Mary Beth Marley updates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mary Beth Marley updates

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was wondering this as well. If/when Ashley Wagner gets interviewed by them, for example, how would she feel looking back at some of their earlier recaps and segments where they say not-so-complimentary things about her?

That's who I was thinking of. I feel they rag on her a lot beyond constructive criticism. I get the sense that neither of them think very highly of her. It's one thing to have preference and dislikes, but I just feel they do not give her the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hah! You make it seem like Jenny's a demure non-snarky person without him.

I didn't say nor mean to suggest that. Remember, I'm talking about on-screen PERSONA, not core personality here. If another co-host was much more laid back, would she take on a similar persona once the cameras begin rolling? I don't know.

I think all skaters have that inner diva that they're just dying to unleash.

Yeah, probably. I think so as well. If Twitter is any indication, anyway.

You're disappointed; I find it hilarious.

You're free to like it if you wish. Personally I can't stomach that type of cattiness. Feel like I just walked into a 5th grade gossip circle. I mean, it's not even so much what they say but HOW they say it that irks me.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's who I was thinking of. I feel they rag on her a lot beyond constructive criticism. I get the sense that neither of them think very highly of her. It's one thing to have preference and dislikes, but I just feel they do not give her the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

I remember some comments that Kirk made regarding Wagner, expressing disappointment with her at Worlds (which, FTR, I agree with)...I might even remember them being quite critical of Wagner in general, as if she just wasn't their cup of tea (which is fine). I just haven't bothered to watch any of their recent "this and that" stuff for reasons covered in earlier posts.

I mean, I have been critical of her too. But only of her recent strategy...I felt like she was capable of more than what she put out there. And I much prefer her as a "power" skater than as an "emotional" skater which I felt she was trying to be too much of the past one or two seasons. Then again, I might be different because I try not to get personal or make snarky comments about stuff. That's just my personal style. Maybe I am not TSL's intended audience and that is fine. Still, I think they need to be careful...for reasons I already outlined...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I didn't say nor mean to suggest that. Remember, I'm talking about on-screen PERSONA, not core personality here. If another co-host was much more laid back, would she take on a similar persona once the cameras begin rolling? I don't know.

Reading Jennifer Kirk's blogs, be it on her personal blog, on True Slant or during her stint with the Los Angeles Times, I always though that Jenny, for the most part, was quite thoughtful in what she had to say, even in her criticism of others.

For example in this blog about Sasha's possible non-comeback, she could have totally gone catty with all the "Sasha''s comeback is a farce" comments that was going around at the time. But she actually wrote a well-thought out post explaining why she thought a comeback may be difficult given her current injuries.

I think Jenny's thoughtful research shows in the interviews, but I think it would be nice if she showed more of it in the non-interview segments.

I remember some comments that Kirk made regarding Wagner, expressing disappointment with her at Worlds (which, FTR, I agree with)...I might even remember them being quite critical of Wagner in general, as if she just wasn't their cup of tea (which is fine). I just haven't bothered to watch any of their recent "this and that" stuff for reasons covered in earlier posts.

I mean, I have been critical of her too. But only of her recent strategy...I felt like she was capable of more than what she put out there. And I much prefer her as a "power" skater than as an "emotional" skater which I felt she was trying to be too much of the past one or two seasons. Then again, I might be different because I try not to get personal or make snarky comments about stuff. That's just my personal style. Maybe I am not TSL's intended audience and that is fine. Still, I think they need to be careful...for reasons I already outlined...

In one video, they were talking about All That Skate and when Ashley's performance came up, Jenny and Dave spent 10 seconds (I counted) doing nothing but laughing with each other in that "oh my gosh we have to talk about her now" kind of way. I felt their comments afterward were OK, i.e. she lacked it factor, why is she doing so many shows instead of training, etc, but that whole awkward intro rubbed me the wrong way. They should have just edited that out and went straight to the comments.

And as you pointed out, I think it's how they comment about Ashley that is somewhat bothersome. The comments come off as putting her down personally to me. I think there's a way of saying "Ashley Wagner ought to cancel her shows and go back to training" that's a little less snarky.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Yeah, sounds like something that should have been left on the editing room floor.

Actually, now that I think about it, the issue of Wagner "doing too many shows" was a topic that came up on the forums as well. Some worried that she was doing too many shows/traveling and not enough training...Personally I think she'll be fine.

gold12345

Medalist
I think a little snark is good and helps keep people's attention. The atmosphere of the interview setups is on the informal side, and that might help the skaters to be more relaxed and be more open in their responses. If you want typical, completely serious skating discussion and regular interview questions with canned responses, we have Icenetwork for that. I think The Skating Lesson has just the right amount of "laid back atmosphere" to it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think a little snark is good and helps keep people's attention. The atmosphere of the interview setups is on the informal side, and that might help the skaters to be more relaxed and be more open in their responses. If you want typical, completely serious skating discussion and interview questions with canned responses, we have Icenetwork for that.

