Mens event at Nationals. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mens event at Nationals.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Has Rohene had any GP assignments?
Rohene Ward has only had two international assignments in his career -- he won a silver medal at 2001 Triglav Trophy as a junior and finished 8th at Vienna Cup (Karl Schaefer Memorial) in October 2002 (where he was invited to skate in the exhibition that Joesitz so enjoyed watching on youtube. ;)). If anyone is interested in learning more about Rohene, here's the link to the thread about his new official site in the Announcements forum: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19001

I feel like I'm missing something here.

To be honest, I've never paid much attention. He must be doing some pretty amazing things of late.
You're not "missing anything" if all you've seen of Rohene's skating is the 3 times he's been on TV during Nationals (2004 SP and 2006 SP and FS). People who have followed Rohene's career for many years have seen his all-around "amazing" skating talent in practices, competition warmups and exhibitions, and are used to the fact that his best stuff has usually not been seen on competition ice, particularly at Nationals (although his 2006 SP was a good performance for him, imho).

I did watch the LPs of the men on the MidWest Sectionals. None of them skated their best. Regrettable, I was hoping for Rohene and Braden. Hopefully, they will skate their best at Nationals.
I hope so! Wesley Campbell skated very well to win Mids (the best he's skated in years, which was nice to see). Rohene rotated all his planned jumps to finish 2nd at Mids (7 triples with a few errors, fell on the quad toe) and seems to be better about not letting a jump mistake affect his next jump(s). Braden Overett's jumps weren't working well at Mids (3rd), but his fabulous footwork and crowd-pleasing choreography are always appreciated. 2007 junior champ Eliot Halverson (4th) rotated a triple axel in both his Mids SP and FS, which was a first for him.

Last edited:

penguin girl

Rinkside
I hope you all are going to watch Rohene Ward who may just break up this rivalry we are talking about.

Also check out Adam Rippon in Junior Boys. He has a style similar to Weir's. However, working with Morozov may have changed that style. It was the style that made him special as his technical is just about above standard - not sensational.

Joe

I can't wait to see Adam Rippon. He has been so strong this year. I do hope Rohene does well, but I don't actually have a lot of confidence that he will. He still looked nervous at mids and even at upper great lakes. It's going to be nerve-racking here in St Paul since he's from here. I'm also rooting for Eliot Halverson, who was my kids' coach in basic skills. He's amazing and has a great future.