Michelle-Elle Magazine Feb/2006 | Golden Skate

Michelle-Elle Magazine Feb/2006

millie

Medalist
There is a nice article in February's issue of Michelle.

Some main points:

Tatiano Tarasova was very strict with Michelle coreographically speaking. TT made sure that there was no more "girl" in Michelle, only pure womanly sophistication. Apparently TT was concerned that the judges need to view Michelle as the "sophisticated" skater (without the lyrical aspect to her skating) For example, with Totentanz, Michelle was coreographed to skate as if she were "clubbing" and having the night of her life, hence the use of techno music. According to Michelle, she's the J.Lo on ice. Because of the musical pieces, Vera Wang's design's had to be "extreme" and "servere", maybe bordering avante-garde. International judges were flown in to make sure that Michelle was skating to the most technical programs among the ladies including Iriana, so much that she does not need the triple-triple. She says that she has now definately realized that there is life after skating. Something which she has not known when she was 17. That's why she chose to train in the L.A. area so that she could be closer to her family and friends and also so that she could have more of a night life. She knows she has to enjoy her bachlorete years. She even said that she loves to go clubbing, and that she does not need much alcohol, if any, to start dancing. She loves Hip-Hop music. She even knows that she is the under dog and that for her being at the Olympics is a real gift in itself. This time around, she will treat the Olympics as if it were an adventure- a kind of place to explore. But sports psychologists belive that this year she will bring home the bacon because she is completely liberated . Her mood now is that of "attack".

It's a very long article, enjoy.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Can someone please edit a version for Mathman, leaving out the clubbing and alcohol?

The new Michelle:chorus: (I knew there would be a purpose for this little smilie)

Seriously, sounds like she's ready to skate with the big gals and kick some ice.

mzheng

Record Breaker
There is an 8 page article about Kwan in 'In-Style' as well.

1 page of Kwan in Glamore
4 page of Kwan in Elle
8 page of Kwan in In-Style

The Kween really breaks through the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Oh Please

millie said:
There is a nice article in February's issue of Michelle.

Some main points:

Tatiano Tarasova was very strict with Michelle coreographically speaking. TT made sure that there was no more "girl" in Michelle, only pure womanly sophistication. Apparently TT was concerned that the judges need to view Michelle as the "sophisticated" skater (without the lyrical aspect to her skating) For example, with Totentanz, Michelle was coreographed to skate as if she were "clubbing" and having the night of her life, hence the use of techno music. According to Michelle, she's the J.Lo on ice. Because of the musical pieces, Vera Wang's design's had to be "extreme" and "servere", maybe bordering avante-garde. International judges were flown in to make sure that Michelle was skating to the most technical programs among the ladies including Iriana, so much that she does not need the triple-triple. She says that she has now definately realized that there is life after skating. Something which she has not known when she was 17. That's why she chose to train in the L.A. area so that she could be closer to her family and friends and also so that she could have more of a night life. She knows she has to enjoy her bachlorete years. She even said that she loves to go clubbing, and that she does not need much alcohol, if any, to start dancing. She loves Hip-Hop music. She even knows that she is the under dog and that for her being at the Olympics is a real gift in itself. This time around, she will treat the Olympics as if it were an adventure- a kind of place to explore. But sports psychologists belive that this year she will bring home the bacon because she is completely liberated . Her mood now is that of "attack".

It's a very long article, enjoy.

Michelle has been saying that 'there's life after skating' for the past five or six years and still trying to convince herself of it. Kind of like, "I just went out there and had fun." When I hear that I just shake my head. Summarily, when Michelle says she wants to go to the Olympics "to explore", that just says the fire has gone out, absorbed by fire in the rest of the field who wants to put that last nail in her coffin such as Hughes or Meissner, and a seemingly now very determined Sasha because she knows her future endeavors depend on that Gold Medal and her future is now and I think she has a sense of that, Kwan doesn't.

mzheng

Record Breaker
lisadotdash said:
Michelle has been saying that 'there's life after skating' for the past five or six years and still trying to convince herself of it. Kind of like, "I just went out there and had fun." When I hear that I just shake my head. Summarily, when Michelle says she wants to go to the Olympics "to explore", that just says the fire has gone out, absorbed by fire in the rest of the field who wants to put that last nail in her coffin such as Hughes or Meissner, and a seemingly now very determined Sasha because she knows her future endeavors depend on that Gold Medal and her future is now and I think she has a sense of that, Kwan doesn't.
Well you have to read the full article to know what's the meaning of her saying that. Before this the article quoted Karen Kwan said it took her almost two years to get over 1998 Olympics dissapointment, at that time she was 17, she thought skating for OGM is everything.

No body going to put the last nail in her coffin such as Hughes or Meissner. It would took them combined effort of two life times to achieve what MK achieved at this point (Turino Game has yet to start). Disclaim, by saying this I'm not any intention to slam Hughes or Meissner just only because you mention them so I use them as examples.

As far as Cohen goes, as I said Game not starting yet, let's wait out and see what happens.

All we can do now is talk the talk, and it just happens that Kwan has most ppl talk about her because of her achivements so far, good or bad.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
lisadotdash said:

Is that pop-psychology?

