Mira Leung aims to surprise the world (top 8) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mira Leung aims to surprise the world (top 8)

lutzskate

On the Ice
How come Joannie and Mira arrived so late and didn't get the chance to practice in Japan??? Canada can't afford the hotel room for a couple of more days? It's just stupid to do that for World.

according to CBC commentators, it was Mira's choice to arrive so late.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
according to CBC commentators, it was Mira's choice to arrive so late.

Mira is behaving like Tonya Kwiatkowski--minus the jumps and half of :chorus: the presentation (yes, many would say Tonya didn't have good presentation--but compared to Mira, Tonya might as well have been Janet Lynn or Karen Magnussen).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In her last try at Worlds, Tonia Kwiatkowski finished 6th. I am beginning to doubt that Mira will ever place anywhere near that high. She turns 18 in a few weeks, and it seems that her social and emotional development stalled at the age of 9 or 10.

blue dog

Record Breaker
In her last try at Worlds, Tonia Kwiatkowski finished 6th. I am beginning to doubt that Mira will ever place anywhere near that high. She turns 18 in a few weeks, and it seems that her social and emotional development stalled at the age of 9 or 10.

Oops I meant to say Tonya Harding! Blaming problems on her coach, thinking what she put out there deserved higher marks, that kind of thing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That last interview just shows how spoiled, brattish,infantile and delusional Mira really is. I can't imagine any coach that would want to work with her after reading that.

She is the polar opposite of Kimmie Meissner, and guess which one has won National and World championships?

blue dog

Record Breaker
That last interview just shows how spoiled, brattish,infantile and delusional Mira really is. I can't imagine any coach that would want to work with her after reading that.

She is the polar opposite of Kimmie Meissner, and guess which one has won National and World championships?

Maybe Mira should work with someone like Jutta Mueller, Jana Gromova, or Richard Callaghan--those three are known as tough, no-nonsense coaches. Living away from Mrs. Leung could also help her.

Kasey

Medalist
Well, no matter how badly Mira does (and so far she has done badly, in fourth place out of the four who have skated so far), if Joannie can pull up to 12th place, I believe they still would have two skaters for next year.

Kasey

Medalist
I blew the first half of my prediction that Mira leung would squeeze into top 10, but the second half of my prediction is still valid.

I mean, I'm shocked, shocked that Joannie is official in league with Mira Leung! Even PCS is closer than ever.

And...the second half of your prediction was blown out of the water as well. Can you say LAST and "barely enough to hang on to the slots for next year"?

lutzskate

On the Ice
I think you'll see Mira leave Joanne Mcleod again. She definitley needs an attitude adjustment. She needs to take a lesson from Jennifer Robinson. When she finished in the bottom of the pack, she didn't blame the judges and she didn't blame her coaches. She realized what she needed to do to improve and she worked her *ss off to do it. She recognized the value in self-reflection. Mira's problem is that she thinks she's better than she is. She's got a lot of work to do - stronger jumps, better stroking technique (no "bobbing"), and a new stylist (perhaps some make-up?). The question is, will she listen to anyone? Perhaps she should go and work with Doug Leigh, who helped Jen Robinson improve so much - or maybe she should go and train in the States where the standard of skating is much higher than where she has been training. Brian Orser seems to have done great things with Yu-Na, although I wouldn't wish Mira on Brian!

I'm so thrilled for Joannie. 5th best free skate out of a lot of very talented young ladies. Well done! Earlier she had mentioned in training (they showed it on CBC) that she felt that she didn't need the triple-triple combination if her spins and choreography earned her more marks. I think the whole female skating world has now been sent a wake-up call - you need a triple-triple - or more than one 3-3 combo - if you want to be on the podium because the best in the world now have the technical AND the choreography. Skate Canada better start pushing their young female skaters harder to raise the bar, or else Canada will be left in the dust.

