My review of Men's Cheesefest | Golden Skate

My review of Men's Cheesefest

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here tis, for what it's worth. I stuck it by itself rather than in the other thread.

The Providence arena is a relatively small arena, but it was not nearly full. A number of spectators arrived late however, failing to realize that these cheesefests do not have any second tier skaters. As a result, they may have missed Plush, who IMO was the top act here. If you are going to a cheesefest, remember to get there early!. I was interested to see that parked outside the arena where two large Champions on Ice tractor trailer trucks. Apparently (and it makes sense), they do coordinate these events. However, it does not make sense to take competitors who have done at least three tour stops and give them little time to practice in an arena, and then make them go back to skating their long programs. This procedure, typical of spring cheesefests, does not lead to the very best skating in general, and that was also true tonight.

The percentage of the crowd that were young children was high. I was surprised that the organizers allowed flowers to be thrown on the ice, and that what flowers were thrown were not well wrapped. Also a number of people, despite being warned, persisted in using flash cameras. The competitors were aware of both these problems, and it showed in the skating, with most of the competitors exuding an air of caution.

The arena was full of NCAA and NIT banners, which kept me, as a person who went to grad school at UConn, wondering how the women's basketball championship was going: UConn, where men are men and women are champions; it is sort of like the US in figure skating.

We were seated near the top of the VIP seats, 8 rows off the ice, just behind the judges. Dick, Peggy and Peter Carruthers were all there. Dick appeared to have a pale ice green tie, and they all had a huge tub of popcorn at the start of the event.

One thing about cheesefests: There are only 5 judges. Scoring is the 6.0 system, and it is Not Anonymous.

For the men, the judges were:
1 Weitzman France
2 Pennichenko Russia
3 Kubota Japan
4 Butcher Canada
5 Dick? USA

Don't count on the names; I didn't see them spelled out, but the countries are correct.

First to skate was Evan Lysachek in a red, blousy shirt with gold spangles around the neckline and black pants. He opened with a nice 3A3T, perhaps a bit two footed on the 3A. He was skating very slowly, so it seemed to me. He followed with a second 3A, and then stepped out of a 3loop. He did a flying camel into a donut spin variation where he bent his knee to go down and then went back up again. Then a reasonably good 3lutz 3toe and a nice cannonball sit spin, followed by a back sit spin.
He centered up again and did a combination spin. He then did more or less nothing for a while for a nice rest. He then did a 3S with a slightly wiggly landing, some moves in the field, a nice spread eagle, a flying sit spin, a shaky 3flip, and then his straight line f/w which seemed relatively easy. He definitely needs more speed and power in his skating, but he skated this program very accurately.
FR RU JPN CAN USA
5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5
5.3 5.5 5.5 5.4 5.5

Next to skate was Plushenko, doing his Nijinsky routine in the same black with gold spangles jump suit he wore at World's. It looks very nice on him. He skated very well, but exuded an air of caution and fell on his 3lutz, but there may have been a flash camera at that corner...he fell where the were sitting people that were warned about flash camers after his skate.

He started with a careful, and correct 4t3t . Then relatively plain skating to a 3A that was very high and very gorgeous. He then stopped and executed a resting sequence, followed by a 3A 2t. He could only get a 2t because he pretty much came to a dead stop out of the 3A. Then a 3S, followed by what appeared to be a 2somethingorother; was this supposed to be his second 4T??, and his very nice flying camel into donut spin. Children, if you ever want to learn a donut spin, do Not study Baiul who has to stick her rump up to get hold of her foot. Watch Plush! He just curls his leg around, and it is seamless and totally excellent. He then did a bunch of little dumb tippy toe steps, and set off on his absolutely great S/L footwork with real twizzles, and kicks of various sorts, to great applause from the crowd. He then did a half stepout, half fall on a 3lutz, then a 3flip?I think, and did his combo spin with the Bielmann and another donut, a Biellmann spiral (very nice), a 3loop and into his final combo spin followed by a very fast, and headless? scratch spin. He got good applause, but no standing ovation. I still prefer his QR round at last year's Worlds by quite a lot.
FR RU JPN CAN USA
5.8 5.8 5.8 5.7 5.8
5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9

He was followed by Brian Joubert, in his usual Matrix outfit, skating his same Matrix program. He started by turning around and facing the judges and sticking out his hands. He did a 4t nicely, skated some more, did a 3lutz(I think), wiggled his shoulders but did nothing with his feet. This is a very empty first part of the program. He did a nice 3A3t, a slow spin that travelled quite a bit, posed a lot, walked backward, and then skated into a 3f3t (again I think I am right, but I might not have the first jump correctly identified. Was it supposed to be 4t? It didn't seem high enough or fast enough.). He did a very nice 3loop, a sit, change sit, adequately done, some relatively simple footwork, posed, did a nice spread eagle, a wobbly 3f (?) another travelling spin, another s/l f/w with toe steps but not that much complexity. It was slow. Very slow. He finished with a 3S, to a flying axel sit spin with out much spin, and stood facing the judges. He did not get as much applause as Plush. No way will this place first, I thought, and it didn't. But he did win on
the Canadian judge's card and tied on the French and Japanese cards, winning one and losing the other on the tech/pres tie breaker rule. So Plush was ahead because of the American judge. I don't see how this empty program with simple f/w and mostly not exceptional spins was that close to Plush.
FR RU JPN CAN USA
5.9 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.8
5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.8

