MENS SP = steaming pile? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

MENS SP = steaming pile?

Frau Muller

Final Flight
eliza88 said:
Sandhu...Has there ever been any discussion of him switching to Ice Dance?

eliza88

I'd love to see a two-man dance team composed of E-man & Johnny. Now, wouldn't that be 'spiffy' (to use Dick Button's words)??? ;)

Mafke

Medalist
eliza88 said:
Oh Sandhu! I agree with Dick, when he is on the ice, who cares about the jumps, I just want to see all the in-betweens! Man can that boy move! Has there ever been any discussion of him switching to Ice Dance?
eliza88

(trying to not laugh) but he'd have to pay attention to someone else ... I don't think that's a strong point of his. Now if they had something like solo-dance/interpretive skating (all footwork,/dance with very reduced jumps and spins) I'd love to see him do that.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was typical Olympic skating--the scheduling is always an issue, the competitors are under enormous pressure. It is amazing that from time to time a competitor/team does something truly extraordinary under all that, but sometimes it happens, and when it does, what a cause for celebration.

I like Verner's program! And Johnny's swan was believable, including the bit with the glove, and smooth smooth smooth :rock:

Bezic was right. Whether you like Baboo or not, or whether you enjoyed his program or not, his choreo was definitely trite, banal, overused, and overobvious. Including thinking that he has to have 007 on his back...yeah, all of the secret agents have mile high labels on them (smacks head). Bond was hugely overused in the 80's, including by the pre-Calgary Boitano, and it was criticized then for obvious and trite. Geez.

On Plush: it's wrong to say Plush has choreo or music. Plush does what Plush does-have command of the ice, perform his elements, and do what he feels like, which has little connection to the music, if he's not feeling like that particular music. You can like it or not, but it doesn't matter..he's going to win anyways because he is technically far, far ahead of the rest.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
I'd love to see a two-man dance team composed of E-man & Johnny. Now, wouldn't that be 'spiffy' (to use Dick Button's words)??? ;)
I would pay money to see that at COI or SOI.

cianni

On the Ice
Thanks to All

I didnt watch and I guess I didnt miss much. I expected Plush to be 1st and I thought his marks would be around 100/150. Almost.right.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Does anyone have any insight into why Johnny got a level one on his sit spin? and fairly low marks for his 3-flip? I'd seen the scores before the performance and was expecting to see a pretty major botch.

I am never surprised when these high-stakes contests turn out to be splatfests. These guys are pushing their bodies to superhuman extremes; to me, it is only natural that they don't succeed on every jump in a program. Even Plushenko was shaky on both of the landings of his quad/triple combo.

To me, that's just the nature of sport. I think the New Judging System will push skaters to attempt tricks way beyond what they can do. It's worth more points to fall on a triple Axel than to succeed on a double. Look at how Zhang and Zhang got the silver medal in pairs. Pack your program with so much stuff that it doesn't matter if you fall or not.

MM

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Previously posted by soogar
Rolling my eyes at Johnny's "Gay Bode" profile. Nikie already laid off on the incessant running of the Bode ads and now I have see yet another athlete profile where the athlete is incessantly going on and on about changing the "establishment". Please, there are a million guys like Weir figure skating which is why skating is the "gay sport". Weir isn't adding anything new. He did skate his SP very well though.

So are you implying Johnny thinks his style of "gay skating" is groundbreaking, revolutionary (at least he thinks he is)?. But what I also gathered from the fluff piece (and BTW, Johnny is so self-conscious that he was mugging for the camera thinking he was a fashion model, and the Christina Aguilera/other diva music playing in the background so bespeaks of his ego, but I admire his skating and be-myself attitude none the less) was that Johnny admires candid personalities like Bode, but the way he fondly spoke of him, and how NBC showed his love of all things Christina and Oksana, just adds more "fabulous icing to the fruitcake."
Maybe Johnny wishes by publicly expressing his admiration for Plushenko and Bode, he could "swing them his way":laugh:

nicole_l

Final Flight
I'm just amazed that Matt Savoie is standing in 8th place right now. That's amazing! If he had landed that 3lutz, he'd be in fourth! OMG!
Then again the field sucked last night :cool:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
nicole_l said:
I'm just amazed that Matt Savoie is standing in 8th place right now. That's amazing! If he had landed that 3lutz, he'd be in fourth! OMG!
Then again the field sucked last night :cool:

