Mira Leung aims to surprise the world (top 8) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mira Leung aims to surprise the world (top 8)

Once they step into the senior scene they'll have to work their way back up
Really, is that what you perceived Yu Na doing this year and Mao last year?

Luckily Ladies skating does not have the rigid ranks of ice dancing. I think the younguns will beat Emily easily and frankly Kimmie is none too secure either. Of course we don't know what time will do to them, but it looks like a great crop.

Past junior worlds winners are:

McDonagh (2002) - silver Nakano, bronze Ando
Ota (2003) - silver Ando, bronze Kostner
Miki (2004) - silver Kimmie, bronze Katy
Mao (2005) - silver Yu Na, bronze Emily
Yu Na (2006) - silver Mao, bronze Zukowski

Do those results seem irrelevant to senior-level competition to you? And btw - take a look: Ando is not a flash in the pan. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Really, is that what you perceived Yu Na doing this year and Mao last year?

Luckily Ladies skating does not have the rigid ranks of ice dancing. I think the younguns will beat Emily easily and frankly Kimmie is none too secure either. Of course we don't know what time will do to them, but it looks like a great crop.

Past junior worlds winners are:

McDonagh (2002) - silver Nakano, bronze Ando
Ota (2003) - silver Ando, bronze Kostner
Miki (2004) - silver Kimmie, bronze Katy
Mao (2005) - silver Yu Na, bronze Emily
Yu Na (2006) - silver Mao, bronze Zukowski

Do those results seem irrelevant to senior-level competition to you? And btw - take a look: Ando is not a flash in the pan. :biggrin:

Looking at that chart you posted, I see two things:

1) Asada and Kim really are taking things to the next level by attempting the difficult jumps AND having enough presentation. In addition, they are coming in at a time when all of the veterans have either retired or pseudo-retired. They went straight to being contenders at the top level.

2) Take a look at everyone else, though. Especially Ando. (And did I EVER say Ando was a "flash in the pan"? No.) A lot of people were writing her off as someone who failed to deliver. Same with Kostner. Eventually (and this is after about a 3-4yr. period) they won a major championship. While that may not sound like a long time, given their strengths in the juniors they were expected to rise quickly. Some rise quicker than others. (Whatever happened to Yukina Ota, BTW?)

I'm saying that we don't know how these new US "phenoms" will transition over to seniors. I get the feeling some folks are expecting instant results. I also get the feeling that to some extent, they might be disappointed and some skaters may be even subject to the same "crucifying" that Ando and Kostner got.

Meissner's nothing to laugh at, either- while she may not be at the level of the Asians she sure is better than everyone else at the current time, including Hughes. But she is somewhat more vulnerable than Kwan and Cohen were to being overtaken...she needs to find the complete package QUICKLY (or hope for mistakes from those above her) if she wants to repeat again at worlds.

The Asians are dominant now. Everyone else is playing catch-up. The Americans who think this Caroline Zhang and Marai (sp?) Nagasu will step up to fill she shoes of Kwan and Cohen are asking an awful lot...and might be setting their hopes a bit high. Remember puberty as well. Don't be shocked or disappointed if it takes them a couple years...(or even worse...:eek: )

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Kimmie had Rachael's arms and musical expression, she'd be more competitive with the Asians. OTOH, Rachael needs more experience and seasoning. If she had Kimmie's experience and seasoning, she'd be competitive with the Asians, too.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
If Kimmie had Rachael's arms and musical expression, she'd be more competitive with the Asians. OTOH, Rachael needs more experience and seasoning. If she had Kimmie's experience and seasoning, she'd be competitive with the Asians, too.

The difference here is Talent vs. Training.

I just don't think it's in Kimmie's blood to be a brilliant artist. Those qualities are never going to come to her. Rachael might have that innate, ability, I'm not sure...but experience is certainly something that WILL come to her.

~Z

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Exactly.

But that said, you never know how one will develop over the years.

passion

On the Ice
Is it polish, attitude or talent that is holding her back?

All of the above. Lack of polish, attitude of blame someone or something and attitude of denial, attitude of I'm great and the world revolves around me. And finally, talent that has been mismanaged by Mama Leung and Mira's own stubborness.

Nigel

On the Ice
The difference here is Talent vs. Training.

I just don't think it's in Kimmie's blood to be a brilliant artist. Those qualities are never going to come to her. Rachael might have that innate, ability, I'm not sure...but experience is certainly something that WILL come to her.

~Z

Looking at Flatt's bio at USFS, interestingly enough, she has had one year each at US novice, junior and senior championships, one NAC event, and Triglav Trophy(as a novice in 2005) and a few weeks ago, one other international event in Holland (competed as a junior due to the age thing). I am speculating that sending Flatt out with Mirai this fall to the JGP series will only strengthen and "season" their skating, much in the same way that Meissner, Hughes, Czisny and others have evolved over their careers as international competitors. Getting out in front of an audience, both here in the US and abroad, challenges skaters to develop their skills for performance. Looking forward to the fall season! How many days till the first JGP???

Is one country's audience more difficult to perform in front of than another? Are some audiences more subdued than others?