Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO

b-man

Final Flight
Maybe with a couple of withdrawals, which always occur, she can get that second assignment. She's 27th in world standings, 33rd on the season's best list and finished 4th and 6th in her GP's last year. Not up to her capability, but should put her in contention for a second assignment.

samson

Medalist
it would be great to see her get a second assignment but right now I'm just happy she got sent to NHK. It would be tough, but not crazy to imagine she could get that third slot at SKAM. Though with Karen Chen also looking for a second slot it might be tough. I feel like USFSA might feel compelled to give it to Karen.

I've got to imagine she isn't far on the alternate list though!

She also posted a great looking triple toe/triple toe/double toe about a week ago. I know I'm in the Mirai optimist camp, but it looks better than the triple/triple she did at Nats in '14 and the skating lesson noted she's improving. Regardless I'm looking forward to seeing her new programs!

:cheer:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And the college experience can be overrated. My daughter had a very rough first year. ...

Agree about the possibility that college can be overrated. Sorry to hear about your daughter.

The reason I wanted it to be noted that Mirai has started college is the opinion of at least one person in this thread that Mirai's life would be more "productive" if she were to stop competing and go to college instead. (It is not my opinion!)

That debate now is moot -- with Mirai joining a long line of skaters who are going to college while they continue to compete :).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The reason I wanted it to be noted that Mirai has started college is the opinion of at least one person in this thread that Mirai's life would be more "productive" if she were to stop competing and go to college instead. (It is not my opinion!)

That debate now is moot -- with Mirai joining a long line of skaters who are going to college while they continue to compete :).

I support her choice, and it may actually take the pressure off because she has something to keep her busy when she isn't competing and training. Her technique is generally good so who knows what could happen if she can skate freer.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt Mirai is starting off with a full load of courses. She is probably taking at most two or three, maybe some online.

NHK will give Mirai a bye through Sectionals, but for her to get a bye through Regionals, she will need to be assigned an early October B or Challenge event (Nepela or Finlandia).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree about the possibility that college can be overrated. Sorry to hear about your daughter.

Agree but the critics will still have their say. Thank goodness for the ignore list!

b-man

Final Flight
it would be great to see her get a second assignment but right now I'm just happy she got sent to NHK. It would be tough, but not crazy to imagine she could get that third slot at SKAM. Though with Karen Chen also looking for a second slot it might be tough. I feel like USFSA might feel compelled to give it to Karen.

I've got to imagine she isn't far on the alternate list though!

Well, the b-man is not happy, I thought she would get two assignments. If Miller can get two, and Wang anything at all, no reason for Mirai not to get two. But if she only ends up with one, I am happy it is NHK, where she enjoys the experience, has many firneds, and is popular with the crowd.

I think the 3rd SA host pick is a very long shot. I am hoping maybe a withdrawal at say, CoC, where she has appeared a few times and seems to have some popularity there.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
NHK will give Mirai a bye through Sectionals, but for her to get a bye through Regionals, she will need to be assigned an early October B or Challenge event (Nepela or Finlandia).

Hopefully she won't have to skate at Regionals. She would take a Nationals spot from a deserving competitor at that event, and Mirai is too good to be competing for a spot at Nationals at such an event.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hopefully she won't have to skate at Regionals. She would take a Nationals spot from a deserving competitor at that event, and Mirai is too good to be competing for a spot at Nationals at such an event.

No-one, and I mean NO-ONE EVER, is "too good to be competing at Regionals".

It would suck about the Nationals spot for another skater, and it would be nice if they could come with some other way to make sure that no-one was cost a spot, but NO-ONE is "too good" to take the proper steps to qualify.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

During the years there have been several skaters that have not felt to be too good to compete at Finlandia Trophy:

Plushenko, Cohen, Weir, Abbott, Fernandez, Hanyu to name just a few....

Or have I misunderstood you, perhaps?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
During the years there have been several skaters that have not felt to be too good to compete at Finlandia Trophy:

Plushenko, Cohen, Weir, Abbott, Fernandez, Hanyu to name just a few....

Or have I misunderstood you, perhaps?

I think drivingmissdaisy was saying that Mirai is too good for Regionals.

Even Plushenko did Russian Cup competitions during his comebacks. No-one is too good for qualifying.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only skaters who DON'T have to compete at Regionals are the top five finishers at Nationals and those who have international assignments within two weeks of their Regional. Mirai didn't finish top 5 at Nationals, so she needs to have an international assignment that falls within two weeks of her Regional, otherwise she would have to compete there. USFS has assigned her an international every year at Regional time when she didn't have an early GP, so I'm assuming they will do the same this year.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The only skaters who DON'T have to compete at Regionals are the top five finishers at Nationals and those who have international assignments within two weeks of their Regional. Mirai didn't finish top 5 at Nationals, so she needs to have an international assignment that falls within two weeks of her Regional, otherwise she would have to compete there. USFS has assigned her an international every year at Regional time when she didn't have an early GP, so I'm assuming they will do the same this year.

