Mia Caroline Risa Gomez | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mia Caroline Risa Gomez

Country
Norway
After a bit rusty start on the season and a quiet couple of weeks, Mia participated in the last National competition before Christmas this past weekend and won it safely with 158.22 points down to Kaia Kleven in 2nd with 134,21 points and Linnea Kilsand with 133.30 points in 3rd. I have updated the OP with the scores and link. This was the first competition she had in a month since Denkova-Staviski, so the last two months she has only been doing one international and one domestic competition.

The selection for Euros hasn´t been published yet, and all though there was a small fight in the scores between Mia and Linnea in the beginning of the season, Linnea hasn´t been able to keep up and there should be no doubt that Mia will get the spot. Hopefully it will be confirmed soon.

That is also most likely be Mias next competition. Norwegian Nationals have been pushed after Euros this season because Euros is rather early. Normally Norwegian Nationals are held in the beginning of January but now it will be in the end.

Mia had a rather busy schedule in Dec/January last season. She started earlier this season, but not as busy. Hopefully it can benefit her that she is well rested for Euros, it seemed like the schedule last season was a bit heavy because she looked very tired at Nordics competitio so i´m relieved to see she is not pushing it this season.

I´m wondering if she might even do JWC, Mia and Pernille With is the only juniors now with the minimums, but Pernille With has been out with injury the last couple of months and i´m not sure when she will be ready to compete again, I have the impression she has been completely off the ice since September. Oda Havgar who did compete at JWC last season doesn´t have the minimums anymore, she is missing the FS minimum and she hasn´t competed all season, so I don´t thinks she will get it. If the other juniors are going to be in the loop they need to get the minimums and there is not much time yet.

Normally the Fed don´t want to have the same skater at WC and JWC, but I think they can make an exception if there is no other candidates, it would be sad if they didn´t use the spot. I havn´t checked the schedule but it might be possible. It would perhaps interfere with Sonja Henie Trophy because that is in March too and I would think Mia would very much like to be at the first ISU competition in a while in Norway.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Just posted this in the coaching change thread, but it seems Mia got a very new exciting coach :jaw:

It´s former single skater Agnes Zawadski from the US. She is listed as Mia coach going to Euros. Is it possible she is going as a coach for only Euros? But would that make sense at all, most skaters want their own coach at such big happenings.

Edit: Agnes is going with Mia to Challenge Cup as well as coach, so it seems likely she has become one of Mias regular coaches.

The ISU bio still says that Nuriya and Lorenzo is coaching Mia, but honestly I havn´t seen much of Lorenzo with Mia recently.

Source: https://www.skoyteforbundet.no/nyheter/uttak-em-kunstlop/

I can not find any information that Agnes did some coaching before. She is very young, born in 94.

Apparently Agnes is/was living in Colorado Springs and Mia was training with team US at the camp there this spring at the camp where she was invited as instructor for Lorenzo. So it seems likely they made some kind of connection there. I wonder if Lorenzo is having some kind of work with her also. Also i´m wondering what this means, will Mia continue training in Norway or do she might go to the US?

Last edited:
Country
Norway
I totally missed out on Mias birthday on the 21th of December, it was also a big day, she is now 18 :hb::hb::hb:

So belated happy birthday to Mia, in Norway 18 is the legal age, so I wish her the best going into adult life :biggrin:

Country
Norway
2 days ago a very interesting article about Mia and her family was published in a local newspaper. It´s behind pay wall, and it´s in Norwegian, but I wanted to share some interesting information about the article.

Mia and her family actually lived a few years in London, from around the age of 3 and until she was 7, before they moved back to Norway. Mia got fascinated by skating when she was 3, but she forgot about it when they lived in London, where she did turn. When she moved back to Norway, Mia attended a birthday party on the ice, and again she was really fascinated. So that is when she started with skating at the age of 7 joining the skating school. It was also a good place for Mia to learn Norwegian as well, according the article, Mia first learned Spanish, then English and at last Norwegian.

Both of Mia parents are former athletes as well, her father Eirik Risa a football player and her mother Gisella Gomez a swimmer.

Figure skating is a family project, and they travel around 150 days of the year, using the whole summer at different training camps. Her 13 years old little sister Ella Risa Gomez is a figure skater as well, and started already with skating at the age of 3-4. It´s really nice to read about how supportive the sisters are to each other, Mia is Ellas biggest role model, and she is very supportive towards Mia. Since Ella is now on the development team, they go together at the National teams gathering and she loves to train and travel with her sister.

Both the parents and the sister do use a lot of time and energy on the sport, but at the same time the parents say it´s no pressure and that the sisters can stop whenever they want. The say Mia and Ella are very self driven and that the parents focus on giving them the right competence around them to get new impulses and feel good about skating.

Mia is very grateful for what the parents have done and could not have done it without the parents help and say that she and Ella is very lucky to have such good and supportive parents.

The article focus on that the sisters are in the golden age as figure skaters and that the figure skating career normally doesn´t last that long. Mia says she don´t think she will be skating when she is 30, and that she wants to maybe focus more on travel and social life when she is done with competitive skating. But right now it doesn´t bother her all the sacrifices she does have to do for the sport. Her big goal now is to go to OG.

Also it´s father Eirik who travel most with the daughters, mother Gisella tends to get nervous, but her father is relaxed and chill.

Tha article also confirms that in fact Agnes Zawadski is both Mia and Ellas coach, and it seems she is present at the training rink in Stavanger from the article so it seems Agnes is now training them in Norway.

Country
Norway

Congratz Mia with good fight in the SP today :clap::clap: I´m proud of her.

Mia placed 26th in the SP today at Euros so that means that she was 2 places and only 2 points short of qualifying for the finals today. The mistake on the combo cost her some point and she got a time deduction.

