Men - Final Results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men - Final Results

mike79

On the Ice
It wasn't just the jumps that Plushenko messed up, he almost fell on his final spin! It was hard to watch him skate so badly but I hope he gets that knee worked on. His Nijinski program is simply amazing.

Congrats to Joubert. A deserving win although that program is terrible. Could there be any more two-foot skating and almost zero choreography? I think he's a better skater than this program let's him be.

Always nice to see Klimkin perform well. I hope he does well at Worlds.

shine

Record Breaker
Lambiel was ROBBED. Behind Plushenko? Behind Dambier? ROBBED. Crooked 6.0 judging.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
mike79 said:
A deserving win although that program is terrible. Could there be any more two-foot skating and almost zero choreography? I think he's a better skater than this program let's him be.

The only time I saw the program was at Lalique (I believe). I remember liking it. Hmmm...

Plush falling on a spin??? I can understand jumps with the knee, but a spin? Did his head get to the best of him?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well, in my opinion Plushy needs to do the surgery now and he definetely should not participate in Worlds.... It has been a mistake to wait with the surgery so long. Anyway, he is a fighter, did his best, and I admire him for being such a very graceful silver medalist. I don´t see that there was any reason for any meltdowns, because Joubert was beatable (he did not do a triple axel in combination and his presentation marks were not that high).

There were many really enjoyable performances in the freeskate. Especially I enjoed the performances (in skating order) of Zelenka, Djordjevic, van der Perren, Davidov, Verner and Lambiel.

I´m glad for the new European Champion! It is great to have a French one for a change, LOL. After 1983 event (won by the German Norbert Schramm) the winners have been either Russian (Fadeev, Kulik, Urmanov, Yagudin and Plushenko), Ukrainians (Petrenko and Zagorodniuk) or Czek (Barna and Sabovcik) skaters.

Marjaana

Last edited:

diver chick

On the Ice
I was really glad for Brian - he went out there and skated a fabulous program. One thing that really struck me about his performance this year is I started to see less Alexei and Nikolai and more Brian. He is starting to make his own mark on his programs and that is a good thing.

I am not a fan of Plushenko's but I felt desperately sorry for him last night. One comment by Nicky Slater during his performance was 'something is missing tonight, it is almost as if he is making this program up as he goes along' and I felt that really hit the nail on the head. When he popped that first axel he put so much pressure on himself to get one in there that he sacrificed the quality of the performance. The last time I have seen Plush skate like that is in Paris a few years ago, when he self-destructed in the FP. For what-ever reason Plush was just not himself on the ice last night. My own opinion is that it was a combination of the knee injury, pressure to perform and perhaps a little nerves.

shine said:
Lambiel was ROBBED. Behind Plushenko? Behind Dambier? ROBBED. Crooked 6.0 judging.

I haven't seen the competition yet. I am afraid Stephane will not be shown . Drats! I knew Plush would be held up. Let's face it, the Russian Federation has more pull than the Swiss.

Who's in the K&C with Joubert?

Joe

Matt

On the Ice
I just download the free skate of Dambier on my computer, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by his program.

First off, the music is "Moulin Rouge" (really good movie). Secondly, there is a fair amount of actually choreography in his skating, and it compliments and goes with the music. Dambier, IMHO, has always had kind of a wild, weird, French, gesture-filled style (somewhat similar to Lysacek), but it was toned down and refined a lot more that what you normally see of him. But his jumps were consistent, and that is the big hurdle for Dambier , so to put out two clean programs and get a 4th place at Euros is huge for him (I can't remember what he got last year at Euros). I think it also say something for the French, after the days of Candeloro, to have two French skaters that can pull top ranks

A la gloire de France, I suppose!

onlyone

Spectator
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Evdokia
Actually most times he won over Jagudin, he either skated first or knew, that it would be more difficult for Yagudin to beat him

You know this trend is now actively discussed on Russian forums and in Russian press. All of them see that there is definitely a kind of psychological problem, which enables Plushenko to skate great after successful performance of his main opponent. This time Plush was truly terrible. His falls, attempts to jump axel (fall, than 1A, than clean 3A in combination, than later one more 3A), mistake on a final spin, neutral presentation…
Congratulations to Joubert. Right time, right place. It’s like “Do not miss your chance to blow, cause opportunity comes ones in a lifetime”. I like his SP, but LP really need more emotions and movements – sometimes it looks like he needs to be reloaded :)
Lambiel is genius, but unfortunately not stable. He did great job in LP and his hands… and his spins.. oh…terrific.
I never liked Dambier, but this time he was verrrry good. Terrible costumes, though.
Gryazev was a fighter. After his failure in SP Tarasova behaved as if she didn’t know him at all. After great aggressive LP Tarasova behaved as if he was a lost son finally found.
Never liked Klimkin. But truly respect him after Euros. He made an attempt to catch the gold. But poor music, IMHO.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
well, plushy says it's not his knee... but then again, maybe he just doesn't want to use it as an excuse? for whatever reason, i believe he'll come out swinging at worlds. he's lost the grand prix finals this season to sandhu and europeans to joubert. how can one have more motivation to win going into worlds than he does? believe me, it'll be all the more sweet to step on the top of the podium after struggling hard all season. if plush skates at worlds like he did at russian nationals... well, he'll win hands down. he's a fighter and there's no one with as much natural talent in their skating than plush! he'll prevail cause competitions never stop and he's vowed to go the distance. i'll be rooting for 'the champion' all the way...

