Matvei's IG stories

Sv3V-owfsFE.jpg

L7R4g8w9UDw.jpg

Reactions: LRK

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Matvei is back! I didn't expect him to compete, honestly.

He kept last season's Waltz No.2 SP, as he said in the summer interview. In the same interview he promised 'something oriental' FS, but in the end his new FS is The Godfather. And they apparently had time to work on it, it doesn't look raw.

Of course, he hasn't recovered his quads yet. He marked 4T in the free. But the 3As were good and rotated, he used to have problems with them. Now he has different 3F and 3Lz technique, he wasn't doing them last season. He did 3Lz+3Lo in the short, but both jumps were called q. He had 8 triples in the free, the only jump with a negative GOE is a 3F with a step-out.

Matvei is almost a lock for his first Senior Nats.

Here's what he said after the competition:

To the fans of the Samara sports complex, thank you! For the first time in my life yesterday and today I heard ovation after my performance. Before that you could call it applause, and the support they gave during the skate... It compensated for the lack of strength due to lack of preparedness.

Lack of preparedness means that I underwent a surgery in summer. When junior test skates were taking place, I were dreaming of getting back on ice. When senior test skates were taking place, I would really like to be able to go to ice without foot pain, at least on elements such as a bracket and a choctaw.

When first and second stages were taking place, I was hoping that my foot would stop hurting during spins. When third and fourth stages were taking place, I started doing jumps. That was it, I had three weeks. So it is a lack of preparedness.

A local dream is to come back, to show myself again during a skate, to show a new program that we have been working on for a long time - on the music choice, the choreography - with Kirill Aleshin and Elizaveta Navislavskaya, and then with a brilliant improvements by Tatiana Prokofieva. And in general, this is all a genius idea by Alexei Mishin. This local dream came true for me today and yesterday.

SP: https://youtu.be/O-mC6c9dDP8
FS: https://youtu.be/tLB5r3-P5EY

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I was wondering if the music cover during the step sequence was supposed to be the 'oriental' part? There is some sort of bowed string instrument playing the main melody. It could just be violin, but it sounds a bit like an erhu (Chinese fiddle) to my ears. Or maybe I'm just imagining an explanation there... 😅

Although I'm not a technical expert, it looks like Matvei is getting into the rotational position faster on the flip and lutz. I'm guessing that's Mishin's work? Also he used to take a really deep power pull entering the lutz, and would swing his arms around a lot on takeoff, but now his entry looks a bit less wild. It's not easy to change fundamental jumping technique in adulthood, good on him for trying.

I feel the programmes are a little more restrained in between elements compared to before (e.g. Per Te) but if it helps with consistency then I'm on board with it. Glad to see his skating skills and musicality still shining through as strong as ever in the step/choreo sequences.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Matvei has made it to his first senior nationals!

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to do everything. He caught a cold be the competition. Plus, lack of preparedness, and also he had to do two stages in a row in different time zones.

I want to point out how consistent his 3A has become. All 4 attempts are clean and fully rotated.

SP: https://youtu.be/cJmJVLZoXYE
FS: https://youtu.be/D1yrS3MqG5c

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I was wondering if the music cover during the step sequence was supposed to be the 'oriental' part?
Turns out it was indeed!

Google-translated from this article:
And they found three compositions, the last one also has notes of the east. I call it “oriental rock”, so part of my desire came true, it is present in the free program.

LRK

Record Breaker
Matvei's SP from Nationals: