Michelle Kwan nominated for ambassadorship to Belize | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan nominated for ambassadorship to Belize

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Belize. Kind of odd, I don't think it's even a country she's competed in.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I assume the remark was meant to be funny, but maybe Michelle can bring knowledge and enthusiasm for figure skating to Belize. Stranger things have happened. :)

Congratulations Michelle :clap:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I assume the remark was meant to be funny, but maybe Michelle can bring knowledge and enthusiasm for figure skating to Belize.
I would have assumed those picked would have some nexus to the country. I know it's not often the case (i.e. LA Mayor Garcetti picked to be the ambassador to India), but am curious to know about the selection process.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would have assumed those picked would have some nexus to the country. I know it's not often the case (i.e. LA Mayor Garcetti picked to be the ambassador to India), but am curious to know about the selection process.

I am curious too, and that may get into political waters which are not the subject here. ;) But maybe Michelle will give an interview and let us know.

In any event, it is good to see Michelle doing so well in her career. There is life after skating.:biggrin:

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Ambassadorships are all over the place. A lot of them go to career diplomats, especially when it comes to countries that are smaller or that the US has more complicated relationships with.

The really high profile posts in countries where the US has a difficult relationship with (Russia and China come to mind) the appointee is usually political and usually someone who had an impressive political career (the last four ambassadors to China have been either governors or senators, and the current nominee is a former ambassador to NATO and a former undersecretary of State).

But a lot of the ambassadorships with countries that are both stable and which whom the US has a cordial relationship go to reward either donors and/or people who may want to run for office in the future. Belize is a relatively "easy" country to be US ambassador to, so it's a good job to give to someone who might be interested in starting a political career but who doesn't have experience.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Michelle’s after-skating life includes an advanced degree in international studies & multiple diplomatic/political assignments that have taken her around the world. Very likely, the Belize appointment has more to do with getting her started as an ambassador (in the most suitable available country) than linking that to a long-ago skating location. She would have to have success in this first appointment to be ready for a higher-profile ambassadorship.

Michelle has known the Bidens ever since she worked as a part-time good-will sports envoy in the Obama administration. Here she is with Joe Biden in a 2008 picture, I think from Boise, Idaho, officiating at a Special Olympics event. (Don't be misled by the date on the caption. ;) )

Though far from a "career diplomat," Michelle has had some interesting experiences in the political arena. She got her start as a protoge of Condoleeza Rice, Secretary of State for George W. Bush (although, I think Bush was actually morte of a Sasha Cohen fan. :) ) She learned a lot abput grass roots campaigning when her then-husband ran (insucesfully) for governor of Rhode Island, and she was very visible and active on behalf of the candidacy of Hillary Clinton in 2016.

This is cool. I agrere with poster @Near above that this is not the most challenging of assignments. (It is possible, though, that some issues of immigration from countries in that area into the U.S. will have to be attended to.) At least English is the official language, although most Belizians also speak some form of native Creole mixed with Spanish, I believe.

Anyway, very cool news. Go, Michelle!

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Congratulations to Michelle on her nomination!

This is apparently a picture of the U.S. Embassy residential compound area in Belize. It looks pretty nice.

Belmopan-Pool_Small.jpg

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Michelle on her nomination!

This is apparently a picture of the U.S. Embassy in Belize. It looks pretty nice.

According to the company's website, that is a portion of the residential compound developed for embassy workers. Which needless to say would include a pool.

From the state department website, the actual embassy looks a tad more ambassadorial::)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
First, MK should sue over that terrible pic of her on Yahoo! LOL!
Second, what better place to spend a winter! Beach, jungles, birds!
Third, I am sure this is a stepping stone for her to go up the ladder.
Fourth, like many places in the US and South America and elsewhere, all is not rainbows and unicorns there.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
She will need to maintain at least a part-time residence.
I finally sold off my beachfront lots that my parents bought in Belize in the 80s. The water level has increased, and in 20 years the 'beach' will be unrecognizable. Belize is pretty though. But I prefer Costa Rica or Puerto Vallarta. Should someone send Michelle a copy of "The Mosquito Coast"? lol