We've already pointed out that the interviews aren't the issue. The problem is the non-interview segments where it's just the two of them commentating on stuff.

That said, I think there's a a big gap between completely PC/canned answers/objective and completely snarky/mean.

As I said, I don't mind a bit of constructive criticism or even well-intended trash talking (like what you may see on those commentary shows on ESPN). But the amount of ragging they do on certain skaters is bit overkill, in my opinion.

ETA: Given the fact that The Skating Lesson has come up on THREE different threads on these boards, it is clear that people find some value in their work, just disagree with some of the tactics used in some of the videos. I have enjoyed the interviews for the most part, myself. But yeah some of the other videos are a bit cringe worthy.

TheCzar

On the Ice
I think it is HILARIOUS that some people find TSL's 'snarkiness' to be offensive and unnecessar- given that most of the threads on GS end up being showdown forums between who's the best and who can dish out the best CoP based insult, and that's not even the tip of the iceberg. I think it is refreshing that both Jenny and Dave have the balls to serve it up real and verbalise what the rest of us happen to think also, and what some insist on splattering onto the boards of GS. Perfect example? The way Adam Rippon was suddenly blasted on here for mentioning the fact that Yu Na Kim rarely does a clean run through (from his perspective!). FFS, these people who insist on 'commenting' weren't even there! At least through TSL we get an insider's perspective not only on the interviewee but also the rest of the skating world.

The talk of gymnastics doesn't bother me at all. I guess it helps for other people who aren't all that sold on figure skating to have some sort of alternative analogy to hold on to? Plus, so what if they digress? It's not that big of a deal.

With that said, hold your breaths for their upcoming interview with Ashley Wagner.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Just finished watching the MBM interview. I thought it was incredibly brave of her to come on an talk about eating disorder and the role perfectionism (when taken to extremes) plays in an athlete's mind. I'm glad that she's recovering from everything. Jenny mentioned that MBM actually reached out to her after reading some of her eating disorder-related posts, so I'm glad that Jenny's posts have been helpful to at least one other skater. It's interesting to note that MBM's ordeal was also relatable to Dave, having suffered something along the lines of what she did when he was younger. Guess we learn something new about our interviewers every time they post a video up.

All in all, good interview, gained some new insight into things.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think it is HILARIOUS that some people find TSL's 'snarkiness' to be offensive and unnecessar- given that most of the threads on GS end up being showdown forums between who's the best and who can dish out the best CoP based insult, and that's not even the tip of the iceberg. I think it is refreshing that both Jenny and Dave have the balls to serve it up real and verbalise what the rest of us happen to think also, and what some insist on splattering onto the boards of GS. Perfect example? The way Adam Rippon was suddenly blasted on here for mentioning the fact that Yu Na Kim rarely does a clean run through (from his perspective!). FFS, these people who insist on 'commenting' weren't even there! At least through TSL we get an insider's perspective not only on the interviewee but also the rest of the skating world.

The major difference between TSL and an online Internet forum like GS is that TSL is attempting to become a "professional" news source for figure skating, as evidenced by their many interviews with skaters and their "exclusive updates" on who's doing what and where. The interviews, to be fair, are good--the one-on-one atmosphere is always comfortable and enlightening, although you have to wonder how some of the interviewees must feel about the often harsh criticism that Dave and/or Jenny have given them in other videos (Ashley Wagner, for example).

So, therefore, you can't really fault fans who watch the This & That podcasts expecting a good discussion only to come away with a deep and intimate knowledge of what Dave thinks about Miki Ando returning to skating with "lactating breasts." And joking in graphic detail about how Jason Brown could be the father? Come on. :sarcasm: It's fine if TSL wants to be a gossip source, and I'd probably still watch them to catch up on news, but they're barking up the wrong tree if they think they'll become a respected site through displaying catty behavior and clear biases against certain skaters.

R.D.

Record Breaker
On topic, I managed to find enough time to watch (most of) the MBM interview. Again, they asked some good questions and especially when the topic turned to the struggles, JKirk was right on it...she knew almost exactly the right questions to ask to get the most out of MBM, and without getting into intense detail, MBM gave some good insight. Can't be easy to discuss such issues especially on a public forum like that.

TSL can be good when it wants to be. My only criticism here is that they should have also posted a shortened version for those who don't have an hour plus to sit down and take it all in. Just a 5 or 8 min clip with key questions and key points highlighted would have been cool, IMHO

aftertherain

Record Breaker
On topic, I managed to find enough time to watch (most of) the MBM interview. Again, they asked some good questions and especially when the topic turned to the struggles, JKirk was right on it...she knew almost exactly the right questions to ask to get the most out of MBM, and without getting into intense detail, MBM gave some good insight. Can't be easy to discuss such issues especially on a public forum like that.

