Michelle Kwan nominated for ambassadorship to Belize | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan nominated for ambassadorship to Belize

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I finally sold off my beachfront lots that my parents bought in Belize in the 80s. The water level has increased, and in 20 years the 'beach' will be unrecognizable. Belize is pretty though. But I prefer Costa Rica or Puerto Vallarta. Should someone send Michelle a copy of "The Mosquito Coast"? lol
Costa Rica is nice but yes, even there, drug gangs are making headway... :(

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Costa Rica is nice but yes, even there, drug gangs are making headway... :(
It is really sad to see this as it was way better than many countries...and got alot of tourists....but the times they are achangin' ....let's hope MK doesnt have to deal with this in Belize. "Costa Rican Minister of Public Security, José María Tijerino Pacheco, has stated that without aid and intervention from nations such as the United States, “...the region is going to degenerate into another Mexico.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Costa_Rica

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
The really high profile posts in countries where the US has a difficult relationship with (Russia and China come to mind) the appointee is usually political and usually someone who had an impressive political career (the last four ambassadors to China have been either governors or senators, and the current nominee is a former ambassador to NATO and a former undersecretary of State).
as a citizen of Russia, I would prefer Michelle to become the US Ambassador to our country. Perhaps this would somehow change the relationship for the better.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What it's like to be a U.S. Ambassador

Alan Solomont, a former U.S. Ambassador to Spain, discusses what it is like to be a U.S. Ambassador. Some interesting insights.

Thanks for posting: This is a very interesting take from a “political“ appointee who was serious and responsible about an assignment to a country with which he had little connection previously.

much like I am sure Michelle will be. :)

Icey

Record Breaker
Queen Elizabeth is the Queen of Belize. I don't recall ever reading she has ever visited there.
What has Michelle been doing work-wise since her marriage ended?
I'm from S.C. and read, sometime after her marriage ended, she had been in a car accident on one of the interstate highways leading to Columbia, SC. She wasn't injured, just shaken up. I wondered, then, why she was in SC.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Queen Elizabeth is the Queen of Belize. I don't recall ever reading she has ever visited there.
What has Michelle been doing work-wise since her marriage ended?
I'm from S.C. and read, sometime after her marriage ended, she had been in a car accident on one of the interstate highways leading to Columbia, SC. She wasn't injured, just shaken up. I wondered, then, why she was in SC.
Michelle worked throughout her marriage, I’m not sure why that is your starting point? I think one of the posts above has her resume, including her work with the state department and on political campaigns.

ETA: I apologize, it was in the State of the US Women's Thread:

I believe she was working on a Presidential political campaign in South Carolina at the time of the accident.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Michelle has been busy with her education, and with a variety of work ever since she stopped skating competitively, including exhaustive work on political campaigns. She worked on Hillary's presidential bid in 2016, in addition to coming out for Biden very early on in the recent presidential race.

MK continued her work with the U.S. state department (as a Public Diplomacy Envoy, and with expanded duties under Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton) during the Obama presidency, in addition to her work on athletic boards and with the Special Olympics (which may be how she came into contact with the Bidens and got to know them).

Michelle has also received honorary doctorates, and spoken at commencements, in addition to staying in contact with the skating community and with her many fans around the world. She's an inspiring role model, and a rare living legend. I'm happy to see that she is achieving greater rewards and fulfillment in her professional career, and in her personal life.

She posts on Instagram and Twitter, if you are interested in finding out more fun lifestyle details, including pics with and about her precious pooch, and sweet tributes to her Mom (whom she's very close to).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ambassadors are presidential appointments requiring senate confirmation, and have to resign when the president leaves office.
They HAVE to resign??? I knew that certainly the current president could replace them
Ambassadors are presidential appointments requiring senate confirmation, and have to resign when the president leaves office.
Thanks! I did not know that they had to resign en mass on inaugeration day. I always thought that they all knew they would be replaced by the next president as its a patronage job (see even senior ambassadors like those to the UK) but I would have thought the next POTUS would have spread out the confirmations. I suppose the acting ambassadors take up the load. see Chargé d'Affaires ad interim . Evidently, it is customery to tender resignations. "While all ambassadors serve at the president's pleasure and may be dismissed at any time, career diplomats usually serve tours of roughly three years before receiving a new assignment; political appointees customarily tender their resignations upon the inauguration of a new president.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

That's not entirely correct. Only some ambassadors are presidential appointments, the rest come from career civil service. Generally, it's split about 1/3 appointed, 2/3 career diplomat....but the previous guy #45 had a much larger percentage of appointments. While ambassadors require Senate confirmation, usually it's only the high profile people (or country destinations) that get much scrutiny. In recent years, the process has become so politicized that posts can be vacant for a long time because nominations are slow and confirmations are held up. Will be interesting to see how Michelle's confirmation goes, hopefully success without too much drama.

While presidential appointees generally do resign when their appointer leaves office, career Foreign Service ambassadors do not, they stay at post until their rotation is up, at which point they will be reassigned somewhere else.

At least Michelle has an academic background in international relations and diplomacy, plus her work as a Public Diplomacy Envoy. That is more relevant than most typical presidential appointees.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ambassadors don't have to have a connection to the country they are appointed to. They rarely do. Often, the appointments are in return for donations or support. Appointees may or may not have some background in diplomacy or foreign affairs. Michelle actually does, having been a goodwill ambassador for the U.S. and having received a Master's from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Congratulations to Michelle! She is the epitome of class. She never bashed a competitor or coach, and always handled herself with such dignity. There will truly never be another like Kwan.

Was it Sandra Bezic that In 2002 told her she is bigger than fighter skating ? She was correct.