Mens SP | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Mens SP

viv

On the Ice
Well, as everything to be said was said here already, I only add the few remarks I simply can't held back:
I simply cannot believe that Joubert was that overmarked. So I said it. Fulstop. :cool:

And I am completely heartbroken about Odas unfortunate mistake - I think he would have been just above 80 without the fall. His axel was the best of the evening, IMO. With skating in the penultimate group and the bad draw he has forhis LP, I don't see him near the podium even with a flawless skate. But, then, you never know...

As for Contesti: They didn't show him in the Eurosport live coverage, but they did in todays afternoon replay. (I always watch both, one with the German, one with the Englich commentators. ;)) So for those who didn't see it: He skated great, even better than at Euros, and got a standing ovation.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Okay, I checked Joubert's 3T on super-super-slowmo. It was definitely 1/5 to 1/4 underrotated - but not more. And what saved him here was that his blade was parallel to the ice and it landed parallel to the ice, not the toepick first. That's often a mistake with other skaters, their toepick touches the ice way before the rest of the blade - and zack, underrotated.

I love Joubert's Triple Lutz - I know that he has sometimes problems on it, but if he lands it, it's so gorgeous, the power, the ease, the height, the fact that he opens up on it while being still 30cm over the ice. Mroz has a similar 3Lz (and a similar Quad for that matter, even the same entrance and everything), nearly as amazing.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tomas Verner, on the other hand, was totally robbed.

We must ensure this thread is longer than the ladies' thread! But the judges will likely ruin our worthy goal by giving Caro high marks on a performance with mistakes, or displeasing the Mao and/or Yu-Na bots, or getting all our Canadian friends to chime in about how Joannie wuzrobbed. Judges, please mark the ladies fairly!

Buttercup, I totally agree on both counts! :agree:

Eevun

Final Flight
You guys know how to write! Took me over an hour to read through all this. I smiled when I got to the Patrick-point. Everyone waited for 90+ score, but instead got a big :eek: :confused: :scratch: That was fun.
But as a non-Chan fan I'm quite surprised over the score as well. Or maybe that just proves that he was overscored all season. My first reaction was "Yes! I believe in humanity again!" then "but that wasn't all fair... He lost to Brian without a perfect program". After reading all your posts and looking at the score I'm fine with it again. The TES difference between Brian and Patrick is just 0.40. Patrick skated cleaner, Brian had a quad. And Brian deserves more PCS. It's not a giant gap between them.

I was so sad for Abbott:( I love his SP and I so wanted him to do a good skate at home. Better luck at LP, I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Oh, how I love that hockey back cutie :love: Can't wait to see more of Mroz. He's big and square-looked, and I'm so amazed over his jumps. That guy has potential!
Oda makes me smile and just feel good. He smiles like the sun himself, even if he happens to crash out in the cameras LOL that guy has a big sense of humour. One of my favourites in this SP.

Very proud of my boys, Adrian&Koffe, as well. They stood on their feet and I think they can do even better in LP (I feel hope about 2 spots for Vancouver again. Pleeeease... >_<)

Oh, speaking of this, I was offended at the way the crowd was pushed into clapping for the Americans. After all of the Americans skated, the jumbotron lighted up and said "CLAP LOUDER!!!". This was not done for any of the competitors. Only the Americans.
Ugly. I thought the audience felt quite stingy. In Göteborg we cheered ourselves hoarse for almost every skater and everyone in the last group(s) got standing o's. That's how you do, cos you're so happy to see them.

i am addicted to men's figure skating...i think i need to join a support group for that....maybe start one, MFSA, Men's Figure Skating Anonymous. We'll stand up and confess, "I am a Men's Figure Skating junkie.". That'd be a start.
:agree: I think I fit in there *fears*

entire post
Very good and interesting post.

The only thing I can say about the Men's....
Where is Stephane? Where is Jeffrey??!!
WHERE ARE THEY!!!! :cry::unsure::mad::banging::eek:
Oh yes. They never were my biggest favourites, but they were on a completely different level. The men's field feels... poor now.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Ugly. I thought the audience felt quite stingy. In Göteborg we cheered ourselves hoarse for almost every skater and everyone in the last group(s) got standing o's. That's how you do, cos you're so happy to see them.
There are definitely some differences - Göteborg was so voidy, it was one big non-stop party, everybody got loads of cheering. Same goes actually for Euros in Helsiniki this year.

Then there are really ugly moments, like the Korean audience during Mao Asada's freeskate at the GPF.

