Meissner Article/Video | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Meissner Article/Video

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Kimmie needs a "WOW" movie somewhere in the second half of her program and she simply doesn't have one.

yeah. She dosen't have anything special. She had the triple axel, but she is not even talking about that anymore.

the feeling begins and nessun dorma.:p i feel ill.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
*shrugs* no different than music choices from the other ladies past present and future

nice to see you posting again, RD! Quit being a stranger lol

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Thanks for the post, Red Dog. Now I can't wait for Skate America. It will be interesting to see how far along her Nessum Dorme program is.

I wonder if Michelle has really taken Kimmie under her wing, or if these quotes are just generic stuff that Michelle might say about any skater.

SA seems to have a lot of ladies who (probably) won't be at their best -- not only Kimmie (due to the recent program change); and Emily (just started Harvard, I think), but also Mai Asada (an evacuee from the Lake Arrowhead wildfires).

I doubt that Michelle is taking Kimmie under her wing, either -- unless Caroline Zhang has changed rinks. Seriously, I think there is a big difference between mentoring and merely keeping in touch by e-mail.

dewey

Rinkside
Quick reminder - Pavarotti performed Nessum Dorma at the opening ceremonies in Turin.

Also, I like Kimmie immensely, but she doesn't strike me as terribly imaginative when it comes to music and artistic expression.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
IMHO

I could care LESS what a skater chooses to skate to. Seriously.

If Kimmie feels she can do it justice, let her take the shot. I would think she understands that in taking that shot, she will naturally be compared to others who chose that piece. That's her call. And props to her if she wants to "stretch" herself out.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
IMHO

I could care LESS what a skater chooses to skate to. Seriously.

If Kimmie feels she can do it justice, let her take the shot. I would think she understands that in taking that shot, she will naturally be compared to others who chose that piece. That's her call. And props to her if she wants to "stretch" herself out.

this is a cool article too, if you have an account with latimes.com. Btw, I wonder what kind of "personal problems" have set her back of late...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olymp...-headlines-sports-olympics&ctrack=2&cset=true

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Here's an excerpt from the article:
Kimmie Meissner, the 2006 world champion, had the biggest letdown. Her entire 2007 season was inconsistent, and she wound up a lackluster fourth at worlds.

"Coming in on top, last year was difficult for me," Meissner said via telephone Thursday.

This season, which Meissner debuts at Skate America, has been complicated by personal problems she declined to detail and a switch in her long program to that old skating war horse, Puccini's "Nessun Dorma," only a month ago.

Meissner will be testing it against a strong Skate America field, including reigning world champion Miki Ando of Japan, U.S. runner-up Emily Hughes and the latest U.S. phenom, 14-year-old Caroline Zhang, the reigning world junior champion. Zhang is making her senior Grand Prix debut.

"There is always a lot of competition in the U.S., but I think I bring some pretty good skating to the table," Meissner said.

Meissner's plate is almost as full as last year, when she was a high school senior.

She still lives with her parents in Maryland and commutes to her training rink at the University of Delaware -- sometimes in her new BMW 325. Meissner, a freshman at Delaware, is taking nine course hours, in English, philosophy and psychology.

"It's so much harder than high school," she said.

Like her sport, Meissner is trying to get a grip on a new reality.

Last edited:

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Kimmie in a new BMW 325? Wow, you go Girl!

Red Dog - Not that I'm trying to attain your official title "The Skeptic", but -

MK is guiding Kimmie? For Pete's sake, can't you say anything positive about Kimmie's prospects for this season? :laugh::biggrin: