Mirai injured?? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mirai injured??

janetfan

Match Penalty
Nope, Caroline's actually been refreshingly straightforward in her criticism of her own skating and addressing these issues (check the new article on IceNetwork about her)...I'm not sure what fairly4 is even thinking about but to be honest it appears as though they're just one of those people who just think everyone's out to make excuses...:sheesh:

I was kidding because fairly is a big Caroline fan.

Like Mirai, Caroline had a big growth spurt and has had a few injuries.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I was kidding because fairly is a big Caroline fan.

Like Mirai, Caroline had a big growth spurt and has had a few injuries.

Mirai's growthspurt was much more drastic than Caroline's. She went from 4'7" in 07 to 5'5" now, Caroline went from 4'9" in 07 to 5'3" now.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai's growthspurt was much more drastic than Caroline's. She went from 4'7" in 07 to 5'5" now, Caroline went from 4'9" in 07 to 5'3" now.

You recently said Mirai is 5'3. You noted she is not as tall as Yuna and Mao. Did Mirai just grow another two inches? Maybe the boot she is wearing for her injury makes her look taller :)

BTW, Michelle grew 2 inches one off season and struggled the next year. Frank said he had to rework her jumps.

Caroline and Mira both had a considerably larger growth spurt than Michelle and had a much bigger adjustment to make.
Frank said he had to almost start over with Mirai's jumps.

And I believe Caroline is now 5'7 - the same height as Plushy. So maybe she will be able to do quads now :p If not she is still much cuter than Plushy ;)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Mirai and Caroline are both listed at IceNetwork as 5' 4". I saw Caroline last year at the Boxborough, MA ice show. I didn't have my tape measure, but I doubt she was 5' 7".

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai and Caroline are both listed at IceNetwork as 5' 4". I saw Caroline last year at the Boxborough, MA ice show. I didn't have my tape measure, but I doubt she was 5' 7".

You doubt her height - but you believe she will do a quad :eek: :)

For some reason Caroline looks very tall to me--well, tall for a skater--while Mirai does not. It might be the proportion of their faces and their limbs. I've never been lucky enough to see either one in person. I do hope Caroline revives her previously stellar career. I'd love for both these skaters to make the world podium in this Olympic cycle.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't believe I ever heard anyone predict Caroline will do a quad.

....was a joke, the 5'7, the quad ..... :)

It looks like Caroline and Mirai are both close to the 5'4 that we have seen listed.
I remember Caroline does have a sister who is tall - maybe 5'8 - so it is possible Caroline is not done growing.

Hope she has a great year - and looking forward to seeing her skate this season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You recently said Mirai is 5'3. You noted she is not as tall as Yuna and Mao. Did Mirai just grow another two inches? Maybe the boot she is wearing for her injury makes her look taller :)

BTW, Michelle grew 2 inches one off season and struggled the next year. Frank said he had to rework her jumps.

Caroline and Mira both had a considerably larger growth spurt than Michelle and had a much bigger adjustment to make.
Frank said he had to almost start over with Mirai's jumps.

And I believe Caroline is now 5'7 - the same height as Plushy. So maybe she will be able to do quads now :p If not she is still much cuter than Plushy ;)

Mirai is listed as 5'5" on several websites, and her isu says she is 164 cm, while Caroline's isu bio says she is 158 cm. I don't trust icenetwork because so many of their stats are wrong about several skaters. And Mao and Yuna both look about 5'6", likely their heights just haven't been updated in awhile, so Mirai probably is 5'5". Caroline has pretty short legs and arms so I doubt she's 5'4", or 5'7" for that matter, Mirai has longer arms and legs than Caroline so she definitely looks taller than her IMO.

And Plushy's 5'10" and I doubt Caroline will ever do a quad. Although Sasha was landing 4s at one time and her jumps weren't so hot either so who knows

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mirai's also just turned 17 so it's possible she grew 2 inches recently, a lot of girls are still growing at that age. But I found this picture, http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/images/nationals/us 2010 SLA 7406.JPG , and well Rachael and Sasha are supposedly 5'1"-5'2", and Ashley 5'2"-5'3", so Mirai really doesn't look anywhere close to 5'5" because she doesn't look much taller than any of the other girls, more like 5'3"-5'4" max, but if this is really her height than why are there a lot of sites that claim she's as tall as 5'5"? It's annoying how unrealiable internet sources can be, celebrities do the same thing, add like 2 inches to their actual height, like they have a problem with their normal heights.

