Mira Leung article - she is ready for the new season! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mira Leung article - she is ready for the new season!

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
I have grown to like Rochette's skating. That said, I am mentally prepared for Leung to overtake her if Rochette is sub-par. (Most likely at an Asian or European event!) I think U. S. and Canadians are a bit prejudiced because of Leung's coaching/parent/contentious controversies--and thus would hesitate to place her over Rochette under most any situation.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. If Mira became Canadian champion, she and her mother might then get the idea that they no longer had to listen to Skate Canada or her coach. Skate Canada isn't going to be too comfortable with a potential situation like that.

Rochette is a much better skater than Mira anyway. Her basics are good, and she doesn't have a problem with underrotation.

passion

On the Ice
Yes, Mira's carriage is better and she uses her arms better---right up to the time she prepares for a jump. Then the arms and shoulders droop forward, the head arches up and back, and the illusion of refinement is lost. And this is the preparation for every jump in her repertoire.

Caroline Zhang loses some of her grace and mars her transitions when she mule-kicks her lutz and flip, but the rest of her jumps are smoothly executed.

The difference between Leung and Zhang is that Leung is 18 and Zhang, only 14. There's time for Zhang to fix her awkward technique. I'm afraid time is running out for Leung. The longer a bad habit is allowed to remain in place, the more difficult it is to fix it.

I think another big difference between Leung and Zhang is that Zhang has the "x" factor I was talking about. She has natural movement and natural grace and polish even though she does have some technical problems with her flip and lutz. I think this aspect of her skating is what places Zhang over Leung even at the tender age of 14. When Mira was 14, she did not have half of what Zhang has now. I don't even think Mira's skating skills were as good as Zhang's is now (and Zhang could still improve on those).

Last edited:

scorekeeper

On the Ice
Leung does many things well, but her jump technique (thanks for breaking it down so neatly, chuckm) spoils her overall performance, like Liashenko telegraphing every jump, Yukari Nakano's leg-wrap, or Diana Póth pointing her her chin up with every takeoff.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I agree. If Mira became Canadian champion, she and her mother might then get the idea that they no longer had to listen to Skate Canada or her coach. Skate Canada isn't going to be too comfortable with a potential situation like that.

Rochette is a much better skater than Mira anyway. Her basics are good, and she doesn't have a problem with underrotation.

Although it is nice to see Mira making an effort to improve, and particularly nice to see her care about her physical appearance, what I saw in the first 2 GP events as well as the judges scores, would indicate Mira is no threat still to Joannie for the Canadian title. Joannie again will have a large cushion of error, and hopefully she doesnt use it and gives a confidence and inspired performance ala 2005, but even if not it is unlikely to matter.

Also while Mira is making an effort to improve Lesley is making one too based on what I saw at Skate Canada. Unfortuantely too many mistakes there, but if she can skate well at Canadians I thinks he has a chance vs Mira for that 2nd spot. Cynthia wasnt that far behind Lesley at Skate Canada, but watching her go up for some of those jumps was almost scary, she didnt look any more comfortable jumping with her new body then she did 8 months ago which isnt cause for optimism, nor the judges PCS for her (given that is supposed to be her biggest strength).

krenseby

Final Flight
Although it is nice to see Mira making an effort to improve, and particularly nice to see her care about her physical appearance, what I saw in the first 2 GP events as well as the judges scores, would indicate Mira is no threat still to Joannie for the Canadian title. Joannie again will have a large cushion of error, and hopefully she doesnt use it and gives a confidence and inspired performance ala 2005, but even if not it is unlikely to matter.

Also while Mira is making an effort to improve Lesley is making one too based on what I saw at Skate Canada. Unfortuantely too many mistakes there, but if she can skate well at Canadians I thinks he has a chance vs Mira for that 2nd spot. Cynthia wasnt that far behind Lesley at Skate Canada, but watching her go up for some of those jumps was almost scary, she didnt look any more comfortable jumping with her new body then she did 8 months ago which isnt cause for optimism, nor the judges PCS for her (given that is supposed to be her biggest strength).

You have to keep in mind that sometimes skaters who are great end up coming behind ones that aren't so great.

When Kwan wasn't on, she could lose to Butyrskaya. When Asada's not one she can do horribly either in the SP or in the LP or both.

My point is that a decent skate from Joannie will beat Mira, but Joannie isn't consistent enough to exclude all possibility of Mira winning.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Kwan wasn't on, she could lose to Butyrskaya. When Asada's not one she can do horribly either in the SP or in the LP or both.

Kwan lost to Butyrskaya because she had a bad case of the flu.

Asada's growth spurt (which began last season) has made her 3A more unreliable than it used to be, and lately she's been dinged for underrotating the 3L and for her flutz. She toe-axels her 3T and that's why she doesn't use toe loops in her programs. I have no idea why she doesn't use the salchow, but maybe that is a problem jump for her.

Mao is having to adjust to a new body, some problems with her basic skating (flutzing and underrotation) are now being penalized because of the stricter enforcement of new and old rules, and the lack of variety in her jumps make it difficult for her to avoid the deductions. But even when Asada skates 'horribly', she's still pretty good.