And here in L.A. - without wanting to sound too biased - I think it's a bit the American way. Anyone remember Atlanta 1996? That was really horrible at points. And they were polite towards other skaters here, Joubert got some cheering, Kozuka got polite applause - but it's not comparable to Göteborg.

Eevun

Final Flight
There are definitely some differences - Göteborg was so voidy, it was one big non-stop party, everybody got loads of cheering.
It certainly was. The biggest party I ever went on. :party2: *remember good old times and gets a tear in her eye*

seniorita

Record Breaker
Okay, I checked Joubert's 3T on super-super-slowmo. It was definitely 1/5 to 1/4 underrotated - but not more.

Out of subject, i like the fact tha cop was created to make judging more clear, I just imagine the judges with a magnifying glass trying to figure out if a jump was 1/5 or 1/4 under rotated!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i feel like im in school again doing algebra:rolleye:

I missed weir yesterday, and stephan:frown:

Medusa

Record Breaker
It certainly was. The biggest party I ever went on. :party2: *remember good old times and gets a tear in her eye*
Speaking of party, are you planning to go to Tallinn next year? Should be good - directly before the Olympics, the city is beautiful.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I forgot to mention that I LOVED Samuel Contesti. I wasn't that impressed by him after watching the European championships, but seeing it live yesterday was a treat. I appreciated the details in his choreography and his jumps were HUGE.

Eevun

Final Flight
I missed weir yesterday, and stephan:frown:
I miss him so much... I hope he'll be back next year.

Speaking of party, are you planning to go to Tallinn next year? Should be good - directly before the Olympics, the city is beautiful.
Maybe. Not that far away. I'll just be home from South Africa then, so maybe havn't that much money. But we'll see. Will you be going?

Kinga

Medalist
Look, I don't know what's going on within the ISU; it's a great mystery ;). And I know you're not overly fond of Joubert, esp. this year's programs from him. But to reduce his skating to nothing but pelvic thrusts is unfair and inaccurate.

You are right. I guess a smiley was missing after my 'pelvic thrusts'. Then it would be easier to understand that I have not reduced his program only to this, since I claim he still should have scored high and tight with others. Still, in my opinion choreograpy is poor and program is rather silly.

taylorfax

On the Ice
I miss him so much... I hope he'll be back next year.
I love your signature. :clap:

Also, yes, come to Tallinn, everyone. :biggrin: I'm so excited about next year, never seen a senior international event live in my home town. Well, never seen a senior event live, period. ;)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
You are right. I guess a smiley was missing after my 'pelvic thrusts'. Then it would be easier to understand that I have not reduced his program only to this, since I claim he still should have scored high and tight with others. Still, in my opinion choreograpy is poor and program is rather silly.
There has been so much negativity around the men's event and so many harsh comments about some of the skaters, it's hard to figure out who means what without the smileys :)

We've discussed Rise before, I believe - I agree it's not his best, though my assessment is not as negative as yours.

Eevun

Final Flight
I love your signature. :clap:

Also, yes, come to Tallinn, everyone. :biggrin: I'm so excited about next year, never seen a senior international event live in my home town. Well, never seen a senior event live, period. ;)
Thanks :) Men's field just isn't the same this year without them...

Champ in your hometown... prepare for the week of your life!! I still remember last year as yesterday. It will be huge, enormous, thrilling, fantastic fun! :rock:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Oh, you are from Tallinn! That's fantastic. Do you guys understand Russian there or should I start learning a finno-ugric language? I hate going somewhere if I don't have even a basic knowledge of the language.

I still think the men's field is exciting though. And having Johnny + Dai there would probably result in an emotional overload for me...

Eevun

Final Flight
Oh, you are from Tallinn! That's fantastic. Do you guys understand Russian there or should I start learning a finno-ugric language? I hate going somewhere if I don't have even a basic knowledge of the language.
It's closer to Finnish than Russian, right?

I still think the men's field is exciting though. And having Johnny + Dai there would probably result in an emotional overload for me...
I didn't think I would miss them as much as I actually do. I thought the field would feel more open without any big names. But it feel just... flat. It will be a thrilling final though. With this judging, anything can happen, apparently.

taylorfax

On the Ice
Champ in your hometown... prepare for the week of your life!! It will be huge, enormous, thrilling, fantastic fun! :rock:
hee I will. Dang, I can't wait! I'm kind of really sorry I never got to see Stephane compete, though.

lol As retarded as it sounds, Tallinn is kind of split in two that way, with the Russian-speaking folk living their lives and we Estonians our own. I mean, a lot of people speak both languages, of course. But mostly the younger generation hasn't really got the hang of it properly.
But you can definitely get by with Russian.