But essentially the point of this post is that Caroline probably is around 158cm, because she and Mirai are close to the same size, and Mirai's listing as 164cm is probably wrong, and so therefore because Mirai is likely not as tall as some internet sources like to say, her growthspurt was likely not substantially bigger than Caroline's growthspurt, so they are comparable in that sense.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
I am not a caroline zhang fan. I don't like DELIBERATE CHEATING IN Sports any kind of sports.
play favorites. the figure skating fan encourages cheating for their favorites over another. fans can't handle when someone points out something their non-favorite fan does over the favorite.
i just don't like it when the skaters keeps using a ready made excuse for why they skate bad instead of admitting they are human.
this is mirai 3rd years doing this.
i did like mirai as a 14 year old, but now that she is keeping a pattern of injury excuse . my backing for her is dwindling.
like most people can go to work and complain constantly use injury constantly why they can't do their job. they can get a way with it for a while but not for long and not constantly.

fairly4

Medalist
also because the biased judging is mainly against zhang, i have to defend her. if more biased judging was against mirai, i would defend her, but she gets benefit of doubt. so i don't have to defend her that much. and her talking is showing her personality more and some of it i don't like . so i dont have to defend her
zhang doesn't get the benefit of doubt i have to defend doesnt talk to medai much so i don't know her personality.
sorry i don't go by what people say on boards because of bias toward the favorite skater
they fans will say one thing to make their skater look good/sound good at the expense of the non-favorite skater.
i defend the downtrodden

Eris

On the Ice
So, she should keep silent about her injury and go to JO with it, risking her own health and her further career that no one could say she used an injury as an excuse. Great idea. :eek:hwell:

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Mirai has not missed any significant competitions. A stress fracture is nothing to mess around with. Mirai and her team are smart to let her completely heal before skating again. She had trouble at Nationals a couple years ago because she wouldn't take time to heal. I think she has gained wisdom in being prudent about her physical condition.

janetfan

Match Penalty
also because the biased judging is mainly against zhang, i have to defend her. if more biased judging was against mirai, i would defend her, but she gets benefit of doubt. so i don't have to defend her that much. and her talking is showing her personality more and some of it i don't like . so i dont have to defend her
zhang doesn't get the benefit of doubt i have to defend doesnt talk to medai much so i don't know her personality.
sorry i don't go by what people say on boards because of bias toward the favorite skater
they fans will say one thing to make their skater look good/sound good at the expense of the non-favorite skater.
i defend the downtrodden

I defend the downtrodden too - especially my own posts :laugh:

But in this post you do seem to be dending Caroline and as far as I recall you always defend Caroline.:cool: Since Caroline has only seemed downtrodden for the past season it feels like you are her fan. If not, it;'s OK and I believe you.

But poor Mirai is injured right now. That is a little like being downtrodden and yet you do not defend her but attack her for faking.

I am confused - don't take it personally, it is my normal state of mind :biggrin:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I am not a caroline zhang fan. I don't like DELIBERATE CHEATING IN Sports any kind of sports.
play favorites. the figure skating fan encourages cheating for their favorites over another. fans can't handle when someone points out something their non-favorite fan does over the favorite.
i just don't like it when the skaters keeps using a ready made excuse for why they skate bad instead of admitting they are human.
this is mirai 3rd years doing this.
i did like mirai as a 14 year old, but now that she is keeping a pattern of injury excuse . my backing for her is dwindling.
like most people can go to work and complain constantly use injury constantly why they can't do their job. they can get a way with it for a while but not for long and not constantly.

Haven't you considered that Mirai might just be injury prone? That's what I have always assumed, she gets hurt easily, and given how much she grew over the past few years, it's totally understanable. There are always a lot of injuries in skating, and even when Mirai is injured, she still competes.

I find Mirai's situation totally different than someone like Kimmie's or Emily's because despite being injured she always continues to compete. Kimmie and Emily OTOH have been "injured" for the past 3 seasons and lost a lot of their skills, and have never come back to actually compete an entire season. Those two, yeah I'd say they are using injuries as excuses to not compete or to compete poorly, but that is not the case with Mirai. Despite her injuries she keeps improving and maturing, so clearly she wants to be a top skater and is strong enough to tough it out and compete even when she's hurt and manage to even make progress while being injured. She's tough.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd rather Nagasu go this route rather than go the Lipinski route of pushing, pushing, pushing and suddenly have her career cut tragically short by a career-ending injury. Pick your poison, I suppose.

