Mirai Recap | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mirai Recap

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What did Mirai say about Alyssa landing the triple Axel?

I asked her about that because I knew y’all would want to know. Again, very cautious and deliberate response and she phrased it much better than I’m about to but basically “it is great she did a triple axel but she skates like a junior.”

sugarglider

Spectator
This is so nice to read about what it was like, thank you for recapping!!

Also random question, but you mentioned Skate Radio. My friend and I who have been attending have not been able to find it anywhere on the site they mentioned or in the app store. How did you get it?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is so nice to read about what it was like, thank you for recapping!!

Also random question, but you mentioned Skate Radio. My friend and I who have been attending have not been able to find it anywhere on the site they mentioned or in the app store. How did you get it?

Yes, USFS the first day of Senior Nationals introduced a new app to replace IceNetwork. It is called "US Figure Skating Fan Zone." Thanks very much for testing this first USFS! I was having terrible problems the first day, which turned out partly to be my equipment (I guess I need more expensive headphones or something, or there's something wrong with my iphone headphone adapter, because the first day about all I got was garble.) By the next day I figured out if I could get the headphone cord completely straight and hold it that way and not move, it would come in. However, the latency is really noticeable through the app. I put up with it because I get a lot of insight I couldn't otherwise get, but it's at least 15-20 seconds, and that is definitely not on my end because they apologized about it - it's a problem with the app. Hopefully they get it sorted by next year. I am so mad I couldn't find either of my skate radio devices as I understand it is working fine on those.

sugarglider

Spectator
Yes, USFS the first day of Senior Nationals introduced a new app to replace IceNetwork. It is called "US Figure Skating Fan Zone." Thanks very much for testing this first USFS! I was having terrible problems the first day, which turned out partly to be my equipment (I guess I need more expensive headphones or something, or there's something wrong with my iphone headphone adapter, because the first day about all I got was garble.) By the next day I figured out if I could get the headphone cord completely straight and hold it that way and not move, it would come in. However, the latency is really noticeable through the app. I put up with it because I get a lot of insight I couldn't otherwise get, but it's at least 15-20 seconds, and that is definitely not on my end because they apologized about it - it's a problem with the app. Hopefully they get it sorted by next year. I am so mad I couldn't find either of my skate radio devices as I understand it is working fine on those.
I'm glad you got it to work! :) How did you actually download it? This is what we've been having issues with. We searched all over the Fan Zone site and in the app store, and have not found it anywhere!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad you got it to work! :) How did you actually download it? This is what we've been having issues with. We searched all over the Fan Zone site and in the app store, and have not found it anywhere!

My icenetwork app automatically turned into it. When I go to the apple store, I type in "U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone" and it comes up. Unsure if they have an android version.

sugarglider

Spectator
My icenetwork app automatically turned into it. When I go to the apple store, I type in "U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone" and it comes up. Unsure if they have an android version.
Ahh yes I'm on an Android. That's probably the issue unfortunately. :( Thank you!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ahh yes I'm on an Android. That's probably the issue unfortunately. :( Thank you!

That really stinks for Android users. Want to join me in a campaign for them to make an Android app and put Skate Radio on demand/have it at Skate America? I learn the most stuff from Skate Radio, even more than Charlie/Tanith/Ben etc.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
2. Mirai has to be very careful what she says about DWTS. Just like "Survivor", they cant reveal what really goes on. In this case, it is my belief that she was much better than the football player that went up against adam but for ratings sake, they kept the football player to the last. No matter. She got her $100,000+ and had a great experience.

I follow another (non-skating) former DWTS contestant, and he said basically the same thing Mirai did.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First, y’all I’m Internet famous! Someone from the boards recognized me at the FOFS brunch!! Second, I talked to Brent about Skate Radio! He says to send an email to US Figure Skating. I’m requesting Android support for my Android peeps, on demand access to Skate Radio for everyone and Skate Radio at Skate America. It’s well worth it for those of you who have never listened. If you need the email address let me know.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
First, y’all I’m Internet famous! Someone from the boards recognized me at the FOFS brunch!! Second, I talked to Brent about Skate Radio! He says to send an email to US Figure Skating. I’m requesting Android support for my Android peeps, on demand access to Skate Radio for everyone and Skate Radio at Skate America. It’s well worth it for those of you who have never listened. If you need the email address let me know.

Good Idea....I will lean on Brent but its not his decision. Android users arent second class citizens....
Dont know how the appleapp works but the old radio you could listen to the tech channel and text questions....I learned a whole lot, mostly what I didnt know about Ice Dance scoring...Tanith said when asked about revealing skin above the waist that she really pushed the "rule". There is so much going on that the tech pannel has to dibby up the work load just to get the timing and calls right. But for major performances, I prefer just to listen to the music.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

duplicate: moonvine, we can ask Jimmie Santee at 4CCs for more SkateRadio options...he is very approachable.....nice guy....

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good Idea....I will lean on Brent but its not his decision. Android users arent second class citizens....
Dont know how the appleapp works but the old radio you could listen to the tech channel and text questions....I learned a whole lot, mostly what I didnt know about Ice Dance scoring...Tanith said when asked about revealing skin above the waist that she really pushed the "rule". There is so much going on that the tech pannel has to dibby up the work load just to get the timing and calls right. But for major performances, I prefer just to listen to the music.

I’m such a geek I listen to skate radio and watch, them I watch the replay with Tanith or Charlie or whoever’s doing NBC Sports Gold coverage, then if I can take it I watch my DVR’ed NBC version. I’ll pm you when I get back to the hotel.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well y’all, if I ever hit the lottery I am immediately forking over $3,500 to FOFS. I happened to share a driver with someone of that level or more, I was sure not going to ask, but she had tickets to a hospitality suite every day with awesome food (we got hot dogs with Mirai, I don’t care, I didn’t go for the food, but they had stuff like prime rib)....and BRIAN BOITANO pouring drinks every day. I had no clue that’s what “hospitality suite” meant. I would have thought cheese and crackers or something. How silly of me. At any rate, I forked over my piddly $65 and every person employed by US Figure Skating now knows me by name. Even people I have no idea of the names of. I felt like a danged princess. I shudder to think what 10k gets you.

sugarglider

Spectator
Ah that's awesome! Thanks for putting a word in for us Android people. :) I'll send an email too to add some voices to that group! What's the email address?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Saw a pic of Mirai giving a talk at the breakfast...wonder what she said?

I have another kind of fame with the USFS crew...Brent has an early warning Coyote detection system so he can run the other way whenever I approach him. Kris and Jamie who run the booth scrunch down and start throwing USFS lip balm and hand sanatizers at me.... But I am gonna donate an Evan L. autographed copy of the USFS Magazine with Evan L. on the cover that I won at a breakfast oh so many years ago that they can auction off so they will have to notice me! :biggrin:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thx so much for taking the time to write your report, moonvine! It sounds like you had so much fun, and it was well worth the price you paid. Enjoyed meeting you at the breakfast. Did you enjoy Mirai at the breakfast? I thought she did a wonderful job in her role there and gave us a lot of insight into how important Nationals is to the skaters.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks to moonvine, we have a pic of our Mirai....she looks cold, maybe she needs a hug?