Then it was Tim Goebel's turn. It took the judges a lot of time to figure out how to handle Joubert vs. Plushenko. Plus there were loose flower petals all over the place, and flower girls trying to pick them up.Tim skated around a lot, and did a 3toe and a 2axel while he was waiting. I presumed that this was a warmup to trying the 4t and 3A that are in his Queen Symphony program. I didn't like his costume which is a gray jump suit with a loose piece of chiffon flapping around, going down his sleeve. He did not appear to be wearing the hinged boots, as far as I could tell. During the warmup, I was looking at his skating, trying to see how it compared to his national's skating. He is still doing that kind of shuffling, chugging around, my- hip- hurts step between skating program sequences, but less so. And he seemed to have a bit more flow back in his skating. However, in warmup he did a 3A2t, but it was kind of squeaky, and I didn't see him try a 4t. Finally he got to start, and with the music being the Who Wants to Live Forever? part of Queen's song, very sad when you remember Tim's problems. He tried the 3A and fell flat. He did a decent 3loop and a spread eagle into an attempted 4toe and fell flat. Then butterflies into a sit spin and a cross foot spin. Then a hydroblade move followed by a 3f3t. Not too bad. A forward spiral, 3S footwork sequence, performed pretty decently, into a 3lz, followed by 3flip finishing with 3toe by itself. I think I may not have those jumps right. His final combo spin was quick and well centered.
Well, since he has only been training the quad for about 2 or 3 weeks since physical therapy and getting inserts for his boots, it wasn't that bad. Funny enough, while the program was not up to Plush's level, this is not an empty program. There's quite a bit going on even with the jumps gone. It does not score well and he goes into last place. With the two warmup jumps, Tim kept up good energy for about 5 and 1/2 minutes, so fitness is not his problem.
FR RU JPN CAN USA
5.0 5.3 5.2 5.3 5.3
5.6 5.6 5.6 5.5 5.3
It is a sad commentary that it is the US judge that disliked his skate the most, and the Russian judge who liked it the best.
Other than the US judge, Tim can take some heart that the other judges gave him quite decent presentation marks for the level of the program. Maybe it's the contrast between the words to Queen's songs, and Tim's situation, I found it a touching presentation.

Next to skate, was Johnny Weir, in his icicle costume to Dr. Zhivago. He started with a very smooth 3A3t, then a 3S, and a 3A that he stepped out of. He had a nice donut spin, a 3lutz3toe, and then a thing that I called a 3toe with a squeaky landing. I am undecided whether this was supposed to be a 4t that was popped to 3, or whether it was a 3f and I missed it. Johnny grabs his head. He skates into a 3loop, very nicely done, and did his front catch spiral, butterfly and his final pancake spin with the arms going down. There is a lot more to this program than I am saying, but I was too busy watching it to take very good notes. Somewhere in there there is a very nice footwork sequence where Johnny does some kind of 1 1/2 rotation jump. I thought COP limited you to only one rotation, or the stunt was counted as a jumping pass. Then I remembered that Johnny has never compted under COP. However, Johnny skated this a lot better both at World's and at Nationals.
FR RU JPN CAN USA
5.6 5.4 5.6 5.6 5.7
5.7 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.8
I found it interesting to note that the US judge thought this program was hugely better than Goebel, but the Russian judge thought it only 0.1 better, and no better in presentation. It was the Canadian and US judge that were going crazy for this program.

Last to skate was Michael Weiss, as usual to his patriotic medley, as usual in his Union Army uniform. He started with a 4toe with one hand down. He skated around, did a cute little jump (is it a mazurka?) and another triple, maybe a flip. He does a 3axel, with wonky landing but stayed standing, and skated to a 3loop. He did a flying camel with this odd kick in the air that looked clumsy to me. and did his spin while saluting. Then he performed his moves in the field section, bent knee spiral, a walley and did what looked like a 2A2t to get the combo in? Then a 3S, and a 3lutz that landed on the music, a touch I liked. He had a nice cannonball sit spin, as usual, change to back sit, then his Mike Pike, and a 3toe (I think) thrown in. He did his s/l footwork, which was pretty good, and a nice flying camel into a final spin that he had trouble controlling. I have never liked this program, but Mike relates to this music pretty well. I wish Brian Wright were still alive to choregraph him.
FR RU JPN CAN USA
5.6 5.7 5.4 5.7 5.4
5.8 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.5
And thus we see the US judge really liked Weir, compared to the two other US skaters, Weiss and Goebel.