Haven't you considered that Mirai might just be injury prone? That's what I have always assumed, she gets hurt easily, and given how much she grew over the past few years, it's totally understanable. There are always a lot of injuries in skating, and even when Mirai is injured, she still competes.

I find Mirai's situation totally different than someone like Kimmie's or Emily's because despite being injured she always continues to compete. Kimmie and Emily OTOH have been "injured" for the past 3 seasons and lost a lot of their skills, and have never come back to actually compete an entire season. Those two, yeah I'd say they are using injuries as excuses to not compete or to compete poorly, but that is not the case with Mirai. Despite her injuries she keeps improving and maturing, so clearly she wants to be a top skater and is strong enough to tough it out and compete even when she's hurt and manage to even make progress while being injured. She's tough.

I agree with your first paragraph. Some athletes, though talented, have some weak point physically. I think Yagudin was supposed to have a congenital hip problem, which probably wouldn't have bothered him at all if he had been a couch potato or even a champion swimmer. Runner Mary Decker at one point held every middle distance track record in the U.S., but she was said to be "glass from the knees down." And then there's the talented but physically unlucky Naomi Nari Nam. This could be true with Mirai, though of course I have no way of knowing for sure.

I do, however, take issue with the way you stated something in the next paragraph. I'm sure Kimmie and Emily don't use injuries as "excuses" to avoid competition. I'm sure Kimmie at least would give anything to be healthy and be able to grow as a skater. She had triple-triples and a triple axel, and that takes incredible grit and commitment. Emily may have found that academics call to her as strongly as skating does, or she may just have reached the upper limit of her talent. But neither of them seem the sort to become unenthusiastic about skating because of an injury. I'm not criticizing you but just qualifying your statement a bit. No argument intended.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I agree with your first paragraph. Some athletes, though talented, have some weak point physically. I think Yagudin was supposed to have a congenital hip problem, which probably wouldn't have bothered him at all if he had been a couch potato or even a champion swimmer. Runner Mary Decker at one point held every middle distance track record in the U.S., but she was said to be "glass from the knees down." And then there's the talented but physically unlucky Naomi Nari Nam. This could be true with Mirai, though of course I have no way of knowing for sure.

I do, however, take issue with the way you stated something in the next paragraph. I'm sure Kimmie and Emily don't use injuries as "excuses" to avoid competition. I'm sure Kimmie at least would give anything to be healthy and be able to grow as a skater. She had triple-triples and a triple axel, and that takes incredible grit and commitment. Emily may have found that academics call to her as strongly as skating does, or she may just have reached the upper limit of her talent. But neither of them seem the sort to become unenthusiastic about skating because of an injury. I'm not criticizing you but just qualifying your statement a bit. No argument intended.

I think more than anything it's hard to stay motivated. I'm sure Kimmie would like to come back and compete if she could ever get back to her top competitive form, but she went from being at the very top to being not that great, and it's understandable that she would be frustrated. She didn't do anything wrong, she just grew up and her body changed, she lost a lot of her technical content, and then she got injured and because she wasn't doing so well immediately before she was injured, she probably got discouraged. It's hard to stay dedicated to something as grueling as elite figure skating as a late teen, I mean, kids around you are going to parties, drinking, eating whatever they want, and hanging out with friends all the time and then you can't do any of that stuff if you want to be at the top of the sport. And yeah, maybe when you're World Champion or doing really well at international events like Kimmie and Emily were doing in their heydey then it's worth all the sacrifices and you feel proud and determined, but once the results go south, the trade off may not seem worth it anymore. I mean, who wants to train for several hours a day, maintain a very strict diet, not have a social life, and be constantly scrutinized by coaches and judges if it's not going to pay off at the end of the day? My guess is most teenagers would rather not do that, unless it payed off in the end.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I just came across this on YouTube and hadn't seen it before. Not sure what year this is from but it is not hard to see why Mirai is so popular in Japan.....and USA......and Europe. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_e3GhSoDk

What a cute little program and what a charmer Mirai is.
It surprises me that so many Kwanatics are not more into Mirai. It seems to me at 14 Mirai was already a bigger jumper, better spinner and much faster skater than Michelle ever was.

And her Ina Bauer is closer to Shizuka than just about anybody. :cool:

Maybe the x-factor is missing for some die hard Kween fans - but if we go back and look at Michelle at fourteen I think Mirai shows she has as much and maybe more potential than Michelle.

Hold on - I know,..... different eras. :)

But I think Mirai's talent and appeal is hard to deny.
I saw Michelle skate Live at 14 and Mirai seems to be her equal and then some.