Evdokia

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I haven't seen the competition yet. I am afraid Stephane will not be shown . Drats! I knew Plush would be held up. Let's face it, the Russian Federation has more pull than the Swiss.

Why is it always the Russians which are deemed to be held up? One might argue that Lambiel should have been in front of Dambier in the Free - so you could say the same of French Fed. And anyone heard that the French FS Fed protested against the Men's LP results as they think Dambier should have gotten a medal? Look here:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/69834/1/.html). So it seems that French fed does not only have more influence than the Swiss one, but even as much power as the Russian one.;)

And BTW, yes there were times, when Russian skaters had been held up, like Plushenko yesterday, but the same happened not only to Russian skaters, but also to highly decorated American and Canadian skaters in the past and sometimes to the disadvantage of the Russian ones. :rolleye:

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

Joe

plush has never been held up in any competition he's won. he's always won fair and square. name one. at worlds last year he deservedly got all first place ordinals over tim. i would put both sandhu and joubert over tim at worlds last year had they skated up to par.

and what's this about the russian fed. having more pull..? i believe you go too far. it can be said that the u.s. and canadian skating fed. have more pull and are just as biased if not more so for their skaters. do you know how popular plush is in russia? he's like their michelle kwan... and then some. there have been even more articles and interviews on plush in russian than i've seen on kwan here in the states. it's amazing. :laugh:

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i think we're on the same page evdokia, lol! there's no excuse for bashing russian fed. when the other countries have been doing exactly the same things... is it b/c of the dominance that russia used to have in figure skating that's forcing some people to make such accusations? they still have the top male and ice skaters though... and perhaps can win in pairs too this season..:p (sigh) let's just stop with all this ethnocentrism and enjoy the skaters for what they do on the ice and only for that glaring reason.:rolleye:

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i don't know if plush was held up yesterday as i haven't seen the comp. yet. being an american, i don't get that luxury during the european championships.

looks like the french fed. better have some clout to back up their screaming 'foul'.... hope to see they have a good reason when i watch the comp. on t.v. later this month.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

Hard to know, without seeing it, but it might have been his coach, Laurent Deopuilly, who as you may know, was a European/World level skater for France in the early to mid 80s.

Kasey

Medalist
Per reports, Plush fell twice, popped another jump, and was shaky in other elements throughout the program. Yet still, his technical marks went up to 5.8s, and his presentation even included a 5.9. It does not sound like a 5.8/5.9 kind of program, especially with several people saying it seemed like he was making it up as he went along. To ME, those marks are indeed being "held up" by reputation. Don't get me wrong, it's happened with some of my favorites too, to their advantage or to their disadvantage. But to not be accepting of that opinion from other people, and to tell other people that they are just "wrong" or whatever, in my mind, that's just being closeminded and more fanatical than a fan. Yeah, we all have our favorites, and all our favorites screw up at times, whether on the ice or off of it. A mature person can accept that.

Kasey

gkelly

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
Per reports, Plush fell twice, popped another jump, and was shaky in other elements throughout the program. Yet still, his technical marks went up to 5.8s, and his presentation even included a 5.9. It does not sound like a 5.8/5.9 kind of program,

Of course, with the interim system way of displaying marks, we don't know that any judge did give him 5.8/5.9. Maybe one gave him 5.8/5.6 and another gave him 5.6/5.9.

Thanks JohnnyCoop for the information. I was not near any news of figure skating during that period. I was just wondering if TT or Yags were there in the K&C

Edvokia and Gracefulswan. Much apologies for blaming what I think maybe a 'hold-up' of Plush by the Russian Federationl. I'll wait till I see the TV version of the skate. Hopefully, I'll get to see Stephane, too.

My citing any skater as being held up is not one of bias. I remember the Short Program of Plush at the 2002 Olys which was rather messy and I thought others had done better but did not get the marks he did. I also think that in one of the Euros, Abt should have won, and a messy Yags did. In US Nats I think MK was held up over SC, in 2000. These are my personal takes on seeing a competition and are certainly debateable. There reqally aren't that many, and they are not always Russian skaters.

How powerful the Federations (any of them) are in Figure Skating is a moot debate. Those who know are not about to say anything.

I lopk forward to seeing Plush at this year's Euros on TV.

Joe

curious

Final Flight
Well,you should go to fsu and see what the french fed is demanding now. They don't want brian's place at world to be messed up,and this because he won one uropean championship. are we going to see brian held up in comps if he skates bad from now on?