However for the first time she reached a step sequence 4, which was very impressive. It really looks like she changed the choreography a little and I really liked it.

All level 4 on the spins as well, despite having trouble going into the sit spin, but she managed to save it. So kudos for that.

She scored a little better in PCS this year as well, from 22 to 23 all though she had bigger mistakes. 4 of the judges gave her PCS in 24-25 area but the British judge gave her as low as 17 so that took her down a little. She hasn´t been able to get any ranking points this season yet, so she still might get hurt a little by that.

The good news is she has more international competition scheduled before Worlds and has the chance to collect more ranking points from senior B events. She is going to Nordics, Challenge Cup and maybe Tallinn Trophy. Next competition is Nationals in about 2 weeks time.

Given that her jumps have been her best qualify before, there are a lot of positive prospects we saw today despite not qualifying to the final, she got the highest level on step sequence, spins and better PCS. Let´s not forget that she very recently changed coaches and is perhaps adjusting to that.

So maybe she will peak at Worlds this year? :pray:

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Norwegian Nationals was this weekend. Mia defended her National title from last year and is the 2024 senior women champion :clap::clap:

She scored 56.45 in the SP. After the SP it was really tight and Mia had an only one points lead on Linnea and 4 points down to third. But Mia smashed her FS completely with a very difficult layout:

3Lz-2T, 3Lzq (fall), 3F, 3Lo, 3S, 3T-2A-SEQ, 2A-euler-3S<. She scored 113.45 in total with a TES of 61.85, and overall a new PB with 169.91, almost broke the 170 mark even with mistakes.

In the SP she also went for 3F-3T but had a fall on the combo. But her lutz and axel was clean.

Seems like the coaching change to Agnes is working well so far. Her programs also looks better and PCS have gotten a little bit better.

Next competition is already this weekend at Nordics Open in Sweden. I hope she isn´t to tired after Nationals and can deliver something similar. It would be awesome if she was able to go her SP clean with the 3F-3T combo!

Country
Norway

Congratz to Mia, finally on the podium at Nordics Open and with a silver medal 🥳🥳 This is the first Norwegian senior women to be on the podium at Nordics Opens since 2015!

After a 10th place in the SP, she had another brilliant FS and ended up winning the FS and taking the silver overall. She delivered something very similar to Nationals, and got a TES score of 62 points. She had 2 small mistakes, but otherwise it was clean.

Really well done, considering Nationals was only a week ago!

Country
Norway
https://www.skoyteforbundet.no/nyheter/2024/uttak-mesterskap-kunstlop/

Mia is going both to JWC and WC :hap10::hap10::hap10::jump::jump::jump:

I had hopes since she WD both from Tallins Hotel Cup and Challenge Cup, that they would make an exception this year.. Pernille With is the sub, and was the only other skater with JWC minimums. I think they made an exception this year to send Mia to both championships because it´s actually some weeks between and Pernille has been injured and not scored well in enough in the SP this season to be able to qualify for a final.

Mia is also going to Sonja Henie Trophy the week after JGP. I hope it isn´t too much but it´s good they took her out of Challenge Cup and Tallinn Hotel Cups to focus on JWC now.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
I´m really happy for Mia that she was able to put out the skate like that at Worlds, after a very tough skate at JuniorWr and also being two places away from qualifying for the free at Euros. On top on that, last year at Worlds she got the last place, and now she made the free :hap10::hap10:

Also based on season best score it was really a nice surprise that she was able to qualify and I think nok many predicted it. However, the people who have been following her closely were familiar with the potential she had, but she needed to be almost flawless to be able to pull that off, particular because she skated in the first group and honestly she would have gotten a bit higher if she had been in a later group, but given all that it was a very strong score for a first group skater and i´m very happy it was enough, and i´m not particular bothered about a bit stingy score because it was to be expected.

I was sad that she had not been able to show her beautiful new free at the big stages earlier this season. So I´m over the moon that we will be able to see it tomorrow. I´m happy she just qualified so i´m not expecting much but I hope she really will enjoy the skate.

She has incredible mental strength to be able to turn this around, but she was able to put on the right mindset, and it seems Agnes has helped her a lot.

It´s must be such a good feeling ending the season on such a good note because her season has been a bit rocky. She will also get some important ranking points. She has not been able to gather much points this season so I think this will help her a lot going into the next pre-Olympic season. Hopefully she is able to climb some groups next season, because those scores and reputation are going to matter next Worlds when the first Olympic spots are handed out.

But for now, let´s just enjoy this wonderful achievement :jump::jump::jump:

Last edited:
Country
Norway
If anyone finds a video from her SP please let me know. I have been looking for it on YouTube but nothing so far. The ISU stream is geoblocked for me.

I guess it´s the last time she performed this SP. She had it for two seasons now. I´m excited to see what she comes up with the next season. I do wonder if Agnes will be choreographing her SP or not. If she keeping it for two seasons the next SP is probably for Olympic season as well. If Agnes has connections maybe she will get an exciting choreographer for her new SP. I also have been wondering if she might work together with Benoit one day, she has been spending the last two summers at Ice Peak Camp for several weeks so it would be natural choice. If it´s her style. I know Mia has liked the programs Sondre Oddvoll Bøe has choreographed for her, so maybe she will stick with that.

Country
Norway
Agnes posted a story about Mia working with Tom Dickson on the ice rink today, with the text "Exciting things on the way".

I would think he is choreographing a new program for her?

Excited!

Lorenzo was also in Norway last week working with Mia and Agnes, I was also thinking he was perhaps choreographing, but maybe they were working more on jumps. I think Mia will keep her LP since she only had it for one season.

Last edited: