Max Aaron | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well my first thought was, it worked for Ashley Wagner.

My second thought was how happy I am that he seems to be sticking around.

My third was how much I respect him for starting at it so soon. Good for him.

As for the choice, I have said before, with Max I just want to see him enjoy it. He can skate to the HampsterDance Music if he smiles while he does it and has fun.

Thx for your great post, Stitch. :)

:agree: Agree that Max's own enjoyment of his programs is what matters above all.

Another thought is that Phillip Mills has been the choreographer for other TZ skaters, so Max presumably has had a chance to observe him in action -- and must have felt optimistic that they would be a good match.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:think: Inquiring minds wonder whether this tweet could be reliable. Whaddya think, karne?

Well, this has thrown me into a flutter and no mistake.

First, I usually take what TSL says with a grain of salt, especially since their favourite sport this season seemed to be Max-kicking, but on these matters they're usually fairly reliable.

Second, I have confess that, extremely selfishly, I wanted to see Gladiator for another year. I just really feel that with another year's work, and a little choreographic gap-filling here and there, an already awesome program could have become great.

Third: well, I will hold over my reservations about the music selection. I'm not sure if it's the score from the movie, or if it's Tchaikovsky's original ballet piece, but there is a great risk here of the music being too slow for him - unless, I wonder, if that's the intention, slow him down, give him breathing room, fill in the choreo a little more...hmm.

But my expectations for Footloose this season have taught me not to judge the music too soon!

(I wonder if this is the piece he was referring to when he mentioned in the Social Scene piece that he "already knew" what he wanted to skate to next season?)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Thx for your great post, Stitch. :)

:agree: Agree that Max's own enjoyment of his programs is what matters above all.

Another thought is that Phillip Mills has been the choreographer for other TZ skaters, so Max presumably has had a chance to observe him in action -- and must have felt optimistic that they would be a good match.

Great point on seeing in action, I think that could be very valuable to Max!

Well, this has thrown me into a flutter and no mistake.

First, I usually take what TSL says with a grain of salt, especially since their favourite sport this season seemed to be Max-kicking, but on these matters they're usually fairly reliable.

Second, I have confess that, extremely selfishly, I wanted to see Gladiator for another year. I just really feel that with another year's work, and a little choreographic gap-filling here and there, an already awesome program could have become great.

Third: well, I will hold over my reservations about the music selection. I'm not sure if it's the score from the movie, or if it's Tchaikovsky's original ballet piece, but there is a great risk here of the music being too slow for him - unless, I wonder, if that's the intention, slow him down, give him breathing room, fill in the choreo a little more...hmm.

But my expectations for Footloose this season have taught me not to judge the music too soon!

(I wonder if this is the piece he was referring to when he mentioned in the Social Scene piece that he "already knew" what he wanted to skate to next season?)

1. They likely heard it from somewhere fair to repeat it is my guess. This is not like their opinions after all, gossipy people look bad if the gossip is wrong.

2. I actually feel a little bit the same way about Gladiator. I like it, I think it works for him, but I also can see why he may feel like he needs to change it. This season did not work well for Max, so I can understand the change.

I would not be surprised at all if this is what he was talking about.

I, as always, wish him the best.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thx for the pic, karne.
[p.s. :agree: Max's smile and hair look very nice.
But I think it's just the same standard-issue waiter's jacket that other celebs also are wearing for the event -- not one of Max's own studly ;) suits.]

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is TZ making a hint? (Or even more than one??) Or none at all??? :confused2: :think:

Oh my god. I'm torn between "no!" and "yes!".

I think it's a hint. Hopefully it's a show program hint. I don't know...I think Max doing Michael Jackson could be fun, but I also thought Footloose could have been perfect, and that was messed up. Although...the more I think about it, the more I like the prospect.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I think it's a hint. Hopefully it's a show program hint. I don't know...I think Max doing Michael Jackson could be fun, but I also thought Footloose could have been perfect, and that was messed up. Although...the more I think about it, the more I like the prospect.

Michael Jackson has an extensive catalog, I'm sure he can find something that he likes more than Footloose.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I would be perfectly happy with a Michael Jackson number from Max.

MJ music might be cool for Max.

Hmmm ... how casually TZ made a reference to MJ's hypothetical mastery of a quad lutz ... :think:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
MJ music might be cool for Max.
And how casually TZ made a reference to MJ's hypothetical mastery of a quad lutz ...

