Movies That You Didn't Like, But Others Did.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Movies That You Didn't Like, But Others Did....

mpal2

Final Flight
So...you know people who actually liked Coyote Ugly? :laugh:

I agree with you. I don't know why we rented it, but everyone hated it.

anya_angie

Final Flight
YES! My 13 year old niece and my 33 year old sister LOVE that movie! I only saw parts of it and I hated it.

I'll add Doctor Zhivago to the list. Never read the book, but I actually had to turn off the movie during the first part, and did not finish it until some months later when I was absolutely bored to death anyway.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
My Own Private Idaho -- DON'T GET ME STARTED I will rant on for hours. Tho I will admit that River Phoenix gave a fantastic performance.

Moonstruck -- Yeah, whatever.

Heathers -- Didn't get it. Tho certain types of black humor admittedly fly way over my head.

Broadcast News -- See Moonstruck. Actually, I find that most movies in the mid to late 80s that were raved about from here to the Moon were just not that great.

Reservoir Dogs -- This is actually a favorite film of 2 of my friends whom you'd never think would be into this kind of thing. I personally could well do without seeing that sort of behavior, and tho I am far from a prude, even I found the excessive foul language to be more than a bit much.

Star Wars -- Admittedly, part of this is because I went to it on opening night and my cousin and I had to wait for the bathroom and by the time we got out the robots were in the desert and the film was underway and I had no idea what was going on for the rest of the movie. However -- I've never had any desire to find out, either.

Lord of The Rings -- Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but I was laughing hysterically through most of it, and when Viggo Mortenson and Liv Tyler had their first scene proclaiming their love, all I could think was, "Eternity. Calvin Klein." I think it was the dialogue. I realize that something of this nature requires this type of majestic dialogue, but I can really only take so much of it before Instant Smartass kicks in.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
guinevere said:
Toni, I loved Titanic and was , um, far beyond 13 when it came out. I just lurve disaster movies, though. :biggrin:

well, Cameron's movie *was* a disaster ;)

ok to add to my list....

Schindler's List. I know why it's heralded as a great movie, and I agree. Steven Spielberg did an amazing job, and John Williams' score is just *wow*... but I do not like the movie. I don't know if it's because it stars Liam Neeson, or because I can barely understand what anyone is saying.... or the naked starved people(I don't think that's all of what it is).... it's like...I know why it's loved, and technically it's a wonderful film... but I just don't care for it... ya know?

Last edited:

Tenorguy

On the Ice
For me, any of the Lord of the Rings trilogy...... bombastic, endless computer-computer-computer backgrounds, juvenille, NOT my cup of tea. But then I really like all of the Austin Powers movies - how juvenille can you get? Its rare to go into a movie these days and just laugh silly, that's what I like about Mike Myers - pure silly fun.

LOTR takes itself way too seriously for my tastes. Just marching, spearing, armor-encrusted long-hair-with-braids faintly medival brutes on horseback tromping computer-genereated enemies underfoot while gazing in the distance towards ------ nothing remotely human.

Just my opinion! Tenorguy

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've never seen the LOTR movies, and I have no desire to... I didn't like the books.

4dogknight

Final Flight
Casablanca
Shane
High Noon
The War of the Worlds
The Long Long Trailer
The Ten Commandments
The Planet of the Apes
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Oliver
The English Patient
Shakespeare in Love
Braveheart
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Bridge on the River Kwai
A Christmas Story
The Deer Hunter
The Exorcist
Forrest Gump
The Godfather Saga (I,II, III)
It's A Wonderful Life
Midnight Cowboy
On the Waterfront
The Pianist
The Piano
Pulp Fiction
Sling Blade
Risky Business
Top Gun
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
There's Something About Mary
A Beautiful Mind
As Good As It Gets
Superman
On Golden Pond
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
Love Story
The Bridges of Madison County

Remakes - with very few exceptions.

