Naomi Nari Nam retires from competition | Golden Skate

Naomi Nari Nam retires from competition

Sylvia

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081010&content_id=52854&vkey=ice_news
"Recently, I received some sad news from my doctors," the 23-year-old said. "After successful hip surgery last year, the new cartilage in my hip is being compressed when I skate. By continuing, I risk damaging it again. So it is with heavy heart, and the consideration for my future health, that I have decided to retire from competitive skating."
Nam/Leftheris were assigned to a Senior B competition (Coupe de Nice next week) and were forced to withdraw this week.

Fans can send Naomi and Themi a message of support at this link: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/nam-leftheris/contact.html

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This is so sad and so surprising. I was so happy that Naomi had the chance to get back into skating with a pairs career, but was doubtful at the begining that it would be any healthier for her hip than singles skating. She really loved skating obviously and this must be very disappointing for her. I was looking foward to seeing them make the olympic team.
I loved watching Naomi as a singles skater and as a beautiful mature pair skater.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! This news is such a bummer! :cry: I will miss her bubbly personality on and off the ice. I wish her all the best, and hope Themi can continue to skate pairs with another partner if he'd like to continue in the sport.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I am really wondering now why the heck I did NOT find this surprising in the least.:confused: Maybe the talk of the surgery before and I just assumed??? But then again Rudy did great, but than again he retired from the same aspects ..... ????? Hum...
I realy would think she would bounce back. Maybe just a recovery time more than just a season - and we'll see her back in form skating with a company or something in the next 2 years???

Great team, will be missed :agree:

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
I will definitely miss her lovely lively personality. Always a joy to behold on and off the ice.

Am important point from all of this though IMO is that perhaps someone in sports medicine should maybe try to see if there might possibly be anything that younger skaters and their coaches might need to know... or be aware of... or become more familiar with... which might.... might... help another skater avoid injuries to the extent that Naomi has suffered, and other top skaters have endured.

Yes... I am sure that each athlete's problems have their unique aspects... and overuse/"abuse" type situations of a certain body part (repetitive stress injury) OBVIOUSLY plays a role... but still... if there's anything that can be learned from her own difficulties with injuries... I hope that it can be.

Naomi will always be pure sunlight and joy when I think of her contribution to the excitement of American skating. Here's to wishing her plenty of the same in the life she has ahead of her.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I went onto icenetwork to check the price for the new season(which isnt out yet), and walked out of the room to grab my coffee and oj and as I walked by the room I saw Naomi's picture and was thrilled that maybe there was news about a competition they were just in or something. To my dismay it was her retirement :no: I was soooo looking forward to seeing them compete this year.:cry: They have been my favorite US pairs team since they formed Thaomi.:love: I had been hoping for a podium finish at Nationals this year for them. my heart is just breaking.:frown:

Although I will miss her competing Naomi Nari Nam was very wise in her decision not to further injure herself by competing. I am just thankful we got to see her come back for singles to do pairs. I wish her the very best and hope we will get to see her in some way with skating. :love:She is such a talented beautiful girl and its soo sad her body just wasnt able to keep up. Best of luck in whatever she wants to do in the future.

I also wish Themi the best in his search for a new partner.:agree:

Last edited:

iceminx

On the Ice
:cry:
Naomi's sp from the silver medal win was amazing. I always felt that the new age rule to prevent more jumping beans victimized Naomi (as well as Mao, Yuna, and now Caroline and Mirai.)