Men - Free Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men - Free Program

The Little Zebra has been around since he almost won over Brian in Euros 2002
He had a first rate Qualif Rd in 2003 Worlds. Although the knee bothered him since then, he managed to skate well when he did. He is what I call a seasoned skater. He had an off day and anyone here not have one?

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Lambiel received a gift, but blame it on the competition- Takahashi and Weir (both are my big faves) who blew a 14 and 12 point SP lead respectively. I am not surprised by Takahashi's inconsistency, but I am by Weir's.
In his post-performance interview on Canadian TV, Lambiel said that he had to thank the other competitors for his win. He also said that he wanted to win the next competition with strong skates.

rain

Record Breaker
OMG !!!! Weir's look ...
He may be a wonderful skater, I really think he's getting more and more ridiculous.

Yes. Weir did look utterly ridiculous. He made everyone else look tasteful. He looks like some kind of hippie. He didn't skate well either. He didn't look especially interested in winning. His spins were slow, his speed in general was slow, and he clearly didn't make the most of his jump opportunities. He was fortunate to keep a spot on the podium.

In the whole debate about people coming to see Lambiel....quite frankly, I think many of the people in the audience didn't know who he was. I had to tell the women sitting beside me that he was the world champion. In spite of the problems, his performance was one of the most impressive. I found the men's competition to be the most disappointing of the Skate Canada events I attended. Looked like a lot of early season rust.

I also disliked many of the music selections. We had the very unfortunate situation of two back-to-back Phantom of the Operas from Takahashi and Cipheur (who was a highlight of the event as an up and coming face). Then there was an abundance of monotonous beat-driven rather than melody driven music that ranged from unfriendly esoteric to almost elevator.

Shawn Sawyer had one of the most impressive performances, and I would have had him in third spot. That said, in spite of choreography that was very clever, his was one of the music selections I didn't find very friendly.

rain

Record Breaker
I understand that Weir doesn't want to conform blah, blah, blah. But he's now moving into off-putting and seeming arrogant rather than a determined free spirit. Between the hair and that AWFUL headband and the floaty fabric costume he made Lambiel's terrible zebra tiger thing look positively chic.

Johnny's costume is more Nero/Caligula than Jesus, IMHO. But maybe the headband is a crown of thorns.

I think he looked like a wayward vestal virgin from some DeMille movie. There is a resemblance to Elizabeth Taylor. Do you see it?

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
I think he looked like a wayward vestal virgin from some DeMille movie. There is a resemblance to Elizabeth Taylor. Do you see it?

Joe

OMG that is the funnies thing I have heard today (and I've been laughing a lot today)...and yes, I think I see the resemblance now :laugh:

psycho

On the Ice
I understand that Weir doesn't want to conform blah, blah, blah. But he's now moving into off-putting and seeming arrogant rather than a determined free spirit. Between the hair and that AWFUL headband and the floaty fabric costume he made Lambiel's terrible zebra tiger thing look positively chic.

How does an ugly costume seem arrogant? I can't say I love the costume, it reminds me of pajamas, but I don't find it so off-putting either. I mean, sure, sometimes it's fun to rag on some unfortunate outfits (Scott Smith's fake tatoos come to mind) but it's not like they are so disgusting that it is off-putting.
And I like Stephane's zebra, it's cute.