Men's Short Program.. Tuesday 16th, 7:15PM EST | Page 79 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program.. Tuesday 16th, 7:15PM EST

Alatariel

On the Ice
Ratings, it's just about ratings. NBC has also made some nice pieces on Plushy and no one is taking this "Plushy as the evil character" seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmT5...0623135D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=38

This is just skating - and not about real problems in the real world. I thought most posters here were able to tell the difference. :)

Believe me, I certainly can. The problem arises when these things get published, and they already have, in the different media. A single blog is enough which then gets read, which then gets retold, then another piece is written and we are off! There's already a whole bunch of people with a negative attitude that just latch on to stuff like this. And certain N.Americans take this very seriously too, as we've seen ample times by now - the amount of genuine vitriol aimed towards Plushenko is mind-boggling. I understand it's the ratings but IMO it's completely unnecessary and not well thought out.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
The major difference between Plushenko and Lysacek is that Plushy has a sense of humor. Lysacek does not.

Im rooting for both Plushy and Evan to win medals. Anyhow, Plushenko, Lysacek, Lambiel and maybe Weir won't be at Worlds.

why wouldn't lysacek be at worlds? doesn't he want to try to defend his world title? how strange.... i think if he doesn't win gold here, he might reconsider.

seniorita

Record Breaker
It served him good when all media mocked him about coming back and called him fat, so he stopped eating pizza.
I so hope Plushy knows all this media crap there cause making him fierce or angry it is the best thing that you can do to him right now :p
So the more the better!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Believe me, I certainly can. The problem arises when these things get published, and they already have, in the different media. A single blog is enough which then gets read, which then gets retold, then another piece is written and we are off! There's already a whole bunch of people with a negative attitude that just latch on to stuff like this. And certain N.Americans take this very seriously too, as we've seen ample times by now - the amount of genuine vitriol aimed towards Plushenko is mind-boggling. I understand it's the ratings but IMO it's completely unnecessary and not well thought out.

Please, there is more hatred - and I mean bitter hatred directed toward Evan than any other skater.
There are people against Plushy too - but many comments about Plush are not so serious.

Do you think anybody cares if Plushy wears the same mullet hair after all these years? I much prefer it to Lysacek's greasy looking helmut head :laugh:

American fans are happy enough today. The "Vonn-couver" games are a success for us as our Golden Girl won the OGM last night. Tonight will be more for fun and interest.

I hope the one's who skate the best win the medals. I don't care who it is - but I hope Evan has a good skate tonight. Same for Plushy and Dai and all of the others. I think the satisfaction Plushy and the others are looking for is to be able to skate their best tonight. That is most important to them. It is the fans who are so obsessed with the medals.

screech

Final Flight
Just looking at the detailed results of the SP from the vancouver 2010 website... How did Brian only get a -1.00 GOE on his non-triple lutz? That jump was a total fail and he only got -1? Meanwhile Patrick got -2.52 GOE for his triple axel, Vaughn got -2.00 GOE on his triple flip/double toe (which he at least completed!). Also, Tomas only got -1 GOE for his double toe. Yes, it was a decent double toe, but he did no steps into it and it was not in combination, so it should have been more -GOE IMO.

Also for jumps with falls, skaters are getting like -4.20GOE (Tomas). And on top of that the -1 deduction for the fall. I thought GOE only went to +/- 3 GOE.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Just looking at the detailed results of the SP from the vancouver 2010 website... How did Brian only get a -1.00 GOE on his non-triple lutz? That jump was a total fail and he only got -1? Meanwhile Patrick got -2.52 GOE for his triple axel, Vaughn got -2.00 GOE on his triple flip/double toe (which he at least completed!). Also, Tomas only got -1 GOE for his double toe. Yes, it was a decent double toe, but he did no steps into it and it was not in combination, so it should have been more -GOE IMO.

Also for jumps with falls, skaters are getting like -4.20GOE (Tomas). And on top of that the -1 deduction for the fall. I thought GOE only went to +/- 3 GOE.

They gave them -3 on everything, but since it was just a 2T and a 2Lz, -3 would leave them with negative points. It always has been that way. The deduction is always proportionate to the base value of the executed element.

seniorita

Record Breaker
LOL
Is NBC Trying to Start Another Cold War Through Figure Skating?

During NBC's coverage of men's figure skating, the network ran a package about Russian favorite/destroyer of worlds Evgeni Plushenko. Plushenko (and Russia) were painted as a bleak, yet brooding force with haunting music and low-angle shots of the Kremlin. Why?

Is NBC trying to romanticize figure skating by telling us it's Rocky IV on ice? We're all for building up hype around an event to grab the attention of the casual viewer, but is Evgeni Plushenko really evil? The gigantic, unstoppable Russian heads west to rock the very foundation of Capitalism using a triple axel, double toe loop combination? And what will America serve up to defend itself from this unstoppable force? Johnny Weir—the immovable (and fabulous) object—of course.

The Russians, with their hooked noses, bowl-cut mullets and sheer power are no match for fox fur, lace, sequins and showmanship.

If Plushenko performs as well in the free skate tonight as he did in the short program last night, America could be in some serious trouble. Either that, or we applaud him for winning two consecutive gold medals. Six of one, half-dozen of the other, right?

and i suppose everyone has read this by now, it really cracked me up and got my nervousness away.
See you tonight!

viv

On the Ice
IMO Lambiel's spins were great but the footwork wasn't as brilliant as Takahashi's or as Scott and Sandra claimed. He wasn't quite sharp to me. I could see him either bombing or grabbing a medal tonight. I'd love it if it were a well-earned silver or even gold if Daisuke falters. Totally mystified by his choice of costume. U-G-L-Y, it ain't got no alibi.