Skate Canada also has to recognize that Mira Leung is not their second-best bet for worlds. They need to give some other younger skaters the experience. The question is - who? Who is there right now, who is attempting triple-triple combinations? Pairs have "the next one" - they have arrived -Dube and Davison. Dance has their "next one" - Virtue and Moir, who also served notice in this worlds. The men have Christopher Mabee and possibly Shawn Sawyer if he can get his jumps stronger. Who is there for the women? Why are we, in recent years, so weak in Canadian women? The field just isn't there. Female skaters from all over the world come to Canada and take advantage of our coaches and our choreographers, but the Canadian women aren't following suit. I think the blame has to go to Skate Canada. They have to push them earlier and they have to be harsher - your spins suck honey!

Last edited:

passion

On the Ice
Mira's problem is that she thinks she's better than she is.

Skate Canada also has to recognize that Mira Leung is not their second-best bet for worlds. They need to give some other younger skaters the experience.

Female skaters from all over the world come to Canada and take advantage of our coaches and our choreographers, but the Canadian women aren't following suit. I think the blame has to go to Skate Canada. They have to push them earlier and they have to be harsher - your spins suck honey!

You brought up some very interesting points. First, I agree that Mira thinks she is better than she is. Someone on this site or some people thought she was delusional and I didn't pay much attention to those comments, but now I am really beginning to believe that she might be delusional. I'm just shocked not only by her placements, but by the fact that she saw nothing wrong with her short program. I still remeber her saying that her presentation is better than Elvis Stoyko and that she is more like Yagudin! Wow! Delusional! HOW DID MIRA BECOME SO DELUSIONAL? My theory is that she and her mom isolate themselves from the rest of the world. What do you think? I think Mira's decision to opt out of early practices in Tokyo are another example of isolation. It doesn't work.

Second point, I think this is a wake up call not only for the Leung team, but for Skate Canada. I think this is a learning experience for the organization. What they are going to do I don't know, but they have to stop spending so much of their energy and money on Mira and opening their eyes to perhaps Lesley Hawker (?). BTW, is Mira automatically going to the Olympics since she already got sponsorship and media coverage on the subject matter? The media seems to assume (and maybe Skate Canada, too) that she will be there.

Third point, Canada obviously has the resources to produce top skaters (coaches and choreographers). Something is not matching up.

lutzskate

On the Ice
Second point, I think this is a wake up call not only for the Leung team, but for Skate Canada. I think this is a learning experience for the organization. What they are going to do I don't know, but they have to stop spending so much of their energy and money on Mira and opening their eyes to perhaps Lesley Hawker (?). BTW, is Mira automatically going to the Olympics since she already got sponsorship and media coverage on the subject matter? The media seems to assume (and maybe Skate Canada, too) that she will be there.

God help us if they send her to the Olympics! Send Lesley! Or with any luck Cynthia will be back in form by then. The judges used to love her presentation and skating skills.

I also think that other countries breed a stronger work ethic in their skaters. Look at the Japanese women. The Japanese federation is brutal to a skater who does not perform to the high standard they set - and by that I mean international placements - not what they can do on the training ice. Now I'm not saying that I would want Skate Canada to be that harsh to its skaters, but they do need to start setting the bar higher in order for funding to come through - international results not national results.

Last edited:

blue dog

Record Breaker
God help us if they send her to the Olympics! Send Lesley! Or with any luck Cynthia will be back in form by then. The judges used to love her presentation and skating skills.

I also think that other countries breed a stronger work ethic in their skaters. Look at the Japanese women. The Japanese federation is brutal to a skater who does not perform to the high standard they set - and by that I mean international placements - not what they can do on the training ice. Now I'm not saying that I would want Skate Canada to be that harsh to its skaters, but they do need to start setting the bar higher in order for funding to come through - international results not national results.

Yeah, I'm surprised that they get sponsorship. Even US sponsors would've pulled funding by now--with what Mira did.

lutzskate

On the Ice
Yeah, I'm surprised that they get sponsorship. Even US sponsors would've pulled funding by now--with what Mira did.

...and what Mira SAYS! I honestly don't think she has any idea how she comes across to the public, and she may not care, but it can be very lonely without the support of fans and federation.