4dk - who knows there are more but while the fingers are willing, the brain is just not cooperating.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I love Oliver! *thud* Tonichelle, how can you not be touched by Schindler's List? It's one of the best movies ever made.

I couldn't stand The Cable Guy...I don't go out to see movies that often.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
because I don't understand the dialogue... especially Liam Neeson... the accents, while appropriate, made it hard for me to keep track of what went on. The only thing that I completely understood was the little girl in teh red coat (which the Violin came in and is the most famous part of the score of "Schindler's List") I know the history of Schindler, so the story is indeed touching, I just couldn't get into the movie.

I love Steven Spielberg movies, period. But this one is not on my favorites list. It was an amazing movie by technical and artistic points, but I couldn't get into it.

Consider it my "Michelle Kwan" of movies :laugh:

anya_angie

Final Flight
I want to add to my list the cheesiest movies ever made, both of which were made in the 70s.

Love Story (yawn... story's been done to death... pun intended)

and

ICE CASTLES

Now I know a girl who is blind, she skates, but just from the synopsis of the story I was like OMG could you be any more mundane? Even SHE finds the film absolutely hilarious, and I thought it was a comedy until I saw it.

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
Consider it my "Michelle Kwan" of movies :laugh:
:rofl:

Maybe there's a Schindler's List with subtitles out there. :)

If you didn't like Liam's accent in that movie, you probably wouldn't understand him at all in K-19. He doesn't do a very good job with a russian accent. :sheesh: lol

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just don't understand why an Irishman has to have a Nazi German accent :sheesh: for me it's just too hard to follow :laugh:

then again I'm not a fan of his period so maybe that's it :laugh: I didn't even like him in Star Wars :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I am a huge fan of the Star Wars movies. Had a big crush on Mark Hamill (Luke) in the 70's.........

Also don't like any of the "James Bond" movies........they acting is cheesy (even though I am a big fan of Sean Connery). My sons love the "Rocky" movies.....I don't........must be a guy thing.........42 :yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mark Hamill was hot pre going nuts due to his fame and driving his car off the road... dark times haunted several of the main characters in SW... Carrie was a drug addict during most of the movies, I think Harrison was the only 'normal' one of the bunch and even he has his quirks LOL

sorry I am a big SW junkie and I have the most morbid trivia facts :sheesh:

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
I second the person who nominated Passion. Although it has been the source of music for one of my all-time favorite Kurt programs, the movie as a whole...sucked. I'm a Christian and I know my Bible and all, but just...no. To take what amounts to three or four lines in the Bible, and turn into a three hour bloodfest? That's not honoring anything, that's just being disgusting IMHO. If you saw it, and enjoyed it or were moved, that's more than wonderful. It just didn't work for me at all.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Whoa, Kurt did The Passion last year? or was it this year?

It's impossible for him to have done it before last year, because the music was never released before then.

anya_angie

Final Flight
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)

I know it was made in 1971, and that's presicely why it's so terrible. When you look at what we KNOW about them NOW, and what we can simply hypothesize about (example, the family's mannerisms with regards to their religion) it's the most inaccurate film about the family ever made. And it's such a travesty to the family's personality's, no wonder Massie himself walked out of the theater.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
anya_angie said:
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)

I know it was made in 1971, and that's presicely why it's so terrible. When you look at what we KNOW about them NOW, and what we can simply hypothesize about (example, the family's mannerisms with regards to their religion) it's the most inaccurate film about the family ever made. And it's such a travesty to the family's personality's, no wonder Massie himself walked out of the theater.

I've never seen this, but is this one of those late 60s/early 70s "historical dramas" that feature an amazing amount of modern cosmetics? I saw parts of "Mary Queen of Scots" with Vanessa Redgrave (which also came out in 1971) and really, truly, I was unaware that there was so much frosted Revlon lipstick and eye shadow floating around during the Tudor period..... :laugh: :laugh: