don't know if the photos were recent, but I hope they were. Because if Marilena is actually on the ice, then it is a good sign that she is not out of action through injury. That it is all just part of a plan for the season.

All the best!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As you know, we have not seen Marilena all season. There was a glimmer of hope when her name appeared on the Provisional Entry List for the final event of the Challenger Series, the Golden Spin Of Zagreb, at the start of December. But then it disappeared by the time the final Entry Lists came out.

I'm sure I was not the only one that was worrying about the prospect of her going into the European Championships without having done any competitions this season. And then even more worried when the Provisional Entry Lists for Euros were released, and she was not even on them.

Well, I contacted Marilena's mother a few days ago, and I was surprised and delighted when she actually passed me over to her daughter. This was the first time I had chatted with Marilena, and she really is as lovely as I thought she would be.

Anyway, Marilena explained what has been going on. Basically, the knee injury that she suffered last season is still bad. She tried everything she could to get into a position where she could be able to compete this season, but it was not to be. She is now going to have surgery on it shortly, which should hopefully sort it out once and for all. And she is looking forward to coming back next season.

As a fan, of course I miss her. But, I am glad that she is being sensible and is not trying to come back prematurely. Because when athletes do that, it usually makes matters worse.

I am really looking forward to seeing her when she does come back fully fit.

All the best with your surgery and subsequent recovery, Marilena.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
As you know, we have not seen Marilena all season. There was a glimmer of hope when her name appeared on the Provisional Entry List for the final event of the Challenger Series, the Golden Spin Of Zagreb, at the start of December. But then it disappeared by the time the final Entry Lists came out.

I'm sure I was not the only one that was worrying about the prospect of her going into the European Championships without having done any competitions this season. And then even more worried when the Provisional Entry Lists for Euros were released, and she was not even on them.

Well, I contacted Marilena's mother a few days ago, and I was surprised and delighted when she actually passed me over to her daughter. This was the first time I had chatted with Marilena, and she really is as lovely as I thought she would be.

Anyway, Marilena explained what has been going on. Basically, the knee injury that she suffered last season is still bad. She tried everything she could to get into a position where she could be able to compete this season, but it was not to be. She is now going to have surgery on it shortly, which should hopefully sort it out once and for all. And she is looking forward to coming back next season.

As a fan, of course I miss her. But, I am glad that she is being sensible and is not trying to come back prematurely. Because when athletes do that, it usually makes matters worse.

I am really looking forward to seeing her when she does come back fully fit.

All the best with your surgery and subsequent recovery, Marilena.

CaroLiza_fan
She is charming and accomplished…. And sensible as you say. Wishing her well and a speedy return to competition🩵😻