Thx, chuckm.

Question (out of mere curiosity):
Have there been cases among U.S. skaters (not limited to Mirai) of needing to compete at Regionals (and qualifying there for Sectionals), but being able to skip Sectionals b/c of a GP assignment?​

Does it happen ever? Or rarely? Or not so rarely?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thx, chuckm.

Question (out of mere curiosity):
Have there been cases among U.S. skaters (not limited to Mirai) of needing to compete at Regionals (and qualifying there for Sectionals), but being able to skip Sectionals b/c of a GP assignment?​

Does it happen ever? Or rarely? Or not so rarely?

According to the USFS website, a skater gets a bye to Nationals by an international assignment in close proximity to SECTIONALS. http://www.usfsa.org/Events.asp?id=490 According to this, Mirai has already qualified by her assignment to NHK which I'm pretty sure is in close proximity to Sectionals.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
USFS has assigned her an international every year at Regional time when she didn't have an early GP, so I'm assuming they will do the same this year.

Good point. Mirai has done Finlandia/NHK both times after she finished 7th at Nationals, so I'm sure she will have the same strategy this year. It pays to be popular in Japan. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
According to the USFS website, a skater gets a bye to Nationals by an international assignment in close proximity to SECTIONALS. http://www.usfsa.org/Events.asp?id=490 According to this, Mirai has already qualified by her assignment to NHK which I'm pretty sure is in close proximity to Sectionals.

Yes, I knew all of that language.

But are you saying that a skater with a GP assignment that excuses her/him from Sectionals also automatically is excused from Regionals???

On the previous page of this thread, the knowledgeable chuckm said that Mirai would need to compete at a Challenger or Senior B to get a bye to Sectionals -- which would allow her to skip Regionals. (In addition to NHK, which then would give her a bye to Nats.)
... NHK will give Mirai a bye through Sectionals, but for her to get a bye through Regionals, she will need to be assigned an early October B or Challenge event (Nepela or Finlandia).

So the two of you are saying contradictory things, I think.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regionals and Sectionals are two separate requirements.

Sectionals are in mid NOVEMBER. Mirai has a bye through Sectionals because of her invitation to NHK.

Regionals are in early to mid OCTOBER. As of now, Mirai does not have a bye through Regionals. If she had to do Regionals and finished 5th, having a bye through Sectionals would be meaningless.

Being assigned by USFS to an International Challenger event (not the one in Salt Lake City) in early October would excuse Mirai from Regionals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Regionals and Sectionals are two separate requirements.

Sectionals are in mid NOVEMBER. Mirai has a bye through Sectionals because of her invitation to NHK.

Regionals are in early to mid OCTOBER. As of now, Mirai does not have a bye through Regionals. If she had to do Regionals and finished 5th, having a bye through Sectionals would be meaningless.

Being assigned by USFS to an International Challenger event (not the one in Salt Lake City) in early October would excuse Mirai from Regionals.

Thanks for the detailed answer, chuckm :). I find the part about SLC esp. interesting.

So if you don't mind my picking your brain further:
Off the top of your head, do you know whether historically there have been real-life cases that a skater has had a GP assignment that would have constituted a bye to Nats .... except that s/he does not place high enough at Regionals to qualify for Sectionals? And thus the bye to Nats did become meaningless?
[I'm not doubting your post above. Just curious how often (or not) it actually comes into play in real life.]

(Please know that I'm not asking you to spend time looking anything up. Just curious if you happen to remember any cases. LOL, I don't always agree with your opinions, but I learn a lot from your posts. Thx for being such a great resource.)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I knew all of that language.

But are you saying that a skater with a GP assignment that excuses her/him from Sectionals also automatically is excused from Regionals???

On the previous page of this thread, the knowledgeable chuckm said that Mirai would need to compete at a Challenger or Senior B to get a bye to Sectionals -- which would allow her to skip Regionals. (In addition to NHK, which then would give her a bye to Nats.)

So the two of you are saying contradictory things, I think.

That's what the USFSA website says. It makes sense, since a skater good enough to get an international assignment probably deserves a bye from Regionals. This whole issue came up when Michelle was thinking of coming back in 2009. A spot was saved for her at Skate America so that she could go to Nationals. There was no talk of her going to Regionals. If the rules have changed, then someone please cite the language from the USFSA.