Am I a terrible person if the first thing I thought was "oh god, if Max hits a clean 4Lz in competition before Rippon does, Rippon's going to explode."

I think yes.

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea. Now I'm just worrying about the costume :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Am I a terrible person if the first thing I thought was "oh god, if Max hits a clean 4Lz in competition before Rippon does, Rippon's going to explode."

I think yes.

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea. Now I'm just worrying about the costume :laugh:

I was reading back in this thread, and I imagine it's going to be a long while before we have confirmation of anything.

Team Max has not confirmed the TSL thing re Black Swan and Phillip Mills. So as you said above, we should take that with a grain of salt. :yes:

And I suppose even hinting from TZ calls for more grains of salt. :)

Meanwhile, all I can think about Adam right now is that his warmth to Max on the Greensboro podium was so lovely. So for now, I will just hold onto that memory of their great friendship :love: and not worry about whose jumping will or will not lead to anyone else's exploding ...

(But no, you are not a terrible person. ;))

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have just looked at the photo again and realised what the Lutz comments were alluding to. That's the moment that was captured, Max's Lutz takeoff - he's picked in, he's on the outside edge with his left foot, and he's in the process of weight transfer and the upwards spring. And it does look like that Michael Jackson moment.

But still, a Michael Jackson short would be fun.

charmblade

Final Flight

You know, I was just thinking about this. When I heard Max was doing Footloose it seemed like a really great choice for him, but something about the program really doesn't do it for me. I think part of it is the costume, why isn't he in a white t-shirt and jeans-type trousers? (Full disclosure: I haven't actually seen Footloose, but that's the mental image I have for it) Part of it is the choreography too, there are several moments when he seems sort of....lost...and just skating around, but that appears to be part of the choreography. :shrug: But I still love Max and I do love the Gladiator program so at least he has one good one this year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As long as Max likes the program and lets loose on the program. I would have thought Footloose would have been perfect for him, just go with the "Kevin Bacon gets goofy" and go fast and jump large vibe, but it didn't work. (more so in Max's mind, to see how he said he didn't like the song). And if he uses MJ (and I'm all for MJ), he will still need to *like* it. Fingers crossed.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Costuming Footloose was always going to be difficult, because there are only really two iconic clothing moments for Ren: the warehouse scene in the wifebeater and sweats, and the prom scene in the maroon dinner jacket. I thought the first attempt was all right (and I'll never forget someone's PBP comment from SkCan (I think) where they said, "everyone in this warmup looks like they're going to a dinner party, but at least Max looks like he got some after the party" :laugh: ). The second one was a bit mind-boggling, but they had to ditch the untied bow-tie look because the new one was "country". (Shudder.)

As to the choreo (and the appalling first cut of the Kenny Loggins version), don't get me started, sigh.

I think the first basic question, when they're trying to figure out music, is to sit down and ask, "So Max, tell me honestly. What's the music you put on when you're at home alone, and no-one's watching, and you're grooving around your kitchen/housework/stretching/whatever?"

I remember he said he loved Daft Punk in an interview once. They can't really go back to Tron, but something else Daft Punk, maybe? I'm not familiar with their music.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Max :yay:! So exciting that he is going to WTT!

I have just looked at the photo again and realised what the Lutz comments were alluding to. That's the moment that was captured, Max's Lutz takeoff - he's picked in, he's on the outside edge with his left foot, and he's in the process of weight transfer and the upwards spring. And it does look like that Michael Jackson moment.

But still, a Michael Jackson short would be fun.

I think you're right that the Michael Jackson photo had nothing to do with any program music for Max. Sorry for my musing after TZ's Instagram.

The same side-by-side photos (MJ and Max) are in a new video from TZ today about lutz technique. He talks about the "Michael Jackson moment" (starting at approx. 1:49):

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think you're right that the Michael Jackson photo had nothing to do with any program music for Max. Sorry for my musing after TZ's Instagram.

The same side-by-side photos (MJ and Max) are in a new video from TZ today about lutz technique. He talks about the "Michael Jackson moment" (starting at approx. 1:49):

No, that's okay. It was fun to speculate.

brb, learning Lutz technique.

I don't normally like Tom Z all that much, but props to him for doing his own demos. :D

Hooray for a safe space to be happy for Max's WTT selection, without the moans of "but Adam".