I have no idea if someone mentioned it already - I didn't have the time to read all posts - but Stephane is supposed to be Wilhelm Tell here, our Swiss national hero of late middle ages. So his costume, especially the puff sleeves are inspired by things like that:

http://www.gewandungen.de/strumpf/06_17_PatrITA15JH2H.jpg

I personally wouldn't need the sleeves, but at the same time they don't bother me much. I think the rest of the costume quite good, especially the leather-boot-like shoe covers. :p

janetfan

Match Penalty
Your sudden transformation into the ambassador of unbiasedness is uncanny :unsure:

I never care all that much about the Men. My favorite, Jeremy had a bad SP so I don't really care who wins now. I thought Dai won the SP and hope all the guys skate well tonight.

You prefer me to have a different tone? Sorry, I am not a robot and my moods and feelings change.
It is odd to hear the biggest Evan bashers complaining about any negative remarks about their favorites.

Sorry K - same old double standard. Some of you bash Evan and then act surprised or upset when someone shoots it back at you.

I play nice with posters who play nice. :)

screech

Final Flight
LOL

and i suppose everyone has read this by now, it really cracked me up and got my nervousness away.
See you tonight!

Okay, that was hilarious! My favourite is the Nobu bit...
"Well, huh. Nobunari Oda of Japan is apparently not only the 17th descendent of a Japanese warlord, his lineage also inspired the video game "Nobunaga's Ambition." So clearly, he would carry on his samurai ancestry by becoming an Olympic figure skater and wear this sparkly outfit with pointy sequined arrows cascading over the chest."

And the Johnny bit...
"Up next is American Johnny Weir, the bad boy of figure skating. That's kind of like being the bad boy of cotton candy salesmen. Or the bad boy of hospital volunteers. Or Adam Lambert. He's got mesh gloves and sparkly pink laces and patent leather patches. He does a very FIERCE! routine and earns an 82.10."

GAH! I'm so excited for the LP... is it time yet? How bout now? Now?

seniorita

Record Breaker
did I bash Lysacek also?? I cant read back 106 pages but I m sure I havent, I just dont like his skating as I dont like Pfeiffer as well. I didnt say a word for it. Was too happy for Plush to do that! I noticed his Goe for axel and thats about it. If I want to be a bad girl I have skype and medusa for that. Yet we are preoccupied to admire our favs these days. Evgeni aside, I have like 15 (yes we counted them:p) to cheer for!
Good luck to all tonight, K and S you come to festskype right?just be cautious with jinxing pretty please :D

taikwan

On the Ice
OR the classic definition of a bad boy - writes his own rules, aka a rebel who doesn't bow down to directives.
cool.

schiele

Final Flight
Good luck to all tonight, K and S you come to festskype right?just be cautious with jinxing pretty please :D

Yep, I'll be skyping tonite, I need the support for my fallen angel (no Johnny, its not you this time :laugh:).. I think we did all the jinxing possible with SP but you never know. Im still not cheering as you see (with the one exception last night).. Damn those avatars and dream podiums! :cry:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes cheering in sp maybe was not a good idea, I cheered also and look what happened, i think I have merit in jinxing.. In plush I didnt cheer cause I was dead mute. Maybe I will shut up this time also to many. We cheer in intervals to find the model of the less jinxing probability?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Never said you were a robot. I actually prefer you current line of action. I just hope you were not referring to me as one of the biggest Evan bashers, that would truly surprise me...

No, I wasn't referring to you at all.
I think tonight will be interesting. I have no idea if the top three will remain there but I will be happy for the guys who hold it together and manage to skate their best.

I do not want to see Plushy fail - but I don't mind in the least if someone can outskate him tonight. In fact, I hope someone does.
Does that make me evil :confused:

I am not a fan of Evan's skating but I do admire how hard he works and how determined he is. I thought he and Dai both outskated Plushy the other night but since it is a 3 way tie after the SP why complain about it? Why go into character assassination as if only our favorites deserve to win?

BTW, I thought Joubert's trainwreck of an SP was probably over marked. OK, I guess that does make me evil ;)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yep, I'll be skyping tonite, I need the support for my fallen angel (no Johnny, its not you this time :laugh:).. I think we did all the jinxing possible with SP but you never know. Im still not cheering as you see (with the one exception last night).. Damn those avatars and dream podiums! :cry:
Yes cheering in sp maybe was not a good idea, I cheered also and look what happened, i think I have merit in jinxing.. In plush I didnt cheer cause I was dead mute. Maybe I will shut up this time also to many. We cheer in intervals to find the model of the less jinxing probability?
Maybe we'll find the world formula of jinxing and can henceforth make sure our favs don't bomb :laugh:
I have it: photoshop whoever you dislike onto the cover of Sports Illustrated. That might do the trick and leave things wide open for our faves! :biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think ALL skaters work really hard to reach Olys.
B :laugh::laugh::laugh:you join skype around 3am?
But I wont jinx anyone not fav, I have to worry for my popcorn:boohoo:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I thought Stephane was a little overmarked and I really like him...
I think that he definitely was slightly overmarked. But the ISU begged him on their knees to come back, I get the deal includes to cut him some slack. (that rhymes!)