Miura and Kihara and chemistry on the ice | Golden Skate

Miura and Kihara and chemistry on the ice

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NHK Trophy Pairs - Recap

Kihara feels that one thing that helps display their chemistry on the ice is that they are both “very similar as skaters.”

“We both like to glide out very strong on our starting foot,” he explained. “I think the way we skate across the ice is very similar. We don’t force ourselves too much. We both love speed on the ice, we both love to skate very fast. On a personal level, we are very balanced in terms of personality; one is very dependable, the other one is a little bit more clumsy and forgetful at times, and we compliment each other well.”

What are your thoughts on this team in terms of presentation?

What was your overall opinion of the pairs event at NHK? Any surprises for you?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think my favorite program at this pairs event was Emily Chan and Spencer Akira Howe's FS. They are improving their expression of the emotions of this program, every time I see them. Re-watching their FS was a special pleasure, because I could focus on their performance. I enjoyed Emily and Spencer because in their interview ahead of this event, they both said that their joy and fulfillment comes from touching people with their skating.

"Everyone's doing relatively the same elements. So having that artistry and skating aspect is what makes it all worth it, and valuable, from a viewer's perspective," Howe declared. "We're in competitive skating, so elements are very important. But we cherish being creative and being able to touch people. It is definitely a big reason why we skate. Without that, we're just robots doing throws and twists."

It's great to see when a team fulfills their primary intention in skating, especially when their intention is to connect.

The first time I saw Riku and Ryuichi, I was charmed by them, and I continue to be. Their feelings and what they put on the ice are genuine. I'd like to see one program focused more on their joy in skating, because that's one of their true strengths, and they make me happy. It's also amazing to see how quickly and thoroughly they gelled in their partnership, especially when you re-watch old programs with previous partners. Really makes one see how important finding the right partner is.

I also am enjoying Camille and Pavel Kovalev more and more, also McIntosh and Mimar. Very enjoyable event for me.

readernick

Medalist
I think Kihara is correct that some of their charm comes from their incredible skating skills. They are evenly matched and move with incredible speed across the ice. Kihara is also an incredible lifter and that lends a sense of ease and freedom to their skating. But, they also both also seem to love skating and to have a great relationship with each other. They radiate joy and are easy to love.

I do wish ( as has already been mentioned) they had programs that actually took advantage for these traits. Right now, they shine in spite of not because of their programs. The music in their SP is so depressing which is completely at odds with the joy they project.