Final result:
1. Plushenko
2. Joubert
3. Weir
4. Weiss
5. Lysacek
6. Goebel

An interesting aside: Peter Carruthers interviewed Plush after his win, and the interview was run over the loudspeaker system. Plush said that to win next year, he will be adding a 4S and a 4loop to his program.

Last edited:
Thanks, Doris P. I was trying my hardest not to be spoiled for this competition. But then...but then...Well, I thought, it can't hurt just to have a little peek at the men.

I'm sorry that Tim didn't do so well. The first reports on COI said that he was getting it back together.

Interesting comments on the judging.

I wish the arenas would get tough on flash photography. At the Winter cheesefest the person sitting right in friont of me did have her camera confiscated by the ushers. (In that case it was kind of too bad because the camera went off accidentally, when she wasn't even taking a picture of anything.)

By now, of course, you know that the UConn ladies kicked butt!

Mathman:)

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
Thanks soo much for the report, too bad about the flash photgraphies, one might think that after all this years, audience knows better.

Thanks for the detailed report

sarahmistral

On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
FR RU JPN CAN USA
5.0 5.3 5.2 5.3 5.3
5.6 5.6 5.6 5.5 5.3
It is a sad commentary that it is the US judge that dislike his skate the most, and the Russian judge who liked it the best.
Other than the US judge, Tim can take some heart that the other judges gave him quite decent presentation marks for the level of the program. Maybe it's the contrast between the words to Queen's songs, and Tim's situation, it was a touching presentation.

An interesting aside: Peter Carruthers interviewed Plush after his win, and the interview was run over the loudspeaker system. Plush says that to win next year, he will be adding a 4S and a 4loop to his program.

Thanks DP for the great reports! I actually find the judges' takes on Timmy G quite heartening, since I don't always expect the judging to go according to some mythical hard and fast rules regarding bloc affiliation and bias. I obviously feel for Timmy, who's had a rough year, but I think judging his LP must have been a matter of taste for these judges, rather than of national affiliation.

Hats off to Johnny Weir, a wonderful, complete skater who proves by this performance that he's one heck of a competitor...I say so because you can appreciate his flawless landings in competition this year that much more after hearing that he IS capable of wonky ones and step outs from jumps:) He IS human, after all:laugh:!!

About Plushy, can't wait to see that 4loop, and I hope his body holds up through Turin...LORD OF THE ICE, as the people holding up the banner in Dortmund proudly proclaimed:)

Thanks again, DP!

Sarah

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks DORISPULASKI for that indepth & excellent report! :love:

So far, after having read countless reports about this phenomenal competition on the web, yours is the only one that actually made me feel like I was sitting in the audience watching w/y'all (no lie). :) The visualizations you created were stunning & had my mind working overtime, especially the "ice green tie" that good ole Dick Button was wearing (lol). ;) :D

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. Evgeni's saying that he will add the 4S & 4R has me hyperventilating (no lie). Finally, the men are going to be catching up with the ladies, or to be more precise - the lady (aka Miki Ando - whom already does the 4S. Lol! :) ;)

Ximena

Final Flight
Re: Re: My review of Men's Cheesefest

sarahmistral said:

About Plushy, can't wait to see that 4loop, and I hope his body holds up through Turin...LORD OF THE ICE, as the people holding up the banner in Dortmund proudly proclaimed:)

Sarah

Loved that banner!! It was great and they show it so many times during worlds.

About the quad salchow and quad loop, well I have only seen him land a quad sal on a practice; and as for reports froms last year worlds he had the quad sal and quad lutz but didn't know he was trying the loop

curious

Final Flight
Plushy has to take care of that knee first before he attempts anymore quads if he wants to win the Olys.

Kasey

Medalist
Re: the 4s and 4r from Plush....Not necessarily from him, but I have heard other skaters before, female and male, stating that they are "working on" such things in practice as quad axel and other such high falootin stuff! However, amazingly enough, none of said jumps ever make it into programs. Maybe it is just another way to "psych" out the competition....As much as a quad loop would be nice to see, I'll believe it when I see it. It would be nice to see him catch up to Goebel though, who has been doing both 4t and 4s for some years now....

Kasey

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
And I would like to see Timmy catch up to Evgeni in terms of charisma and presentation...

Kevin Van Der Perren is said to be very close to a quad loop, and Evgeni just missed the quad lutz at CoR 2001. He was injured after that, though, and never went back to it. Maybe he'll try again. In practice at GPF, Evgeni did a 4t/3loop/3loop combo. THAT was amazing.

But personally, I don't want to see a five or six quad program. Give me two solid quads, which Evgeni, Brian, Tim, Li and Takeshi are certainly capable of (and probably others I can't think of right now, due to hunger), combined with some nice choreography and great presentation.

Laura :)

It's interesting to read poster's comments.

Evgeni just missed the quad as opposed to Michael double footed the quad. the cup is half full or half empty.

JOe