Last edited:

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
international placements - not what they can do on the training ice. Now I'm not saying that I would want Skate Canada to be that harsh to its skaters, but they do need to start setting the bar higher in order for funding to come through - international results not national results.

who actually placed higher than Mira internationally except Joannie? You seem to have forgotten 2006 Olys and worlds. Cynthia was a disastrous 15th at her most touted 4cc debut. To send a lady who can only manage 3t and 3s is not going to get her the PCS. Lesley hawkey is also going no where. The Jr. lady(can't recall her name) bombed horribly at Jr. worlds. The reality is there's no one who can place higher than Mira except Joannie. You sound like there are a bunch of very promising Jr. ladies in waiting. There is really NO when Jr. Canadian champion can't manage a 3lutz.

We'll just wait and see what's going to happen next season.

Canadian skaters need to learn jumps from little kids, not just artistry, spins, footwork. If you read joannie's interview, she actually admitted this problem.

Last edited:

lutzskate

On the Ice
who actually placed higher than Mira internationally except Joannie? You seem to have forgotten 2006 Olys and worlds. Cynthia was a disastrous 15th at her most touted 4cc debut. To send a lady who can only manage 3t and 3s is not going to get her the PCS. Lesley hawkey is also going no where. The Jr. lady(can't recall her name) bombed horribly at Jr. worlds. The reality is there's no one who can place higher than Mira except Joannie. You sound like there are a bunch of very promising Jr. ladies in waiting. There is really NO when Jr. Canadian champion can't manage a 3lutz.

Canadian skaters need to learn jumps from little kids, not just artistry, spins, footwork. If you read joannie's interview, she actually admitted this problem.

Canadian skaters need to learn jumps from little kids, not just artistry, spins, footwork. I completely agree with you. There is no one else. That is exactly my point as I have been saying in other posts. I have not forgotten Cynthia's placement; (in fact I think Cynthia may have missed her opportunity when she elected not to go to Worlds when she won.) I think you misunderstood. Skate Canada needs to set the bar higher! Demand more from the novice and junior ladies. Make them try the triple triples. Get the message out to coaches. Decrease funding if standards in competitions are not met. I agree with what you said, and I did not mean to give the impression otherwise.

Melody

Rinkside
Canadian skaters need to learn jumps from little kids, not just artistry, spins, footwork. I completely agree with you. There is no one else. That is exactly my point as I have been saying in other posts. I have not forgotten Cynthia's placement; (in fact I think Cynthia may have missed her opportunity when she elected not to go to Worlds when she won.) I think you misunderstood. Skate Canada needs to set the bar higher! Demand more from the novice and junior ladies. Make them try the triple triples. Get the message out to coaches. Decrease funding if standards in competitions are not met. I agree with what you said, and I did not mean to give the impression otherwise.

Just to clarify, Cynthia has been at 4Cs twice, first time was in 2004 when she was the silver medallist there, 2nd time was 2007, her first season back after injuries and a major growth spurt.

lutzskate

On the Ice
Just to clarify, Cynthia has been at 4Cs twice, first time was in 2004 when she was the silver medallist there, 2nd time was 2007, her first season back after injuries and a major growth spurt.

Yes, I know that. I fear she may have missed her opportunity, but I really hope I'm wrong because I love her skating. I would love to see her come back and reclaim her title, or at least her spot on the world team.

euterpe

Medalist
Give Cynthia a chance. She was returning after a long absence, injury and a huge growth spurt (she is now about 5'7"--4 inches taller than she was in 2004). Let's see how she does this coming season. At least Cynthia knows the work ahead of her and is willing to give it a try.

Mira refuses to recognize that she is responsible for her failure this season, not the judges and not her coach. She did things HER way, and she finished dead last. Mira has to change, and that is unlikely given her small universe (herself and her mother), but it is still possible. If she doesn't change and continues to see herself as perfect, then Skate Canada should wash its hands of her.

Maybe Lesley Hawker is no great shakes, but I am sure she would have made the FS, and would not have finished 24th.