Justafan

On the Ice
I'm confused. Is TT her current choreographer, and is MK going to skate to techno at Turino?

mzheng

Record Breaker
Justafan said:
I'm confused. Is TT her current choreographer, and is MK going to skate to techno at Turino?
I believe it is refer to her SP, the one she skated at Mashall cheese fest. Yes, TT choreographed both of her programs this season.

Thanks Millie - I don't read Elle and those others mentioned Glamor and In Stule. It's always nice to read some substantive news.

I think TT is correct in her concept of Techno v.Lyrical. Imo,Techno is definitely for competitions; Lyrical is defintely for the fans of fine skating, and does not get those WOWs for higher points.

Ballet is like that too, the Bravura dancers bring down the house with their flashy jumps while the Lyrical dancers get a warm applause. Preference is up to the viewer.

I don't see MK as having all that WOW business but when I think of Aranjez, I am aware she can turn it on when she has to. It'll be interesting to see the skate if she is allowed to go to the Olys.

Joe

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
Can someone please edit a version for Mathman, leaving out the clubbing and alcohol?

The new Michelle:chorus: (I knew there would be a purpose for this little smilie)

Seriously, sounds like she's ready to skate with the big gals and kick some ice.

No Piel, we cant't edit.
By the way, you are braver than I am. I wouldn't dare put that :chorus: in my post.
But seriously, I thought it was a nice article. To get the full jist of the interview, Mathman is going to have to go out and by "Elle" magazine.:)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I just got the magazine last night & Millie is right, its a great article... I had to laugh at Michelle's J.Lo & bling bling comments... but I think she was referring to more after the olympics she's gonna live it up a little & enjoy her youth vs. she's the J.Lo on ice ~ not that its a bad thing... But this is definately a bit more than your average fluffy piece, maybe the best article so far. And once MM sees that picture of her, he's never gonna recover! My husband was like: "THAT's Michelle Kwan?!? Are you seriously serious? I need to start paying more attention to ice skating!":rofl:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
My husband was like: "THAT's Michelle Kwan?!? Are you seriously serious? I need to start paying more attention to ice skating!":rofl:
Bad :rofl:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel said:
The new Michelle:chorus:

Love it!! This sounds like a really good article. I may have to break down and buy a girlie magazine for a change!! Plus I'm dying to see that picture - maybe Mr. Doggy will get more interested in FS. ;)

DG

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Millie - By all means, put in the:rofl: and :chorus: if you want to. I made a boo boo complaining about it. Sorry.

Joe

Hey Joe, no need to be sorry. At times tempers fly and with all this tension going into the Olympics people have to be a bit sensitive toward other posters and their opinions and sometimes bite you tongue. We need a little:chorus: :chorus: to ease the tension. No matter what we say or do will not have any effect on the outcome of the Games. The only thing that will matter is how hard the skaters train and whoever is the readiest. They all can't win, someone has to come in second or third.:)

Here's to you my fellow poster:chorus: :chorus: :)

Millie, thank you so much for providing that synopsis.:agree: Now I have a reason to go out and pay way too much money for a magazine that's 90% fashion, perfume, and the like ads. Now that doesn't mean Mathman shouldn't get a subscription.:biggrin:

WOW! I LOVE what I read! Yes! Yes! Yes! I've been waiting since "Aranjuez" for somebody to take Michelle by the hand and lead her up to the next step. I kept feeling that Michelle wanted to do it, but just didn't quite know how. Yes, a womanly Michelle and the most technically difficult program of all the ladies. No wonder she had the hip and groin injuries. She was pushing herself into unknown territories. It's too bad she had to go through the injuries, but it shows the determination that has always been the hallmark of Michelle Kwan. Despite the injuries, I still say GOOD FOR MICHELLE!:clap: :rock: :clap:

I am so excited to see Michelle skate these programs I just don't have the words. (Take note folks, on Tuesday, January 24, 2006, Rgirl had no words.)

I was also very happy to read what the sports psychologists had to say, that Michelle is "completely libererated." You can't get into a more ideal "head space" than that. Again, I'm just thrilled.

Last year and when her injury lasted so long this season, for once people thought the Evil Rgirl was being over optimistic about Michelle when I said I felt she would win the '06 OGM and thus have a complete set of Olympic medals: gold, silver, and bronze. But as I've said, it was just such a strong gut feeling.

Of course I know Tarasova is not only the queen of choreographing top point-getting programs, but also the queen of promoting her skaters. But what I think makes TAT's comments go beyond her personal interests is that she brought in both judges and sports psychologists to evaluate the programs and Michelle's feelings. It seems that TAT and Michelle both covered all their basis.

Go do it, Michelle!

Rgirl

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Of course I know Tarasova is not only the queen of choreographing top point-getting programs, but also the queen of promoting her skaters. But what I think makes TAT's comments go beyond her personal interests is that she brought in both judges and sports psychologists to evaluate the programs and Michelle's feelings. It seems that TAT and Michelle both covered all their basis.

Go do it, Michelle!

Rgirl

Did I miss something here? I don't remember reading it was TT who brought in judges and sports psychologists?

Oh, thank you millie, for starting this thread.
forgot mention this in my previouse posts

Last edited by a moderator:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think Kwan is really taking this Olympic run seriously and is covering her bases. Too bad the injuries screwed things up. I hope she recovers well enough to win that OGM. I am so anxious to see her programs, especially to compare her "Totentantz" full of "womanly sophistication" to Irina's.

OK, now I'm worried do the judges know what to do with "womanly sophistication"?