;) I was thinking the same thing last night - if he had only landed that other jump. Otherwise, his skating stood out as really beautiful compared to the rest of the group.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I wish Buttle hadnt done a flawed performance... I want to see his programs awarded as the correct marriage of technical elements and choreography. Programs like his from the last 2 seasons are the best examples of the pros of the COP.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
The footwork -- its musicality, ATTACK, variety of steps & directions -- was especially fantabulous!
I felt Plushenko's footwork had nothing to do with the music. He attacks but I often wonder what is he attacking?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
I felt Plushenko's footwork had nothing to do with the music. He attacks but I often wonder what is he attacking?

Yagudin? Just a thought...

I did love him last night. He was at his arrogant, diva-ish best.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:

Camille. The feathers are a flyin'.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Plushenko's footwork isn't incredibly difficult (at least that's what Dick Button says, to tell you the truth I can't really tell a level 2 from a level 3), but he's always passionate about his performance and that's definitely reflected in the PCS.

mike79

On the Ice
What I like about Plushenko's footwork is that it works against the music so much that the footwork and music come together in a very avant-garde type way. It works because we don't think it works.

I also think that he flaps his arms so much while doing footwork that he thinks he's going to fly away.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
Bezic was right. Whether you like Baboo or not, or whether you enjoyed his program or not, his choreo was definitely trite, banal, overused, and overobvious. Including thinking that he has to have 007 on his back...yeah, all of the secret agents have mile high labels on them (smacks head). Bond was hugely overused in the 80's, including by the pre-Calgary Boitano, and it was criticized then for obvious and trite. Geez.

I laughed at the trite comment. Agree completely. Trite and too Yags-clonish. I liked Joubert a few years ago, but I feel like he's never developed into his own person as a skater, and, at this point, I'm just bored by him.

I watched the SP last night w/ my roommate who knows NOTHING about skating. Glad to come here and read that other people had similar opinions re: Plushy's skate ... front loaded, frenetic, ackward choreography ... where did his scores come from? 10pts over Weir? Granted, I'm no expert on the COP, but Johnny's program seems to be better choreographed, more complex, better transisions ... better w/ the exception of the quad and maybe Plushy's power counts for something. I know it's different in person, but that was my impression from watching on TV.

Vash01

Medalist
I loved Plushenko's performance. He is a tough competitor and he delivered what many others could not. Lambiel chickened out of the triple axel (a smart strategy, actually). Johnny skated great but without a quad combo. Plushenko OWNS the ice when he skates. His program was obviously created to score well, rather than to create the most beautiful program. That's COP, folks. Don't blame Plushy for the new rules. He did what was needed to win the SP.

Jeff Buttle was held up- two big mistakes and still in the last group to skate? It's a pity Matt Savoie missed the triple lutz. He could have been in the final group.
I was disappointed that they did not show Klimkin. Later I found out he was in18th place, so he must have had some major problems.

Evan- major disappointment. Normally he is so reliable.

Vash

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
tharrtell said:
Trite and too Yags-clonish. I liked Joubert a few years ago, but I feel like he's never developed into his own person as a skater, and, at this point, I'm just bored by him.
That's how I feel also. I liked Joubert in 2004 and thought he had potential but since then, my opinion has steadily decreased.

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
Vash01 said:
His program was obviously created to score well, rather than to create the most beautiful program. That's COP, folks. Don't blame Plushy for the new rules.
Vash

I simply don't find that acceptable, especially at the Olympics. It IS possible to have a beautiful program and adhere to the COP.