TSL can be good when it wants to be. My only criticism here is that they should have also posted a shortened version for those who don't have an hour plus to sit down and take it all in. Just a 5 or 8 min clip with key questions and key points highlighted would have been cool, IMHO

A lot of people have asked for audio-only podcasts, which I think they've made happen on iTunes. I'm sure if you contacted them directly through Facebook or email, they'd think about it. But they do have day jobs, and editing videos are really time-consuming, to have it in another format would take awhile.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That was a good interview. I think what made it good was the fact that MBM was so open about her experiences, good and bad. That was brave of her to share all that. She is quite well-spoken, especially in describing her struggles.

I agree, RD, Jenny did a good job in asking the right questions. As I mentioned in this post, I think Jenny is quite thoughtful in her writing and and in these interviews.

As for editing, I do think they could have edited that interview down a bit. I don't know if the interview was longer (like 2 hours) and they got it down to one hour or if the goal is to have sort of a stream of consciousness format. But editing does a lot of time, so maybe the stream way works best.

BlackPack

Medalist
The major difference between TSL and an online Internet forum like GS is that TSL is attempting to become a "professional" news source for figure skating, as evidenced by their many interviews with skaters and their "exclusive updates" on who's doing what and where. The interviews, to be fair, are good--the one-on-one atmosphere is always comfortable and enlightening, although you have to wonder how some of the interviewees must feel about the often harsh criticism that Dave and/or Jenny have given them in other videos (Ashley Wagner, for example).

So, therefore, you can't really fault fans who watch the This & That podcasts expecting a good discussion only to come away with a deep and intimate knowledge of what Dave thinks about Miki Ando returning to skating with "lactating breasts." And joking in graphic detail about how Jason Brown could be the father? Come on. :sarcasm: It's fine if TSL wants to be a gossip source, and I'd probably still watch them to catch up on news, but they're barking up the wrong tree if they think they'll become a respected site through displaying catty behavior and clear biases against certain skaters.

:thumbsup::yes:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I had been upset about it as well, as it felt to me like she had ruined Rockne's chance of ever making the Olympics, so I'm hoping to gain more understanding of the situation now after watching the interview.

I minded less about Rocknee's Oly dream (though I do feel bad for him on some level, of course) and more because I really believe that if they had been able to stay together, they could have gotten to a World-medalist level in a few years. I don't think they were the next coming of G&G (or for that matter that they could be as good as V/T or S/S) but I think that they easily could have been as good as MTM or D/R given time to develop.

I have watched most of the interview. I think she is brave for giving it, and it makes me sad. I do hope she will find happiness and success in skating in the future, whether as a coach or competitor, since it seems she really does love the sport.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Great interview, and I give Mary Beth a lot of credit for speaking publicly about it, which can't be easy. The confusion and uncertainty and weirdness of those years when you're a 14-, 15-, 16-year old girl is daunting. You're dealing with so many changes, both physical and mental, and it's not easy even when you're a "civilian", so to speak. Throw in the pressures of competing as a world-class athlete, and it's a wonder most skaters come through it as well as they do. I am sad for Mary Beth that she had to go through what she did. It is heartwarming to see her speak so positively about where she is now. I wish her all the best. I would love to see her back competing, but only if it's the right thing for her. If it threatens her recovery, better to stay on the sidelines . . . Health comes first.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Watching old pals compete bittersweet for Marley
Resilient teen coaches and choreographs, ponders return to the ice

By Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com
(07/27/2013)
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130727&content_id=54942766&vkey=ice_news

Excerpts:
"I honestly don't think I'm finished [with skating], not at all." ...
Marley is at Skate Detroit working as an assistant coach to Mary Alice Antensteiner, who teaches in Marley's hometown of Chicago. Marley's also working in Chicago as a choreographer, and created a short program for one of Antensteiner's top students, novice contender Paige Rydberg. ....
"I struggled with an eating disorder for a long, long time," [Marley] said. "I finally had to stop skating for a while."
Despite the success she and Brubaker enjoyed, Marley doesn't regret her decision to take a break from the sport. ....
"If the route is there, I would love to do pairs," she said. "If I'm able to get in the right place and get ready, I would definitely want that. I found that out here, watching this competition.
"I feel like I'm not finished. I have other things to do."​

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I just saw this too. It sounds like Mary Beth is getting more committed to coming back. As long as this is a good thing--something she's really thought through and discussed with her parents and therapists--I think it's great. The good thing is, she probably has a strong support team in place now to help her through any struggles she might face in returning to pairs. And that's important, because I think recovery from an eating disorder is a gradual thing--it happens over time and days and years, not overnight.

My heart is with this girl, and I really hope she can find another partner and continue. I am curious--do people think potential partners would be concerned about her history, or not so much?? She has a lot to offer: world-level pairs experience, good jumps, good work ethic, perfect height & size for a pairs skater.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was looking back at some of ‏@mbmarley19's older tweets, and found these optimistic comments (my emphasis added) from her in response to a supportive tweet from someone else:
awww thank you so much and i hope to be back on the ice competing soon. So don't worry!!!!
4:31 AM - 10 Jul 13
https://twitter.com/mbmarley19/status/354925951144042497