MK Pros and Coronation Ace Revolution | Golden Skate

MK Pros and Coronation Ace Revolution

victoria7988

Spectator
After skating in my Ice Fly and Paramount (Pattern 99 style, 8' radius) set-up for 3 years (on and off due to health conditions, and for a while only did synchro), I realized my blade is 1/4" too small for my boot. I am not sure how this got so messed up and went so long without being noticed, but I am looking for new blades anyways. I'm learning my Axel and have all my single jumps, but my spins are horrible (Scratch, Back Scratch, and Sit spin are all I am able to do...sometimes). I'm constantly on my toe pick, falling on my inside edge, and quite frankly... I don't think I have ever found my sweet spot. I can attribute this to my blade being too small...right? The front of the blade is not touching the front of the boot, and the heel plate is not centered under my heel.

I've been looking for new blades, and I, like many skaters, drool over the aesthetic look of revolution blades. I know that looks aren't an important factor when choosing a blade, and proper level is much more important. However, the MK Professional and the CA revolution blades are rated for my level. Does anybody have experience with these blades? Tons of skaters at my rink are in Jackson Legacy 7's. Should I consider these? And lastly, I know the Pattern 99 revolution is a very high-level blade, but would this be suitable for me since I am already skating in Pattern 99, or should I stick with a blade my level and stop caring what they look like lol.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
After skating in my Ice Fly and Paramount (Pattern 99 style, 8' radius) set-up for 3 years (on and off due to health conditions, and for a while only did synchro), I realized my blade is 1/4" too small for my boot. I am not sure how this got so messed up and went so long without being noticed, but I am looking for new blades anyways. I'm learning my Axel and have all my single jumps, but my spins are horrible (Scratch, Back Scratch, and Sit spin are all I am able to do...sometimes). I'm constantly on my toe pick, falling on my inside edge, and quite frankly... I don't think I have ever found my sweet spot. I can attribute this to my blade being too small...right? The front of the blade is not touching the front of the boot, and the heel plate is not centered under my heel.

I've been looking for new blades, and I, like many skaters, drool over the aesthetic look of revolution blades. I know that looks aren't an important factor when choosing a blade, and proper level is much more important. However, the MK Professional and the CA revolution blades are rated for my level. Does anybody have experience with these blades? Tons of skaters at my rink are in Jackson Legacy 7's. Should I consider these? And lastly, I know the Pattern 99 revolution is a very high-level blade, but would this be suitable for me since I am already skating in Pattern 99, or should I stick with a blade my level and stop caring what they look like lol.
Many here have skated on the MK Pro and JW Coronation Ace at one point or another. These are your level and you should choose one of these and the traditional version, not the revs. The revs will do nothing for you especially at this point in your skating, and trying to spin.

Stay way from P99s right now, they too high level for you and Legacy 7s are too flat rocker so that would not help you find your sweet spot when spinning.

Stop worrying about the aesthetics and get a tried and true blade and learn to spin properly once you have one. :) Good luck!

ETA: I'd usually question you having an ice fly but seriously, I am quite exhausted with many being overbooted and overbladed here and just can't do this again lol!

leia1979

Rinkside
I've had both the MK Pro and Coronation Ace (normal versions of both) in the same size but on different boots, so it's not an exact comparison. The MK Pro has a longer tail, which I prefer for heel stability. The spin rocker also feels further forward (but it could be the boots). The spin rocker on CA felt further back to me and I struggled with overshooting it, but my prior blades were MK Double Star and Club 2000, so I'm sure I'm just used to the MK profile.

If you were used to the too-short blade, you may prefer CA, as it won't feel as much longer as the MK Pro in the same size.

Crystal Rainbows

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I love the complex spin rocker of the CA and prefer it - because I only want to do singles to axel and focus mostly on spins and synchro/dance I switched to Coronation Dance in my new set-up and I'm happy about it.
I tried skating in pattern 99 and didn't like the rocker (8.5ft if I remember right). It's great for stability and for jumps, but the spinning was much more difficult for me to find the sweet spot despite the spin-rocker being the same as CA.
SEE ROCKER PROFILES HERE: https://scarletskater.wordpress.com/2017/06/02/blade-profiles/

I would check with a tech about whether your blades are too short - there are reasons for a shorter blade and a quarter inch is easy to play with. (ex. my 260C take 9 3/4 OR 10. I opted for the 9 3/4 for better maneuverability)
If you are changing up both boots and blades it's a much steeper learning curve. I switched to CA within a month of getting my Jacksons but kept the boot until I killed them. After I wore them out I switched to my Risport RF3

As for aesthetics, I totally agree they suck you in! I personally decided to ignore the pretty and first find the combo that works for me.
THEN invest in pretty once I know for sure what I like! BUT the ability to buy rainbow blades from Paramount has definitely been pulling on my inner unicorn gurl! 🦄🌈⛸️

Vicki7

On the Ice
I skated on Coronation Ace for about 5 years, and loved them. I would always recommend them to any skaters looking to buy their first separate boot + blade setup.

I'm actually on Legacy 7's now, and like the slightly larger toe picks. I've not noticed a massive difference in my spins and can easily find the sweet spot, but I'll bow to ic3rabbit's knowledge about them being flatter :) I am probably the only person on this board who skates on them and likes them! :D The cutouts in the blades MAY have influenced me a little... :D (along with my dance coach skating on the regular Legacy and loving them)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I skated on Coronation Ace for about 5 years, and loved them. I would always recommend them to any skaters looking to buy their first separate boot + blade setup.

I'm actually on Legacy 7's now, and like the slightly larger toe picks. I've not noticed a massive difference in my spins and can easily find the sweet spot, but I'll bow to ic3rabbit's knowledge about them being flatter :) I am probably the only person on this board who skates on them and likes them! :D The cutouts in the blades MAY have influenced me a little... :D (along with my dance coach skating on the regular Legacy and loving them)
With right technique, you can make most boot/blade combos work. When struggling to learn technique and find the spin point however, you don't want to be looking at a blade that this is harder in.